Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
27 Feb 2017
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.4.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers. Several improvements and enhancements are included in this release including native support for Cygwin and MacOS platforms in addition to Linux, BSD, and Windows (Client only).
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Possible flat calibration issue...

Possible flat calibration issue... 2 months 1 week ago #15390

• maudy
  • maudy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Hi,

Is there a known issue with flat calibration and setting the time to infinity?

It is not clear why it happens.

Steps to recreate:

1. Set sub to Flat
2. Set ADU to 12000
3. Set exposure to 1 sec
3. Start capture

Some times the calibration works, sometimes now. Editing the exposure to reset the value and redoing until a value allows it to work, was the work around.

Once the sequence was created and saved, rerunning the sequence still resulted in 2 of the seven filters needing to have exposures played with.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Possible flat calibration issue... 2 months 1 week ago #15393

I do not know what camera you use, but with my ASI1600 I had a similar issue where it couldn't figure out the right exposure time for the ADU I wanted. I set the exposure to start at 0.5 seconds and the problem never resurfaced.

Possible flat calibration issue... 2 months 1 week ago #15395

I added more debug logging for this feature in the next KStars release so hopeully we'll know what's going on. Basically, after the 2nd capture, it tries to do llsq/polynomial fitting for the data to get the optimal exposure, so something wrong went there. When we have the logs in the future we might know why and fix it.

Possible flat calibration issue... 1 month 4 weeks ago #15761

• maudy
  • maudy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Please find the logs for the flat calibrations. There were at least two filters that went to infinity.
Attachments:

Possible flat calibration issue... 1 month 4 weeks ago #15787

You attached log for ASI, not Ekos.

Possible flat calibration issue... 1 month 4 weeks ago #15794

• nmac
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 40
I had those problems too. Yesterday I took flats set the count to 22000 and 0.5s and ekos failed to find the best exposure after some iterations.
I have set it to the lowest possible value (0.001s) and on the second try it worked. From what I have seen in my system, when the defined exposure (0.5s) is higher than the predicted exposure (in my case 0.027s) ekos has some kind of difficulty to find it. When it's lower than expected it works fine, it goes up until it finds the correct one.
In my case I was using an Atik 420M.

(PT) SC@ROS Observatory
RPi3 / Explore Scientific ES80480 / Canon 550D / ESFF 2" / ASI120MM / Arduino Moonlite DC Clone- HEQ5 Pro
RPi2 / Orion 120ST / Atik 420m / WOIII / SSAG - Arduino Moonlite DC Clone - LXD75
www.flickr.com/photos/139335144@N03/
Last Edit: by nmac.

Possible flat calibration issue... 1 month 4 weeks ago #15795

I don't suppose there are Ekos logs around?

Possible flat calibration issue... 1 month 4 weeks ago #15796

• nmac
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Yes, I have logs but I don't have access to them right now but I will post them when possible.
Thanks.

(PT) SC@ROS Observatory
RPi3 / Explore Scientific ES80480 / Canon 550D / ESFF 2" / ASI120MM / Arduino Moonlite DC Clone- HEQ5 Pro
RPi2 / Orion 120ST / Atik 420m / WOIII / SSAG - Arduino Moonlite DC Clone - LXD75

Possible flat calibration issue... 1 month 3 weeks ago #15855

• nmac
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well here are my logs on flats capture. You can see on the end of file when I made the capture there is a failure:

2017-03-29T00:19:12.094 - DEBG - Capture: next FLAT exposure is -4150.86
2017-03-29T00:19:12.094 - DEBG - Capture: "Unable to calculate optimal exposure settings, please capture the flats manually."

That's where I set the exposure to 0.001s. And no problems after this.
Attachments:

(PT) SC@ROS Observatory

Possible flat calibration issue... 1 month 3 weeks ago #15860

nmac wrote: Well here are my logs on flats capture. You can see on the end of file when I made the capture there is a failure:

2017-03-29T00:19:12.094 - DEBG - Capture: next FLAT exposure is -4150.86
2017-03-29T00:19:12.094 - DEBG - Capture: "Unable to calculate optimal exposure settings, please capture the flats manually."

That's where I set the exposure to 0.001s. And no problems after this.

Heh.. Looks like a math mistake. Glad to hear you got it working.

Possible flat calibration issue... 1 month 3 weeks ago #15871

Thanks for the log. This is why I stress on logs because now I identified the issue. General descriptions of the problem can sometimes be next to useless if not accompanied by log. Description + Log = FTW!

So the issue is that at 1 second, the flat image was already saturated and the code didn't deal with saturated case so it was including them in the calculations when it should not. I pushed the fix to Git and might make a release tomorrow in the PPA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nmac, rockstarbill

Possible flat calibration issue... 1 month 3 weeks ago #15873

• nmac
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Great! Thanks Jasem.
That's why it worked at 0.001s, makes sense.

(PT) SC@ROS Observatory
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica