INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Polar Alignment Assistant (Beta) is here!

• Thank you received: 34
I still have this strange issue with what appears to be a meridian flip while doing alignment.

Before I did the alignment I slew the mount to EAST a bit more than 90 deg° in RA to be sure to have enough space to do two 15° slews to WEST without meridian flip.

I recorded a session with two alignments, the first worked, it did the 15° deg. west rotations without going to the other side.
The second (to prove the accuracy) was far off and it did? a meridian flip although I started at roughly the same RA as in the first alignment... Maybe I am to stupid and should read "Telescope for dummies" again, especially section meridian flip :silly:

If someone finds a reason why the second alignment did slew to the other side and why the result is so far off from the first one please let me know :)

VIdeo:

Log:

File Attachment:

File Name: log_19-58-07.txt
File Size:640 KB
--= human, without Windows™ =--
pls excuse my bad english! :)
7 years 1 day ago #15708
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
Ok, I found out if I dont do the +90° RA rotation at the beginning but instead use 15° west and continue to rotate 15° west everything works fine.
7 years 1 day ago #15720
Also, I noticed from the video when you recheck, you manually go back to the beginning and start again. No need. just start again from where you are, but reverse the direction (i.e. east instead of West), and you're set!
7 years 21 hours ago #15733
yes I'll do that. By the way, my yesterday test session did run smoothly, no alignment errors, no crashes! Really nice :)
7 years 21 hours ago #15736
  • Thank you received: 375
Note that after first run your mount remembers 3 alignment points (based on 3 resolved captures), next you adjust the mount manually with screws, so these alignment points are not valid anymore, but probably are used in the next run of the procedure. Can you check on your mount's Align tab how many points are used before the second run? I believe it might be the root cause of this issue in some circumstances. In such a case it's enough to clear all the points before the second run.
7 years 13 hours ago #15754
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi! (first post!)

I've been toying with PAA, CCD Simulator and Telescope Simulator from the git repository and after completing the process I always get about 5' 40' - 5' 50' of PA error. In fact, the same behaviour can be seen in Jasem's video (watch it from 5:10 onwards):

As you can see, there's a PA error of 5' 41".

In my mind, both CCD Simulator and Telescope simulator should be "perfect" and have 0 PA.

Is there a bug somewhere? am I worrying too much?

Thank you!
6 years 8 months ago #17698
No, the simulators have some error, this is normal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guillem
6 years 8 months ago #17702
  • Thank you received: 155
Will this tool work when you can't see anywhere near either pole?
I live right on the equator and both poles are obscured by 10's of degrees.

Peter
5 years 9 months ago #26613
I highly doubt it would do any good near the equator... I mean what folks on the equator use to "polar align"?
5 years 9 months ago #26615
???
I’m on the equator and I need to polar align.
5 years 9 months ago #26616
I know :D

I meant, what is the usual method employed by those near the equator given that the poles are near the horizon?
5 years 9 months ago #26622
The only way is drift aligning.
5 years 9 months ago #26625
Time to create page: 0.583 seconds