INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars 2.8.1 "Hipster" release is out!

• Thank you received: 51
Just updated to 2.8.1 and exploring menus for news in Kstars I browsed the settings. Trying to use the Geographic turned in a crash without nothing in log about it.
There is still an issue with the options in the Alignment panel in which under insufficient resolution the buttons to Cancel or Accept options are unreachable. A slider on the right and a more appropriate dimension, compatible with limited resolutions, would be nice.
6 years 7 months ago #18582

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 155
I downloaded the updated version and I still get the same error, and cannot connect a CEM25 to Stars with OSX. Everything starts up fine, until:

[2017-08-19T17:01:58.412 PKT INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - CEM25 : "Time and date updated. "
[2017-08-19T17:01:58.414 PKT INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - CEM25 : "Site location updated to Lat 33:37:00 - Long 73:05:59 "
[2017-08-19T17:01:58.561 PKT DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - INDI Server: "Child process 1140 died"
[2017-08-19T17:01:58.561 PKT DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - INDI Server: "2017-08-19T12:01:58: Driver indi_ieq_telescope: stderr EOF"
[2017-08-19T17:01:58.562 PKT DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - INDI Server: ""
[2017-08-19T17:01:58.562 PKT CRIT ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - INDI driver "indi_ieq_telescope" crashed!
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Peter Kennett.
6 years 7 months ago #18586
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 809
Hi PK,

The log you posted is not detailed enough to help diagnose the problem because the issue is probably with an INDI driver not KStars itself. Thus the KStars log does provide useful contextual information but won't identify the problem. What we really need is a log of what the driver did. A simple way to get all of the feedback about what the driver is doing is to start it from the command line and then just use KStars to connect to it "remotely." Here are some instructions:

To try to run the indiserver from the command line:
1. Open Terminal.app
2. Right click on KStars.app (wherever you installed it) and click on "show package contents"
3. Navigate to the Contents/MacOS/INDI folder
4. Go back to the terminal and type "cd " in the terminal.
5. Drag the indi folder to the terminal window, it should type the path after your "cd". Hit enter.
6. Now you are "in" the indi folder in the terminal.
7. Type the following command exactly as it shows in the terminal:
./indiserver -vvv ./indi_ieq_telescope

The driver should start up and the terminal will display all of its messages in detail. Then you can startup KStars and connect to a "remote" indiserver called local host. Then when you try to use the telescope, all of the details should print in the Terminal window. You can then save the Terminal log or copy and paste any relevant parts into a text/word document.

Thanks,

Rob

6 years 7 months ago #18589

Thanks Rob, I'll try this. Question: You stated I should "connect to a "remote" indiserver called local host."
Can you please break that down into specific steps? I had been simply selecting Device - CEM25 from the Device Manager and then choosing "Local" and then "Run Service" since the scope is attached to the same computer. How do "connect to a "remote" indiserver called local host." from the device manager?
Thanks again for your help.
6 years 7 months ago #18610

Ok, I was assuming you were starting it up using Ekos. In Ekos, you can either start an indiserver or connect to remote ones which could be running on your Mac or some other computer.
6 years 7 months ago #18612

Please update this issue should be fixed now.
6 years 7 months ago #18622

Thanks again Rob. So what should I do after I start up INDI server from the command line?
Should I start KSTARS and try and connect from the "local" service, or connect remotely. If remotely, how exactly do I do that?

Also - I think it would be best if have KSTARS running my mount properly before I attempt to move into EKOS, do you agree?

Peter
6 years 7 months ago #18624

Here's some screenshots showing what I was trying to do, and perhaps it's just user error. I will post server logs soon.
(see attached PDF).

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

As far s I can tell, this is the procedure to connect KSTARS to a mount. I just tried again with both AstroTelescope and Skysafari and the mounts runs perfectly. So the physical connections to the Mac are working well.
6 years 7 months ago #18631
Attachments:

Peter,

Are you planning to use KStars for Astrophotography or just for controlling the mount? If you want to do astrophotography you will want to use Ekos which is the dome button on the toolbar. If not, then your method to connect using device manager is fine.

To run the test I mentioned in my other post, running indi from the command line and connecting to it "remotely" from kstars, you can use this interface instead of Ekos but you will need to follow these steps after you do the steps I posted before to get the indiserver started.

0. Follow the steps in my other post to get the embedded Indiserver started from the command line.
1. In device manager, click the Client tab (not the Local/Server tab
2. Click the add button.
3. Type a name you will use to remember this host.
4. For the Host, type localhost
5. For the port, type 7624 and then click ok.
6. Click, connect (in device manager)
7. When the Indi control panel pops up, click Connect.

Now a lot of stuff should be printing in the Terminal, basically it is everything the driver is doing. Save or copy that transcript.

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 7 months ago #18673

Here's the log from the terminal, following your instructions.
The Connect green light is on, but the scope does not respond to any commands.

File Attachment:

File Name: TerminalSa...tput.txt
File Size:71 KB

PS: I want to use EKOS for photography and KSTARS to control the mount. I had thought that if I can't get KSTARS to work, EKOS will not be much use.
6 years 7 months ago #18681
Attachments:

Thanks, we're very close to the problem. But one more step is required. Before you connect, go to Options --> Enable Debug then you'll see two new properties for Debug & Logging, Check all Logging checkboxes on and select "Log to File" (See signature for more details). You'll get a detailed log file for the mount communication. Attach this file.
6 years 7 months ago #18685

The reason I was asking is because I actually have never connected my mount with device manager. I have always just used Ekos. But yes, this has been useful in this case since you really don't need to connect a camera or to get Ekos all started up just to check if the mount connects properly.
6 years 7 months ago #18712

Time to create page: 0.757 seconds