INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Polar alignment non-goto mount

• Thank you received: 3
Hi!

Last night I tried Ekos (stellarmate) on a small sky adventurer travel mount. As theses type of mounts do not have any DEC correction it is very helpful to have good polar alignment.

I tried to use the Ekos polar alignment routine together with the telescope simulator. I realized that between each capture and solve step the mount needs to be rotated by an adjustable amount. I tried to do that but couldn't quite match the necessary degree. I guess a goto mount would just do the job automatically.

Is there a way to use polar alignment also for manual non goto mounts?

Best regards
Stephan
6 years 7 months ago #18724

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Pepe on topic Polar alignment non-goto mount

Sorry if I ask again ... is there a way to use the new Ekos polar alignment procedure without goto mount?

CS
Stephan
6 years 7 months ago #18822

• Thank you received: 11
I think in the case of non-goto mounts you should drift align.

The Ekos alignment tool is based on mathematical formula and subsequent measurement, it therefore requires digital accuracy from the DEC rotation.
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
6 years 7 months ago #18824

Replied by Pepe on topic Polar alignment non-goto mount

Hi!

Thanks for you reply! I understand that the polar alignment involves plate solving and a mathematical algorithm. But what I do not quite get is why the mount should rotate by a defined angle? That information is already right there and can be retrieved by plate solving too. In fact, that's what software like SharpCap does. I can get a decent polar alignment within five minutes on a non-goto mount. But that's on windows and does not run on Rpi3. I'd prefer Ekos :-)

Clear skies
Stephan
6 years 7 months ago #18828

It can be done, but currently not supported by Ekos. Maybe in a future version.
6 years 7 months ago #18829

• Thank you received: 0
Just for info. I also want to use a polar alignment algorithm on a StarAdventurer. I have done that using SharpCap under Windows but want to centralise my system around a Pi running Astroberry. Thus this facility would get another vote from me. For a use of a mount such as this I would not really want to go through a drift alignment process.

Thanks for all the work that is done to make this such an excellent suite of applications.

David
3 years 9 months ago #55868

• Thank you received: 182
Just use the polar scope for rough alignment and then PHD2 to drift align and fine tune. It is almost as fast as the rotational alignment.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Jose Corazon.
3 years 9 months ago #55872

• Thank you received: 420
You can use Telescope Simulator for a mount and then do the rotation manually. Once you have done the two rotations manually you can proceed normally with the polar alignment.

Wouter
3 years 9 months ago #55875

• Thank you received: 53
Use PHD2 Polar Drift Alignment tool. You just select a star near the pole, make sure tracking is on , then start the tool. It shows you where you need to move the star to for a pretty good polar alignment. Not as precise as other methods but very simple and quick. No need to rotate the mount or anything like that. Can be done without PHD2 being calibrated also.
If there's enough interest, maybe the tool could be incorporated into EKOS?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
3 years 9 months ago #55889

Having that tool incorporated into Ekos would be fantastic, Ken! It is not a big deal starting PHD2 for PA and then shut it down again and start Kstars, but having it all in one would very convenient.
Jo
3 years 9 months ago #55890

• Thank you received: 138
Ekos already has two PA tools, one of which is at least similar to the drift method that PHD2 uses.

I don't understand this desire to put everything in one big bucket, the whole point of modern multitasking operating systems is to be able to use multiple things at the same time.
3 years 9 months ago #55899

Not a problem if someone has a third camera just for PA, but if one wants to use the guide cam or main cam for drift alignment, one would have to first start PHD2, then drift align, then quit PHD2, then start KStars to avoid a conflict with the camera being recognized by two systems (provided one wants to use the internal guider with the guide cam). By integrating a drift align option into Ekos, that (small) hassle is averted.

Anyway, if I understood that correctly, Ken was just wondering whether there was interest and in principle, I think there is. I would not need this much, since I use the PA tool in Ekos already and that works great with the polemaster, but for others it might be useful.
3 years 9 months ago #55924

Time to create page: 0.886 seconds