INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Solver fails to find binaries on Mac

• Thank you received: 66
I'm now getting the impression that astrometry is not installed. There's no sign of it in the /usr/local/bin directory. I've had this working before. Has it been removed from the Mac install?
6 years 6 months ago #19447

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
Are you using the KStars from the DMG posted on the website? The KStars.app in the DMG has all of the programs it needs embedded inside the app. If you build kstars yourself or got it some other way, then you will have some additional setup steps to do like installing astrometry.net, indi, xplanet, etc as well as configuring them properly. I would highly recommend using the one from the DMG.

If you did get it from the DMG, go into the preferences and double check that it is set to use the embedded indiserver, astrometry binaries, and xplanet.

If you are using a homebrew version of astrometry or build it from source yourself, then it probably is looking in /usr/local/bin for the binaries and /usr/local/share for the index files. We are using ~/Library/Application Support/Astrometry for the embedded astrometry for several reasons. First, it is where mac applications are supposed to put their support files. Second, it is where the Cloudmakers Astrometry solver puts its files as well so that you can have both programs installed and share the same files. Also, people that don't use homebrew or build open source software probably don't use /usr/local.

Hopefully this helps.
6 years 6 months ago #19452

Yes, I have the 2.8.3 dmg but I can't find any setup for astrometry binaries, other than ~/Library/Application Support/Astrometry showing up in the setup wizard.

EDIT: Oops! I found the selection after starting Ekos, and it seems to be working now. Thanks!
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Greg.
6 years 6 months ago #19461

Well it's performing astrometry but it fails immediately. I don't think it even attempted. Before when It worked it would give the time spent. I've tried getting more logging but haven't seen anything significant.
6 years 6 months ago #19463

If it fails immediately, then that probably means astrometry encountered an error when it tried to run. Did you perform the steps that I outlined in the Quickstart.pdf in the dmg? In order for astrometry.net to work correctly, python, pip, pyfits, and netpbm all need to be installed on your system since it relies on them to function. I outlined the steps in the pdf. It is not too difficult. I did attempt to make a series of buttons in the KStars startup wizard that you can try to use to install the required items, but I'm not sure they work as well as my instructions in the pdf.

If you want a quick way to check to see what the actual error is, when you run astrometry in kstars, the command it tries to run is printed in the log at the bottom of the ekos window. You can copy and paste that into the OS X terminal and hit enter and see what actually failed. My bet is that it will state that pyfits is not installed, but you would have to try it to be sure.

Thanks,

Rob
6 years 6 months ago #19464

Sweat! That was good help. It reported it didn't recognize the option "no fits2fits ". I removed it and it did a successful solve. Yes! Thank you!
6 years 6 months ago #19465

• Thank you received: 155
I am still struggling with this. I tried to install Python from the installer and from Homebrew directly in the command line, but still not been able to get it to work.
Here's the screen shot that confuses me.. why does it say Python is not installed when the installer text says it is?

6 years 4 months ago #20659
Attachments:

I just uploaded an updated DMG from Robert which I believe might solve some of these issues. Can you try it out?
6 years 4 months ago #20661

Would be happy to. Can you point me to the exact download URL, so I do not try the wrong one?
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Peter Kennett.
6 years 4 months ago #20666

Same one as before on edu.kde.org/kstars
6 years 4 months ago #20667

I'll download it later tonight. My internet service here in Uganda would shock many people, as I am limited to 150 GB of data per month, which costs $160. But from midnight to 6:00AM I can download as much as I want.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Peter Kennett.
6 years 4 months ago #20669

Yes the new dmg i sent to Jasem to upload last night has all the required dependencies for astrometry wrapped in the app. So no more need to install python, pip, netpbm, numpy, or pyfits to get astrometry working. The only things that would need to be downloaded separately are the astrometry index files and if you want to use the simulators, GSC. Both of these have working installers built into kstars. If this new version works, we can probably delete or update that page in the setup wizard since it would not be needed anymore to install python, pip, pyfits, or netpbm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Kennett
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Rob Lancaster.
6 years 4 months ago #20670

Time to create page: 0.755 seconds