INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

PhD2 via Ekos on Windows machine while INDI running on RPI3

• Thank you received: 2
Hi guys,

Newbie dumb question here, I have the following setup:
INDI running on an RPI3 (server), KStars / Ekos running on my Windows Laptop (client).
I've got everything working great using the built-in guider in Ekos, but I would like to run PhD2 instead, which of course, is installed on the Windows client machine. I read the instructions on, www.indilib.org/about/ekos/guide-module.html#h8-using-phd2, but I cannot get PhD2 to connect through Ekos. The error that I get is that the address is not available. In the profile setup guiding field, I have local / port 0 which must be incorrect. The other problem is that in PhD2, how do I tell the equipment setup for the guide camera / mount to look to INDI for the port information? Normally, I would assign COM1, or COM* if I was not using KStars / Ekos / INDI but I now know this would be redundant.

I just learned about PhD2 build 2.6.3dev7 which now has and INDI option for the port connections, but can't get that to work either. I selected INDI camera / INDI mount and entered port 7624 but that didn't work either. Also, in the Ekos profile, for the guider option I tried, PhD2 / local / port 7624, PhD2 / the IP address of RPI3 server running INDI / 7624 and that didn't work either. Maybe I have to use another port?

Sorry for showing my ignorance here. If there is another link / forum posting with more detailed instructions, please forward me where I might find it.
Thanks,
-Gene
6 years 6 months ago #19011

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 29
Hi Gene,

Attached is a screenshot of the settings I am using. In EKOS profile editor I selected simply the equipmemt I am using, in this example ASI ZWO for the guidecam and the telescope simulator. I did not select anything that relates as such to phd2.

Did you actually "start indi" in EKOS, before trying to connect the devices in phd2?

Hope this helps.

Helge
6 years 6 months ago #19024
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 2
Thank-you Helge, this was very helpful.

My version of PHD2 was old and I did not see the options shown in your screen shot. I updated my PHD2 and now it works (and makes sense). Before, I was trying to figure out how PHD2 would work because it controls the mount and camera through the COM ports of my laptop which are now located on a remote computer (RPI3) running as the INDI server. I knew that I had to be missing something somewhere, so that's why I wrote the posting.

If anyone else reads this, I might suggest more detailed instructions on section 8 of the Guide Module page in using Ekos. www.indilib.org/about/ekos/guide-module.html Mainly, in the 3rd paragraph, I got lost after the first sentence. It would help if more explanation in what it means to "select your INDI equipment and set their options.", in PHD2. For a newbie like me who's learning how all of this works, more explanation on how to do this would really help.

Clear skies,
-Gene
6 years 6 months ago #19134

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds