INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

OS X KStars offline astrometry issues should now be fixed.

• Thank you received: 809
I just looked in the DMG that I sent to Jasem and he posted on Nov 19th, 2017. The directories are in the app inside the DMG in the right places..

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven
6 years 4 months ago #21206
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
Biiig thank you for all your help. I downloaded the DMG file again, installed it and now all directories are there. Solving doesn't seem to too well near the pole, indeed. I see a LOT of lines like this

[2017-11-21T22:12:07.295 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "Field 1 did not solve (index index-4207-03.fits, field objects 71-80)."
[2017-11-21T22:12:07.311 CET INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "Field 1 did not solve (index index-4207-02.fits, field objects 71-80)."

and I stopped resolving the image center. That's a pity since like I said this is needed for polar alignment. Oh well, I'll try now to slew to Wega and try again. Thanks once more!
6 years 4 months ago #21207

Unfortunately this wasn’t the end, installing the latest version did help but I keep on getting those verbose messages stating that “Filed 1did not resolve” even when I point at (or near) Capella (Vega already was setting at my location). After 3 minutes resolving times out, a new image gets taken and it all starts all over again. Any other ideas?

By the way, I tried this also on Linux using a bleeding version of three weeks ago and the same time out happens. Like I stated a few comments ago, I am using fits files from astrometry.net that I recently downloaded so I don’t think that’s the problem.
6 years 4 months ago #21210

Now it’s just a matter of tweaking your settings. Try changing the exposure time, try binning, try unchecking the scale boxes in the options, etc etc
6 years 4 months ago #21211

Finally I have time and clear skies again, so I tried to run the command line as you suggested. It looks like it is a problem with my Python files. Any ideas?

$> /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/solve-field -O --no-plots --no-verify --resort --downsample 2 -L 124.493 -H 206.158 -u aw -3 82.6387 -4 90 -5 30 --config /usr/local/etc/astrometry.cfg -W /var/folders/jr/tcfsd52s5836dvkzvrk79bgw0000gp/T/solution.wcs /var/folders/jr/tcfsd52s5836dvkzvrk79bgw0000gp/T/fitslwV540
Reading input file 1 of 1: "/var/folders/jr/tcfsd52s5836dvkzvrk79bgw0000gp/T/fitslwV540"...
Extracting sources...
Downsampling by 2...
simplexy: found 1695 sources.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/removelines", line 15, in <module>
sys.exit(main())
File "/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/lib/python/astrometry/util/removelines.py", line 76, in main
cut=opt.cut, ext=opt.ext)
File "/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/lib/python/astrometry/util/removelines.py", line 38, in removelines
T = fits_table(infile, lower=False)
File "/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/lib/python/astrometry/util/fits.py", line 672, in fits_table
pf = pyfits.open(dataorfn, memmap=mmap)
AttributeError: 'NoPyfits' object has no attribute 'open'
augment-xylist.c:589:backtick Failed to run command: /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/removelines -e 1 /tmp/tmp.xyls.qHsObx /tmp/tmp.removelines.3jQZ0a
ioutils.c:567:run_command_get_outputs Command failed: return value 1
6 years 3 months ago #21473

I tried the suggestion in this comment

www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/2650-solver-f...os-on-osx.html#19812

to install pyfits but that didn't help.
6 years 3 months ago #21479

I will check into it. It sounds like it's not picking up the pyfits that I included in the app bundle.
6 years 3 months ago #21482

6 years 3 months ago #21486

Oh I'm sorry, I was looking back over what I told you to do and I forgot one variable, PYTHONPATH. Can you try this one more time with this

First open a terminal window in OS X. Then type the following and hit enter:

export PATH=/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/netpbm/bin:/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/python/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin

export PYTHONPATH=/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/python/bin

Then you need to try to plate solve an image. Then you will see the command that it tried down at the bottom of the Align Tab in Ekos. Based on your log, your last command that didn't work was this:

/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/solve-field -O --no-plots --no-verify --resort --downsample 2 -L 124.493 -H 206.158 -u aw -3 91.1501 -4 90 -5 30 --config /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/astrometry.cfg -W /var/folders/jr/tcfsd52s5836dvkzvrk79bgw0000gp/T/solution.wcs /var/folders/jr/tcfsd52s5836dvkzvrk79bgw0000gp/T/fitsjKM950

Of course that exact command is now probably invalid because the image is gone now, but basically you should try to find that complete command verbatim and copy and paste it from the log, or drag it from the Ekos window into the terminal. Then hit enter and see what happens.
6 years 3 months ago #21487

I took one of my pics and used that to test this. It works but it takes a LONG time to resolve. I'll play with the command line options to see if I can speed it up and then will use that in Ekos.

The question remains how to instruct Ekos to use this PYTHONPATH?

EDIT: I timed resolving that picture at it takes 11 minutes :ohmy:

EDIT2: I managed to bring it down to under a minute B)
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
6 years 3 months ago #21496

Ok good, Yes, you need to make sure you have the right index files and then play with the options. Ekos already uses that PythonPath. The two export commands that I told you to do are the ones I already tell the solver to use in Ekos. The only reason I told you to do it in the terminal was so that we could see more details in the output. Sorry I forgot to tell you to do the second export command in my first post. But if it worked in the terminal then your installation of KStars should work just fine for plate solving, there is no problem. Just play with the index files and the options.
6 years 3 months ago #21498

Thanks again for your never failing patience. I finally managed to get it working and fast too! First of all I made sure I only have the necessary FITS files from Astrometry.net which saves the field solver from looking in too many files in case it cannot find a solution. Then I realised that since recently I am using a filed flattener that also is a 0.8x reducer. So the focal length of the telescope was wrong and thus the FOV calculated by Ekos as well. Once I solved that, all went back to nromal. Thanks once more and sorry for all the trouble.
6 years 3 months ago #21586

Time to create page: 0.629 seconds