INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EQMOD Mount alignment with Kstars....

• Thank you received: 140
Hi,
After getting my rpi3and all software up and running, I am now connecting my kit, one piece at a time...
I started today with my EQ6 mount using the indi EQMOD driver, and all connected first time with no issues.... :)
But, I noticed each time I put my mount on the polar home position pointing at the NCP, then fired up Kstars and Ekos, the EQMOD crosshairs in Kstars was not pointing near the NCP, I thought you were supposed to start in this home position, so why is it not showing that in Kstars.... any ideas...

Or am I doing the procedure wrong in some way, this is what I am doing in my workflow
Mount in home position and turned on, open Kstars / Ekos, connect to indi server, connect devices, and then in the Kstars the mount crosshairs is around 4 inches on the screen away from Polaris....yet my mount is pretty much bang on Polaris, i realise that the true pole is more accurate, but this is just for testing purposes....
AB :)
6 years 2 months ago #22303

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 2 months ago #22304

Hmmmm, no, just wondered if I was doing something wrong in my workflow, don’t think there is any issues with the software, I think it is me....
6 years 2 months ago #22305

If I point my mount a the NCP with released clutches, turn on mount open all the software, slew the mount onto Polaris in Kstars, then loosen clutches and point mount back onto NCP manually, , then sync, switch all off, and then when I switch on should Kstars show the EQMOD Mount still to be pointing at Polaris, if so then I was forgetting to sync....and that maybe the issue..
6 years 2 months ago #22306

Wow, no advice at all.....am I in the right place....?? :)
6 years 2 months ago #22309

• Thank you received: 66
You got an immediate response asking for logs. It might help if you provided them. Ekos is a powerful tool and not the most user friendly. Take time to figure it out - it would seem that no-one has an idea what your are doing wrong.
6 years 2 months ago #22310

All I want is for someone to tell me the correct set up procedure for an EQMOD Mount, from starting position, to taking first image.... :)
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by AstroNerd.
6 years 2 months ago #22311

I have EQ8 so using EQMod. The mount is pointing to NCP and is on a permanent pier, so I don't perform polar alignment this often.. maybe in a few months I double-check it. At any rate, there is no special setup needed. I just start Ekos, connect, and I find it pointing at NCP (or close to it). Then I slew someone in the sky, to a bright star some 20-30 degrees away. Then I use Ekos Alignment module (with action set to Slew to Target) and click "Capture and Solve" and wait until it centers the mount. Then it's all set and I can slew to any object.

I'll be making video for StellarMate on Ekos, and will cover these steps as they're applicable to all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dennis Means, AstroNerd
6 years 2 months ago #22312

• Thank you received: 420
Same here with an SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro mount that is not permanently set up. When I switch on the mount, which is connected to my Linux laptop with an EQDir cable, and I start Ekos, which I have configured to talk to my mount via the EQMod driver, then the mount thinks it point at +90º declination and at the right ascension that is the current sidereal time. KStars always draws the mount pointing at Polaris at that moment. Whenever I switch off my mount it forgets where it was pointing at, so there is no use syncing it and then switching it off because it will have forgotten.

Parking the mount will make it remember where it was pointing at so maybe it remembers an old park position?

My advice would be to factory reset the mount (it is an option under Advanced Settings on the hand controller) and in "vanilla" state connect it to Ekos and see if that solves the problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
6 years 2 months ago #22313

Thanks for the info and help.....
I think I have sorted it, I have been doing it the same was as you, bu my issue was the Park position was wrong, and could not get it remember new park position, but I used the “use current” and “write data” commands, in that order, in the EQMOD driver, is that correct, as it seems to have worked...?.

I think a good detailed manual of all these functions and commands would be very useful...
6 years 2 months ago #22314

• Thank you received: 420
Check the manual of your mount. Ekos/INDI are simply applying what's put there.
6 years 2 months ago #22315

Agreed, but I need to know how to set park position in Indi EQMOD driver, as there is no documentation on that, hence the question....or the need for a detailed manual. . :)
6 years 2 months ago #22316

Time to create page: 0.857 seconds