INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Eqmod alignment

• Thank you received: 811
6 years 4 months ago #21027

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Eqmod alignment

I use a FTDI USB-RS232 converter on a RJ45 plug, as depicted at eq-mod.sourceforge.net/eqdirect2.htm. That is all that is needed.

The only thing I would improve on that hardware part is the slack in the mount's poor RJ45 plug, which was causing disconnections while the mount was rotating before I had that better secured.

This, and the voltage applied to the mount. Currently I have the same supply on both the dew heater and the mount, and this is a bad idea looking at the stability of the voltage. Sometimes the mount gets as low as 11V for a short period of time.

-Eric
6 years 4 months ago #21030

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic Eqmod alignment

I re-read a few things and yes, EQMOD says they can't guarantee reliable operation with the HC because its undocumented. However, it is documented (in my synscan manual). I'm not sure why they say that and makes me wonder to what interface spec they are working. And I wonder who wrote the INDI EQMOD mount driver and who's interface they are working to.

Edit: There is also a INDI synscan driver but I was advised to use the eqmod even though working through the HC.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Greg.
6 years 4 months ago #21032

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Eqmod alignment

I re-read a few things and yes, EQMOD says they can't guarantee reliable operation with the HC because its undocumented. However, it is documented (in my synscan manual). I'm not sure why they say that and makes me wonder to what interface spec they are working. And I wonder who wrote the INDI EQMOD mount driver and who's interface they are working to.

Yes, if I remember correctly, this item you are referring to: "EQMOD says they can't guarantee reliable operation with the HC because its undocumented." is when you connect with the PC-Direct setting on the Synscan hand controller, and this is everything that the Manual has to say about that:

"Currently, the PC direct mode is mainly used to update the motor controller’s firmware."

See page 19:
www.telescope.com/assets/product_files/i...ions/29526_03-14.pdf
6 years 4 months ago #21035

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Eqmod alignment

In my experiments the PC-direct mode did in fact work, but it dropped the connection after a certain amount of time went by
6 years 4 months ago #21036

• Thank you received: 109

Replied by Jim on topic Eqmod alignment

I guess if you want to call voltage shifting TTL an electronics box, you would be correct. It is more than just a simple pass-through. One such provider that I have used with great luck is Shoestring Astronomy: www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/index.htm - there are others, just a happy customer. It is still simpler than a full hand controller with its extra connections.
6 years 4 months ago #21038

Time to create page: 1.026 seconds