INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Items from last night's INDI/Ekos/Kstars session

• Thank you received: 1
After getting a new micro SD card and loading it with my Raspberry Jessie image, I suddenly had logs!
I saw that on the pi the log is created in /home/pi/.indi, but when I switch to the sd card with Ubuntu Mate the logs are created in /root/.indi, while my root is /home/bert and this must be the reason that the logs are not created.

The question is now, where (in which file) is this root defined?

I hope that with this explanation an answer will come up.

Regards, Bert
Windows 10 64-bit with remote access to Embedded Raspberry PI 3 with Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3 LTS and KStars 2.9.8, Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO, Robtics 80mm F7 doublet apochromaat refractor + CentralDS CDS-600DII
6 years 5 months ago #19889
The topic has been locked.
I think you ran INDI Web Manager as root and this is why it was writing to to /root/.indi and not $HOME/.indi

This is why it is recomended NOT to run the Web Manager as root.
6 years 5 months ago #19896
  • Thank you received: 3
Same problem here with two QHYCCD cameras. But they arent working together undependant of the driver settings. If i choose one driver for both...nope.
If i choose qhyccd for CCD an qhyccd for Guider, only one of the cameras operates (if i am lucky).
Seems that EKOS indi is not in a stable condition. Hope that these problems dont occur when you are operating your observatory remote and are a few (hundred) miles
away, which is one of the main reasons for indi. :-(
I havent tried to use a second rpi3 and attach the second camera to that device. Could be a cheap workaround until the driver problems are solved.
Robert
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Robert Leisenz.
6 years 5 months ago #19898
The QHY issue is a problem with the QHY SDK and not an issue with INDI or Ekos. If QHY do not fix their SDK to enable simultaneous operations of multiple QHY cameras (which is possible without issues in other cameras), then we can't do much. AFAIK, QHY is working on this, but contact them for specific details.
6 years 5 months ago #19899
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm a Linux newbie and got confused by the fact that there seem to be two roots. A linux root and a user root. So when knro wrote: "This is why it is recommended NOT to run the Web Manager as root.", I uninstalled indiweb with sudo and reinstalled it for user, and ended up nowhere.

Then I found this item . So I reversed my actions again and reinstalled as root. Problem remained that the .service scripts were nowhere to be found. So I eventually downloaded the .zip from GitHub, changed the user in indiwebmanager-pi.service to my username, RENAMED the file to indiwebmanager.service before copying it to the /etc/systemd/system folder. Finally I got my logs.

This may all be very clear to Linux savvies, but may I ask to have a little consideration with Linux newbies? But, after all, I'm glad its working now.

Regards, Bert
Windows 10 64-bit with remote access to Embedded Raspberry PI 3 with Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3 LTS and KStars 2.9.8, Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO, Robtics 80mm F7 doublet apochromaat refractor + CentralDS CDS-600DII
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by BJ Ruiterkamp.
6 years 5 months ago #19906
Yeah I will update this so that there is only one service file.. INDI Web shouldn't run as root.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BJ Ruiterkamp
6 years 5 months ago #19952
  • Thank you received: 2
just wanted to add some of my things from my last imaging night
- while doing flats with a wall mounted box my eqmod controlled mount was enabling guiding (I could understand dithering but not guiding while doing flats on a wall position)
- after doing flats the ekos interface was switched to lights but when capturing a frame it actually tried to run a flat frame (going to wall position) - I guess that it somehow did not correctly cancel a strange 2000s exposure in indi and failed to sync the switch from flat to light to indi (after stopping and resetting everything it was working as expected) I probably have to reproduce that to give more helpful feedback
- while imaging and using the internal guider my rpi lost connection from ekos to indi twice (kstars running via vnc and ekos doing everything locally) The second disconnect happened while switching the view in kstars. (probably kstars was busy and delayed ekos too much)

I need to remember to create logs by default.
6 years 5 months ago #20065
  • Thank you received: 10
I know I probably should not jump into this thread, but, it's long overdue for me to say my piece concerning QHY and Linux. For many years, QHY and I have been very close friends, and during those years, I have suggested and pushed for QHY to develop Linux drivers for the various cameras which they created. This has always met with direct opposition because QHY believes that Linux represents a small portion of the user market.

Because of this lack of support from the top, this has always been a luke warm or volunteer approach. For those wishing to use QHY cameras on Linux, I offer this direct quote: "Hi Dan,
we will update the INDI driver ASAP after finishing our current Macos support, we are working on.
Yes, there probably is issue related to run multiple cameras with the current driver/indi, so it is in my
TODO work on that.

Please note, this was developed by another programmer, so we have to rework that.
Sorry for that problems, "

So, I will say this regarding INDI with QHY cameras. Users should use multiple softwares in order to guarantee use of separate QHY drivers. For example: Run KStars with a QHY primary camera using INDI. In a totally separate desktop, run Lin_guider to control a QHY or Orion Guide camera which uses the CCCD firmware driver. You will find this separation works, although total KStars is not achieved.

INDI is a slow mechanism at best when controlling multiple simultaneous tasks. When operated on machinery with limited capacity and multiple USB devices, care should be taken to isolate critical USB pathways in order to prevent traffic collisions. And while I must admit, I have not examined the exact data buss of a Pi2 or Pi3 with regard to serial communications, I have found on the ODroid, that one of the USB serial ports is being shared with the LAN interface. Such design compromises must be considered when making wiring connections.

Dan
6 years 5 months ago #20072

Yeah logs would be helpful, check my signature for how to.
6 years 5 months ago #20074
  • Thank you received: 32
Quite frankly, I've had the exact same answer from QHY like a year ago and gave up. I switched to another manufacturer and couldn't be happier.
6 years 5 months ago #20075
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello supernov,

what kind of device do you use now instead of QHY? I think i will also sell my QHY cameras and will never go back to that brand.

Thanx
Robert
6 years 5 months ago #20077
  • Thank you received: 32
More expensive, but totally worth the cost; a Lodestar X2. Earlier version is also fine and besides it being amazingly sensitive in comparison, the drivers are behaving great as well. Not to be totally negative about QHY, many use those cameras and have no problem, but for me I noticed (even under Windows) that it was the last part of my setup that wasn't behaving like it should. And support is almost non-existent especially if you're using Linux, which I get to a certain extent, but that does mean I was gone as a costumer and will buy brands that have a better track record in that regard.
6 years 5 months ago #20078
Time to create page: 1.089 seconds