INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EKOS Scheduler - repeat all jobs possible ?

• Thank you received: 0
Hello. I am using EKOS Scheduler to image 3 targets, repeatedly, throughout the night. I have setup as follows:

Job1: Target 1
Job 2: Target 2
Job 3: Target 3
Job 4: Target 1
Job 5: Target 2
Job 6: Target 3
Job 7: Target 1
Job 8: Target 2
Job 9: Target3

And so on, repeating the Target1,Target2,Target3 jobs until Job 36. Is there a simpler way to do this than to actually input 36 jobs? Can I set 3 jobs in the Scheduler (Job 1: Target1//Job 2:Target2//Job 3: Target3), and then ask it to loop through that set of jobs 12 times?

I have tried to use the "Repeat" buttons on the Job Completion menu within Scheduler; however, these cause an individual Job to repeat before moving on to the next. It's important for me to force imaging of Target1,Target2,Target3 in that order before repeating to the next cycle of imaging for Target1,Target2,Target3.

On a related note, is there a way to set more than 20 Priorities, so I can force an order for 36 jobs to run in order 1,2,3,4....all the way to 36 ?

Thanks much for the help!
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Tommy Broudy.
6 years 2 months ago #22346

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Currently, there is no way to repeat jobs list. What is it that you're trying to do, are these 3 separate objects in different areas of the sky or what exactly?
6 years 2 months ago #22348

Yes. I am imaging 3 different objects in different parts of the sky. They are 3 variable stars, that I am imaging in 10minute intervals.

What would be the best way to image Star1, then slew and image Star2, then slew and image to Star3, and the repeat the cycle by slewing and imaging Star1. I’d like to be able to repeat this process for the entire night.

Right now, I have manually loaded 18 jobs into the job list, and assigned Prioroty 1-18, to force Star1,Star2,Star3,Star1,Star2,Star3...... The 18 jobs represent 6 cycles of Star1,Star2,Star3. But this does not run the whole night, as the job list completes after job18.

Any ideas of how I can schedule this kind of imaging for a whole evening?

Thanks again for all the help!!
6 years 2 months ago #22353

• Thank you received: 809
I don't currently use the scheduler too much, so I don't know everything about it, but do/should the "Completion Conditions" at the bottom right repeat the jobs list? I am guessing from what I have seen that those are conditions associated with each job, is that correct? I think that would make sense if you want each job to be repeated 3 times before moving to the next one or something like that. But if you have more than one job, does that mean it just does the first job repeatedly if "loop until terminated" is checked?

6 years 2 months ago #22357
Attachments:

Ok it is understood. I will work on adding support this it. So two things:

1. Adding option to run jobs in order as-is without any weighting.
2. Repeat list on completion.

It's on my TODO list now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Groenewold, Teseo
6 years 2 months ago #22365

• Thank you received: 226
Just a thought. But one strategy/feature may be to create nested jobs? Such that the parent job is repeated under one set of completion conditions with the child jobs following independent conditions.
Advantages of this strategy would help organize large job lists, perhaps expanded to include mosaic jobs as childs of the parent job instead of many separate jobs.
6 years 2 months ago #22543

So for now I added an option in Settings --> Configure KStars --> Ekos --> Scheduler to turn off sorting of jobs by altitude and priority. If you uncheck this, then all the jobs will run as is without sorting them. So a little progress to achieve what you want. This is in GIT now and will be part of KStars next release.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Groenewold
6 years 2 months ago #22565

That sounds like a great workaround to accomplish what I’m trying to do. Thank you so much!

I am pretty new to the KStars and Linux world. What is GIT? How do I go about installing the update? I’m running Ubuntu with kstars-bleeding, on a Mac with virtualbox.

Thanks so much!
6 years 2 months ago #22566

There is native KStars for Mac, no need for virtualbox. I'd suggest you wait until the next release due in a few days. You can find a topic on how to build latest KStars in the General forum.
6 years 2 months ago #22568

Thanks for the info. I built the latest kstars from GIT, and see the new option for "turn off sorting of jobs by altitude and priority". My scheduler job list has 20 jobs in it, with Priority 1-20. When this option is left checked, it runs through the jobs from Priority 1-->20, as expected. When I uncheck this box, Job#1 runs, but when Job#1 completes, the scheduler does not advance to Job#2. Instead it appears to find the original Job#1 (which has a Priority of #1), and hangs there. I have attached the scheduler log for your reference. Any ideas what's going on?

File Attachment:

File Name: scheduler_...23-2.txt
File Size:17 KB

Thanks very much!
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Tommy Broudy.
6 years 2 months ago #22595
Attachments:

Please 'git pull' and build and check again.
6 years 2 months ago #22598

I'm reviving this old thread to ask if the option to repeat list upon completion is available? I have the exact same problem as the OP (measuring 4 variable stars -> need to measure star #1, then star #2, then star #3, then star #4 and repeat the whole sequence all night long so that I can have data from all 4 stars at all times of the night).
I could not find how to repeat the list. Did I just not find the correct option or is this not available?

I love Kstars/Ekos and I would hate having to switch to something else because of such a minor issue.

Thank you,

jf
3 months 3 weeks ago #97484

Time to create page: 1.022 seconds