INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guide Star Catalog with indi_simulator_ccd driver

• Thank you received: 1
Hello,

I am completely new to astro photography so I wanted to train myself by using the simulators via KStars and EKOS. In order to receive images from the simulator, I set my GSC up according this instructions. Unfortunately I get no results in KStars. The preview is noise and the error message is: "Got no stars, is gsc installed with appropriate environment variables set ??". There is a three years old item on the forum here that is marked as SOLVED. But it is with different linux and older GSC. I ran the commands that Thorsten showed in #849 and get the same results. It is working on the PI3 but not in EKOS.
Is there someone out there with the same setup (PI Jessie with GSC and Windows 10 KStars 2.8.3) who got this working? The log file only contains login and logout messages. The telescope is unparked and tracking in sidereal mode.

Thanks in advance

Bert
Windows 10 64-bit with remote access to Embedded Raspberry PI 3 with Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3 LTS and KStars 2.9.8, Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO, Robtics 80mm F7 doublet apochromaat refractor + CentralDS CDS-600DII
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by BJ Ruiterkamp.
6 years 6 months ago #19749

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

If you don't feel attached to Raspian, I say get Ubuntu Mate 16.04 for your RPI3 and then just install everything from the PPA, less headache.
6 years 6 months ago #19751

Ok so I found the problem. The error message is wrong, it didn't draw any stars not because gsc is missing, but because you didn't either start the telescope driver or connected it. I encountered the same issue today. I updated the error message to indicate the actual problem. Meanwhile, include the telescope simulator in your profile.
6 years 6 months ago #19811

Thanks for your reply. I was rather certain that the telescope was running, but because I followed your advice to switch to Ubuntu-Mate I can not check it at the moment. I will get myself another microSD card, I have taken an image from the installed Jessie installation, so I can put it on that new card en check.

Bert
Windows 10 64-bit with remote access to Embedded Raspberry PI 3 with Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3 LTS and KStars 2.9.8, Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO, Robtics 80mm F7 doublet apochromaat refractor + CentralDS CDS-600DII
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by BJ Ruiterkamp.
6 years 6 months ago #19818

OK, I got myself a new micro sd card and put my Raspberry Jessie backup on it. Then I updated the indi driver. The result is still the same. As soon as I hit the Capture & Solve button, the CCD Simulator log says: "Got no stars, is gsc installed with appropriate environment variables set ??"

I have attached the logs, but am unsure what they will reveal.

That I have logs is a surprise, but that question is further explained in this thread .

Regards, Bert
6 years 5 months ago #19887
Attachments:

Are you sure the Telescope Simulator is connected as well? It must be there as well.
6 years 5 months ago #19893

Sorry knro,

I see that this was the wrong log. I will try to make a new one, but reinstalled from scratch, so the previous log is lost.

Regards, Bert

EDIT: I stop spending my time on this Raspian project. I've got it all working now under Ubuntu Mate. Apart from the fact that I could not get images from gsc, today I also could not get Astrometry.net compiled with gcc 4.9. Hours of lost time that could have been better spend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 5 months ago #19918

Time to create page: 0.672 seconds