INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

OS X KStars offline astrometry issues should now be fixed.

• Thank you received: 420
Thanks, that helped but the problem hasn't gone away completely. See the attached log. Any other ideas?
6 years 4 months ago #21196
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Any idea what's the astrometry.net version? It doesn't show in the log when it's suppose to.
6 years 4 months ago #21197

It is using the internal one. The homebrew version I had was 0.72 but I uninstalled that.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
6 years 4 months ago #21199

• Thank you received: 809
Ok can you try this in the command line and see what is printed out?

First open a terminal window in OS X. Then type the following and hit enter:

export PATH=/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/netpbm/bin:/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/python/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin

Then. you need to try to plate solve an image. Then you will see the command that it tried down at the bottom of the Align Tab in Ekos. Based on your log, your last command that didn't work was this:

/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/solve-field -O --no-plots --no-verify --resort --downsample 2 -L 124.493 -H 206.158 -u aw -3 91.1501 -4 90 -5 30 --config /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/astrometry.cfg -W /var/folders/jr/tcfsd52s5836dvkzvrk79bgw0000gp/T/solution.wcs /var/folders/jr/tcfsd52s5836dvkzvrk79bgw0000gp/T/fitsjKM950

Of course that exact command is now probably invalid because the image is gone now, but basically you should try to find that complete command verbatim and copy and paste it from the log, or drag it from the Ekos window into the terminal. Then hit enter and see what happens.

If it solves the image just fine, then I suspect you might have some things left in /usr/local/bin like python without pyfits or something like that. Or maybe in the system files. If you will note I specifically removed /usr/local/bin from the PATH variable to force it to use the python and netpbm from the app. If it doesn't work, then lets see what prints out.
6 years 4 months ago #21200

just to make sure, the export PATH=blah blah is all in the same line, the forum makes it look like 2 lines.
6 years 4 months ago #21201

Wait I just noticed something in your command, are you plate solving near the pole? Because that doesn't work too well in astrometry.net.
6 years 4 months ago #21202

First of all, the directories /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/netpbm/bin and /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/python/bin don't exist on my system!

$> ll /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/
total 18448
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 wreeven admin 128 Oct 31 06:41 astrometry/
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 wreeven admin 190536 Oct 31 06:43 dbus-daemon*
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 wreeven admin 25700 Oct 31 06:41 dbus-send*
drwxr-xr-x@ 132 wreeven admin 4224 Oct 31 06:40 indi/
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 wreeven admin 20144 Oct 31 06:43 kioslave*
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 wreeven admin 9203656 Oct 31 06:43 kstars*
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 wreeven admin 128 Oct 31 06:41 xplanet/

So it looks like something is wrong with my installation. I'll install again.

Secondly, plate solving near the pole really works well. Or at least it used to. And it is needed for the polar alignment module which I have used a lot until a few weeks ago...
6 years 4 months ago #21203

I downloaded kstars from

edu.kde.org/kstars/#download

Is that the correct location? Because the indilib.org download location at

indilib.org/download/osx.html

seems to have an old version of kstars. And CloudMakers only seem to host downloads for indi. Or do I need to combine downloads from several sources?
6 years 4 months ago #21204

Oh that could explain your problem then! Those directories need to be in there.

Maybe its just near the pole in the simulators that plate solving near the pole doesn't work too well, but I usually just don't do it too close to 90 anyway.
6 years 4 months ago #21205

I just looked in the DMG that I sent to Jasem and he posted on Nov 19th, 2017. The directories are in the app inside the DMG in the right places..

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven
6 years 4 months ago #21206
Attachments:

Biiig thank you for all your help. I downloaded the DMG file again, installed it and now all directories are there. Solving doesn't seem to too well near the pole, indeed. I see a LOT of lines like this

[2017-11-21T22:12:07.295 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "Field 1 did not solve (index index-4207-03.fits, field objects 71-80)."
[2017-11-21T22:12:07.311 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "Field 1 did not solve (index index-4207-02.fits, field objects 71-80)."

and I stopped resolving the image center. That's a pity since like I said this is needed for polar alignment. Oh well, I'll try now to slew to Wega and try again. Thanks once more!
6 years 4 months ago #21207

Unfortunately this wasn’t the end, installing the latest version did help but I keep on getting those verbose messages stating that “Filed 1did not resolve” even when I point at (or near) Capella (Vega already was setting at my location). After 3 minutes resolving times out, a new image gets taken and it all starts all over again. Any other ideas?

By the way, I tried this also on Linux using a bleeding version of three weeks ago and the same time out happens. Like I stated a few comments ago, I am using fits files from astrometry.net that I recently downloaded so I don’t think that’s the problem.
6 years 4 months ago #21210

Time to create page: 0.387 seconds