INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Remote astrometry solver Howto?

• Thank you received: 375
I have just taken a look at the remote astrometry option introduced to Ekos some time ago. I understand that you need to run an INDI server on the remote machine hosting index files. The question is how to set it up? I can't find this info anywhere.
So, what exactly must be running on the server side and how to specify the remote host on the client side? Anybody willing to write a brief howto?
7 years 3 months ago #13631

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

If astrometry.net is installed on the remote PC along with index files then nothing more to do really, I guess this is why there never was a HOWTO. So just sudo apt-get install astrometry.net, and then download the index files to /usr/share/astrometry and off you go.
7 years 3 months ago #13653

• Thank you received: 0
And could you please also explain how to install astrometry.net on a Windows PC? What to download (and potentially how) and where to install?
7 years 3 months ago #13743

Using astrometry.net on Windows is still not supported. Btw, there is an updated version of KStars in the website if you want to download that. It might fix some of your issues.
7 years 3 months ago #13752

• Thank you received: 375
It looks like I misunderstood the remote astrometry concept at all.
1) Does it mean that remote astrometry has to be installed on the main indiserver side?
OR
2) I can have separate indiserver instance (with astrometry installed) and can access it remotely from Ekos? If so how to specify IP address of this server?

So far I assumed that we're talking about option 2) so that's why I was looking for a howto. If we're talking about option 1) it is indeed straight forward.

BTW. remote astrometry as in option 2) could be a nice feature though ;)
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
7 years 2 months ago #13881

• Thank you received: 87
I only used it once, but, if I understood it right, it's option 1)
I remember I had to configure it on server.
7 years 2 months ago #13882

Yes it always was #1. I'll check the Alignment article and try to make it more clear there.
7 years 2 months ago #13902

• Thank you received: 32
Didnt want to open a new topic on this same item.

I have Astrometry and indexes installed on my Raspberry Pi, and I am connecting to INDI on the Pi from KStars/Ekos on Windows. I have the align module set to remote. When I try to use the plate solver, and click Load & Slew, and feed it a fits file from a previous session, I just get a message that says "Starting remote solver..." then aborts after 180 seconds.

Is there something else I am supposed to do?
7 years 1 month ago #14722

Actually load&slew is not supported in remote astrometry mode. There is a new release out now (Linux/Windows) and it would disable the button if you select remote solver. You can do load&slew with online solver (ANSVR) then for the rest use remote.
7 years 1 month ago #14730

• Thank you received: 0
Hi all!!

I want to ask if Load & Slew it is supported in the Remote astrometry mode.

3 years 10 months ago #54428

Yes it works!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ignacio Novalbos Cantador
3 years 10 months ago #54483

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds