INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Slew to Target Failed

• Thank you received: 7
I thank the development team.
Align module does not work properly after becoming a new Kstars.
I am using Celestron AVX.
After moving to the target object, align it.
Executing Slew to Target resulted in "Sync Filed" and alignment failed.
After that all Sync repeatedly failed.
Looking at the log, the command to AVX seems to be timed out.
I am connected with AVX via serial port, and can be controlled normally with KStar.
Please tell me how I can avoid the error.
6 years 3 months ago #21858
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Slew to Target Failed

This was patched yesterday, so wait for today's PPA update.
The following user(s) said Thank You: norikyu
6 years 3 months ago #21867

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by norikyu on topic Slew to Target Failed

I updated the INDI library. It worked well!
Thank you!
6 years 3 months ago #21876

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Tommy Broudy on topic Slew to Target Failed

Hello. I am a newbie with INDI and EKOS. I have the MacOSX Stars/EKOS installed on my system. Last night I was out with the telescope for the first time (after many hours with the simulators). I am able to capture images, and plate solve online. A solution is calculated, but EKOS is unable to sync or slew with my Celestron AVX. I polar align using PoleMaster, power on my AVX mount, and then point my mount at a star field and use EKOS to plate solve/align. Unfortunately, I am getting stuck after the image is captured and solved. I think this may be a similar problem to noriQ AVX mount, but am not sure. Thanks so much for your help! Suggestions?

2017-12-27T01:48:21 Capturing image...
2017-12-27T01:48:19 Slew complete. Target accuracy is not met, running solver again...
2017-12-27T01:47:35 Slewing to target coordinates: RA (12h 00m 00s) DEC ( 0∞ 00' 00").
2017-12-27T01:47:35 Slewing failed!
2017-12-27T01:47:30 Slewing to target coordinates: RA (12h 00m 00s) DEC ( 0∞ 00' 00").
2017-12-27T01:47:30 Syncing failed!
2017-12-27T01:47:25 Syncing to RA (08h 20m 23s) DEC (-16∞ 47' 09")
2017-12-27T01:47:25 Target is within 57∞ 24' 34" degrees of solution coordinates.
2017-12-27T01:47:25 Solution coordinates: RA (08h 20m 23s) DEC (-16∞ 47' 09") Telescope Coordinates: RA (03h 34m 36s) DEC ( 89∞ 53' 17")
6 years 3 months ago #21922

Did you run the software update from the PPA? Make sure everything is up to date.

It should be fixed in the KStars v2.9.0 release for MacOS. Hopefully soon within 2 weeks or less.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
6 years 3 months ago #21923

Thanks, knro! Last night I installed Kstars-bleeding on Ubuntu (on Parallels on my OSX mac), and the plate solving worked to slew and sync with my AVX mount. This was the first time I have ever used Linux, so it was a bit foreign to me, but in the end, it worked great. Looking forward to the update on the OSX version. Thanks again!
6 years 3 months ago #21966

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by Greg on topic Slew to Target Failed

Checking if this is the case on Linux Mint as well? I'm stuck on 2.8.9 waiting for the PPA to update.
In my case I'm running on a Paramount MX using the indi Paramount driver. Solving is working, but when it tries to slew not much happens. The system will repeat the solve and slew until it gives up. The deltas change very little, and what little change could be due to drift.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Greg.
6 years 2 months ago #22579

This could be another issue. Is the mount physically slewing at all after command is issued? You might want to check the logs.
6 years 2 months ago #22585

Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Tommy Broudy.
6 years 2 months ago #22596

This is on Kstars 2.8.9.

I looked at the logs. It looks like the slew is happening to the same coordinates over and over again. It's also syncing on those same coordinates. Logfile attached for reference.

I found that I was able to get accurate centering on stars by slewing to them, then using the mount control window to add or subtract the dRa and dDec values (depending on side of meridian I think?) and issue a goto for the updated coordinates manually. This put the star center in the crosshairs. Here's an example:

www.dropbox.com/s/66a1q9ymitque4w/ekos_centering.mov?dl=0

This worked with and without the model in Ekos.

I tested what syncing is doing and found that it doesn't seem to help. Syncing should be unnecessary with a Paramount, and Bisque recommends against it in general save for when initiating a Tpoint calibration. I don't know that it helps beyond what a tpoint model already does when it exists.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Greg.
6 years 2 months ago #22623
Attachments:

Ok I see what you've done there. This could be done in Ekos via differential slewing. However, this can only be done ONE-TIME since there is no way to know if the object is actually centered as the actual vs. telescope coordinates will always differ. This is why SYNC is required. But if for some reason, sync cannot be used, but I guess this could be implemented. Only a single iteration is done in this case after the first "Solve & Slew" is issued.
6 years 2 months ago #22626

I _believe_ that TheSkyX uses differential slewing, so this would match that behavior. The behavior it implements is as you suggest - plate solve, one slew and done. I'd have to think about the math, but I'm wondering if there's a way to tighten the centering with an additional slew if you know the offset after the first slew. It may not matter or help. Either way, no sync is necessary since there is a pointing model in place in TSX already.

I noticed that the rotator position can be adjusted by the alignment module as well. I suppose this guiding adjustment will need to take this into account.
6 years 2 months ago #22646

Time to create page: 0.820 seconds