INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Platesolve and centre with uploaded image

• Thank you received: 140
Hi
I understand how the platesolve feature works and have now used it a few times with success
But is it possible to upload and image from a while ago solve the image, and then say you want to centre the top right corner of the uploaded image to photograph, can the image be clicked on and tell the scope to slew to a certain point on the image....
Or does movement commends have to come through the image in the planetarium software Kstars..??
AB :)
6 years 2 months ago #22333

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I am not sure I explained the above very well....I will try and simplify my question...
When an image is solved, and the target, say M42 is centred, BUT I want to have say the top right corner of M42 in the centre of my image, can I just click on the solved image in that spot and tell the mount to centre there.....or can this not be done with this software.....like it can be done in other packages such as APT... (not that I use that anymore) as this is far superior.. :)

Hope that makes more sense now..
AB
6 years 2 months ago #22334

• Thank you received: 109
In the image viewer, there is a button at the top that looks like a cross-hair. If you click that, it changes the pointer to that symbol and you can click any point on the image to re-center where you clicked. Is this what you were looking for?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Klaus, Derek, Paul, Teseo, Stephen, AstroNerd
6 years 2 months ago #22335
Attachments:

Yup superb, that’s what I was looking for, many thanks as you can tell am new to this, but to be honest the software is superb, best I have ever used, just can’t find everything I need to know in one place, I have watched all the tutorials on YouTube, but the newest one is over 12 months old and the software was comepletly different then....
I realise a new one was just released today, and have watched that, but I had already figured all that out, so look forward to the next
Again thanks :)
6 years 2 months ago #22336

• Thank you received: 76
Awesome! I didnt know that was there. Very useful
6 years 2 months ago #22344

• Thank you received: 809
Yes I programmed that feature last year. Primarily it was intended for re-centering objects in the fitsviewer so that you could frame your exposure nicely and easily without having to use the telescope slew controls. But it certainly works for the purposes of loading an image from a previous evening and slewing the telescope to any point in that image.

Just be sure that the image you load and try to do this with has WCS coordinate information in it. WCS is required for the center telescope feature, for the gridlines feature, and the find objects features that I added last year as well. WCS is turned off by default, but is easy to turn on in the Ekos options. I would highly recommend always using WCS with your images, unless your system has very limited resources. Do note that if you have WCS turned on that you need to plate solve at least once in your imaging session for WCS to be used with the images you take.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
6 years 2 months ago #22355

If you want to slew to an object in a previous image and for some reason it does NOT have WCS in it, you can still slew to the image if you use the "load and slew" feature which will automatically plate solve the image and slew to the coordinates. Just note that it will always slew to the center of the image and not to a certain point in the image like the center telescope feature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephen, Jim, AstroNerd
6 years 2 months ago #22356

So if I take the image on the night will that have the WSC information in, or do I need to enable in Ekos first, if so how do I do that...
Many thanks
6 years 2 months ago #22360

Check the WCS box in the options of the Align module

6 years 2 months ago #22367
Attachments:

Ok, so checked the WCS box, but when I get a platesolved image, I can then double click on the image and it puts a red target on the image, then how to i goto that point, cant see any control...? What am I missing, and is what I am doing correct to this point..?
6 years 2 months ago #22638

Double clicking on the image will just put a red mark on it for something you might be interested in marking.

If you want to center your telescope, after plate solving, you need to take a preview image, and then click the center telescope icon in the fits viewer toolbar. (see xsnrg's screenshot). Then you will get the center telescope mouse cursor. Then click where in the image you want to recenter. Then wait a few moments and take another preview image. It should be recentered.
6 years 2 months ago #22639

Time to create page: 2.166 seconds