INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Noob Questions

• Thank you received: 1

Noob Questions was created by Jack Fitzmier

Hi. Jack the Noob here. I have a dark sky observatory in Georgia, USA. I am a "Mac Guy" and have been trying to find solutions that avoid Windows. My recent research on INDI and Ekos suggests that these applications would solve a number of problems I have been working on. So, if you will indulge a total Noob ...

1. I put a Raspberry Pi on my pier / mount with a powered USB to handle UBS connections to cameras, focusers, and such.

2. I install INDI server on the Pi, with drivers for all of my equipment at the pier / mount.

3. I install Stars / Ekos on my Mac inside my warmup room some 20 feet from the pier.

4. I figure out how to connect Ekos on the Mac in the warm up room to the Pi / INDI server on the pier / mount via wireless or an ethernet cable.

5. I boot the Pi and the Mac, fire up Ekos, and use it to connect to the Pi's INDI server.

6. Thenceforth, when I issue a command in Ekos (warm and toasty inside), it commands INDI and its connected devices (outside in the cold).

The resolution on the Mac with Ekos remains the same? The delay time is not that slow? Really? If so, wow!

Thanks for any insights!

Jack
6 years 5 months ago #20115

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Noob Questions

Yeah that's pretty much it. For better results use Ethernet. The way I have set in my personal observatory is that Raspberry PI is located around 4 meters away from my equipment (along with other switches and relays used for roof control etc), then I hook all my equipment to it using a powered USB hub via Active USB cable just to make sure all the signals are OK and that's pretty much it. If the Raspberry PI is located pretty close to your equipment then no need for the active usb cables.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack Fitzmier
6 years 5 months ago #20121

• Thank you received: 32

Replied by Vincent Groenewold on topic Noob Questions

Like Jasem said, try to use Ethernet. Depends ofcourse on your situation, if Wifi or Bluetooth works, great, but I've seen so many weird issues using wifi at my house. Ethernet made everything so stable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack Fitzmier
6 years 5 months ago #20130

Time to create page: 0.401 seconds