INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Polar Alignment Assistant (Beta) is here!

• Thank you received: 51
A silly idea.
I wonder if it could be possible to have a blind polar alignment using sound.
Let me explain. If I have no screen near the mount, situation that could happen when in remote.
After running the AP till the end at home,
I move to the mount,
To perform the correction, without screen, I listen to the sound given by a speaker plugged in the Pi, if I I walk away the target the speaker gives beeps which frequency decrease with increasing distance to the target, on the other hand beeps frequency increase when approaching the target and the sound get uninterrupted when the target is within an acceptable distance.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Patrick.
7 years 1 month ago #14868
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 375
Sounds like a good idea but difficult to implement. This would require not only loop-capturing images but also loop-resolving them. Both take significant time so sound feedback might include material lagtime. Anyway I would use it if it's feasible to implement it.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Radek Kaczorek.
7 years 1 month ago #14870
  • Thank you received: 3
Dear Jasem,

I've been away from the forum for a while and just returned to see that you already made an Ekos Polar Alignment Assistant. This is really impressive and I'd like to thank you for all your effort! This will make a big difference for me!! I will report back as soon as I can test the tool under the stars.

Best wishes
Stephan
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Pepe.
7 years 1 month ago #14892
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi,

Just a little feedback about this tool. I made my polar alignment using this assistant. Everything works fine and it seems to be accurate. I've done 900s exposure frame without problem.
However, I didn't check the accuracy with another tool but to me it seems to be good :cheer: .

The tool is very simple to use, it's like using the PoleMaster software.

Great job !!

Davy
7 years 1 month ago #14931
  • Thank you received: 32
Just wanted to say I finally had some clear skies to test this one and I'm OVER THE MOON about how nice it is! 16 arc-seconds off in under 5 minutes. My hat is off to you Jasem, you're awesome.
7 years 4 weeks ago #15250
  • Thank you received: 87
Just to report on tonight alignment. I have put the mount very close to the NCP and tested the wizard and it worked very well indeed!
BUT if the mount is not close enough to the pole and it asks to move the mount, it always detects the NCP on the wrong side of URSA MINOR. It does capture and solve the images correctly but moves to the wrong direction (inverted). Anyone having this issue????
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by nMAC.
7 years 4 weeks ago #15260
Not sure if I had the same, but I indeed did get a message that the NCP wasn't in view (while I must have been very close) and when I gave permission to move the mount it went too far and I cancelled it. I redid it, ignored the message and all went fine anyway.
7 years 4 weeks ago #15261

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
I will check this out on my mount and see if I can reproduce it. Thanks for the report.

Can someone also try to verify the results by using another method to double check? It doesn't appear that anyone check their results with another method thus far.
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 4 weeks ago #15264
  • Thank you received: 226
I encountered this. It appears to trace wide arcs and then the pointer jumped 180°. I thought it was cone error preventing me from pointing at NPC, but I recalibrated that and I wasn't that far off.
Using EQMod Driver with Skywatcher HEQ5
7 years 4 weeks ago #15265
  • Thank you received: 87
Supernov that's exactly what happened to me but I did let it finish the movement and noticed the wrong place on kstars. Then I made a second alignment and like you, it worked.

Ihoujin I noticed that jump too. When it reaches very close to polaris it jumps 180°.
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by nMAC.
7 years 4 weeks ago #15271
Well, I should have known that slewing uncalibrated mount near the pole might end up in odd discontinuities like this. I will try to test it tonight and see if I can figure out a way to do it properly and safely. If not, I'll disable the auto slew and just advise the user to move the mount closer themselves.
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 4 weeks ago #15283
But thing is, I know the NCP was in view I wasn't that far off. And yes I have to test the accuracy in another way but guiding at 0.3" afterwards sort of tells me it was bang on. :)
7 years 4 weeks ago #15284
Time to create page: 0.469 seconds