INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

OS X KStars offline astrometry issues should now be fixed.

• Thank you received: 4
Downloaded a couple of hours ago and tested quickly with the simulators (it is four o' clock in the afternoon in Spain and it is raining).
It worked perfectly. Both online and offline. I've also tried uploading a capture of an astrophotography session from a few nights ago and you've solved it right away.
Only one assessment, if you have selected "no fits2fits" does not work in offline mode, it only works if it is unchecked. Offline does it both ways.
A great job. Thank you very much.
P. S.: And what do I do now with homebrew and everything else I had to install? ;)
Thank you again.
6 years 4 months ago #20674

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
That sounds great! Thanks for testing.

The no-fits2fits option is a compatibility thing. Astrometry.net changed the requirement for that option between versions. Basically if your astrometry.net binaries are older than a certain version, then you need to check that button, otherwise uncheck it. For the embedded astrometry solver in the OS X version, it should always be unchecked. The online solver ignores the option entirely to my knowledge.

At least for KStars/Ekos/INDI stuff you should no longer need the home-brew versions. So if you have no further need for it, you can uninstall it. In fact, that would be a good test to make sure it is working well because then there would be no way that it could be using the home-brew versions of any of the software since it wouldn't be on the computer at all.
6 years 4 months ago #20683

Ekos takes care of that automatically for offline astrometry version. For remote astrometry (i.e. on a remote Raspberry PI), then yes you need to uncheck if your remote astrometry.net version is > 0.67
6 years 4 months ago #20685

• Thank you received: 420
I still have astrometry issues, even on KStars 2.8.7 for OS X. I downloaded almost all FITS files from the astrometry.net website about two weeks ago. Furthermore I uninstalled the homebrew astrometry.net. When I take an image with my DSLR camera then astrometry fails to resolve the image. This, by the way, also happens on Linux, where I am using kstars bleeding where it worked fine until a few weeks ago. Sorry for not reporting this sooner but I have been travelling a lot.

I attach the "verbose" logging but I am afraid they are not very verbose at all. Any clue?
6 years 4 months ago #21191
Attachments:

According to your log it fails immediately which means it is probably a configuration issue which makes astrometry fail to start solving.

In the align tab in Ekos, Astrometry options, does it look like this:

And if you click the index files tab, does it have index files checked off like this:

And finally for the solver options, does it look like this?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 4 months ago #21192
Attachments:

The first screen looks slightly different where the WCS, Verbose and Overlay checkboxes are not ticked. The other screens look the same, except that in my case nearly all index files have check boxes. I'll try to tick the checkboxes in the first screen and see if that helps. Thanks!
6 years 4 months ago #21194

Thanks, that helped but the problem hasn't gone away completely. See the attached log. Any other ideas?
6 years 4 months ago #21196
Attachments:

Any idea what's the astrometry.net version? It doesn't show in the log when it's suppose to.
6 years 4 months ago #21197

It is using the internal one. The homebrew version I had was 0.72 but I uninstalled that.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
6 years 4 months ago #21199

Ok can you try this in the command line and see what is printed out?

First open a terminal window in OS X. Then type the following and hit enter:

export PATH=/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/netpbm/bin:/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/python/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin

Then. you need to try to plate solve an image. Then you will see the command that it tried down at the bottom of the Align Tab in Ekos. Based on your log, your last command that didn't work was this:

/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/solve-field -O --no-plots --no-verify --resort --downsample 2 -L 124.493 -H 206.158 -u aw -3 91.1501 -4 90 -5 30 --config /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/astrometry.cfg -W /var/folders/jr/tcfsd52s5836dvkzvrk79bgw0000gp/T/solution.wcs /var/folders/jr/tcfsd52s5836dvkzvrk79bgw0000gp/T/fitsjKM950

Of course that exact command is now probably invalid because the image is gone now, but basically you should try to find that complete command verbatim and copy and paste it from the log, or drag it from the Ekos window into the terminal. Then hit enter and see what happens.

If it solves the image just fine, then I suspect you might have some things left in /usr/local/bin like python without pyfits or something like that. Or maybe in the system files. If you will note I specifically removed /usr/local/bin from the PATH variable to force it to use the python and netpbm from the app. If it doesn't work, then lets see what prints out.
6 years 4 months ago #21200

just to make sure, the export PATH=blah blah is all in the same line, the forum makes it look like 2 lines.
6 years 4 months ago #21201

Wait I just noticed something in your command, are you plate solving near the pole? Because that doesn't work too well in astrometry.net.
6 years 4 months ago #21202

Time to create page: 0.787 seconds