INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Keep getting 'device or resource busy' error when connecting

• Thank you received: 1
I have the Shoestring Astronomy BTEQ5 Bluetooth dongle, it pairs, connects and gets assigned to /dev/rfcomm0 with no issues in Ubuntu Mate on my Raspberry Pi 3. My other devices connect automatically (Canon DSLR and SSAG) when starting indi, but the mount will not connect.

I have an Orion Sirius EQ-G mount, and I've used the same BT dongle in windows to control the mount via EQMOD with very little trouble (just the normal 'getting windows to assign a comport' to the BT dongle).

I've tried changing all permissions to /dev/rfcomm0, making sure my user has access to the DIALOUT group, etc etc. At this point, I don't think it's a permission issue. But no matter what I do, even changing to a different port, as well as doing a symbolic link to /dev/ttyUSB0, nothing works. I always get the same error about not being able to connect to the port, device busy, yadda yadda yadda :(

Hope someone has some insight to this issue!
6 years 2 months ago #22121

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I have the exact same dongle and HEQ5 as well, and it works fine. You used the bluetooth app in Ubuntu to pair it? I created a video for StellarMate about this, but it should be applicable to your case as well:

Start watching at 03:40

Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
6 years 2 months ago #22124

Thanks. I've seen that video and have done exactly what was in it (saw where you posted this for someone else in another thread). Everything goes exactly as in the video except I get an error. I must be missing something else.
6 years 2 months ago #22128

Took a SS in the hopes it helps a little? The BTEQ5 is paired, trusted and is set to /dev/rfcomm0. Any ideas what else I can do? I've actually gone back and reinstalled everything from scratch just in case I did something wrong the first time.

6 years 2 months ago #22149
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 109
Greetings,

One thing you could try is to use lsof (list open files) This should show you what is using it, and give you a place to start.

Try this:
sudo lsof /dev/rfcomm0
6 years 2 months ago #22154

COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
blueman-r 3423 root 6r CHR 216,0 0t0 59219 /dev/rfcomm0

As far as I can see, that's legit. If I kill that PID, it severs the connection to the BT.
6 years 2 months ago #22155

• Thank you received: 24
I had similar issue recently and remember doing the below to fix it

sudo chown astroberry /dev/rfcomm0
sudo usermod -a -G dialout astroberry

Replace astroberry with your username.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Tarun. Reason: grammar
6 years 2 months ago #22160

Just tried that with no luck as well. I took the BTEQ5 and hooked it back up to my windows laptop, everything worked just fine with EQMOD there. I also tried it on my laptop running Linux Mint 18 and it would not stay connected. I could pair, but it would only stay connected a moment. I also could find no way in Mint to assign a com port, so that was no help...was really hoping Mint would help me, but the last thing I need right now is being sidetracked with another linux machine that this won't work on! :)
6 years 2 months ago #22161

• Thank you received: 165
I think your problem is that "blueman-r" process as my system doesn't list any processes with "lsof /dev/rfcomm0" when not connected and indi_eqmod_telescope when it is. I don't use the bluetooth manager connect but have "rfcomm bind 0 20:16:xx:xx:xx:xx" in my startup scripts.
6 years 2 months ago #22169

It appears Blueman is the graphical interface. I did not install it separately, I wonder if it's safe to just get rid of it?

(EDIT) So, blueman was the culprit. I uninstalled it and bound the BT to /dev/rfcomm0 manually and EKOS connected right away. Slewing controls worked just like EQMOD so all appears well...at least with this initial problem. Thanks for all the help!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Scott Baker.
6 years 2 months ago #22178

I heard that in 18.04, the bluetooth stack is much more reliable. So hopefully it would be less of a pain in a few months. Notwithstanding that, I didn't face any issues here.. maybe I was lucky!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Baker
6 years 2 months ago #22199

• Thank you received: 0
I have the same problem. I'm a real beginner.
Would you mind telling me the commands you used to bind the /dev/rfcomm ?
Thanks
6 years 1 month ago #23698

Time to create page: 0.641 seconds