INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Difficulties With Dithering

• Thank you received: 2
I have not been successful in getting dithering to work with my Ekos / Indi system (Raspberry Pi 3). My guiding camera is a QHY5LII Mono, and I have a ST4 cable connected from the camera to the guiding input on HEQ5 mount.
Here are my dithering settings:

Also, find attached a log file I captured from before a failed dither to after the dither failed (the dither operation seems to fail on every attempt). I am using the internal guider software and not PHD2 / Linguider.

Would anyone have any ideas / tips on how to solve this? Note: I also added a dark calibration frame in the Guiding module to improve the picture quality and guiding itself seems to be working well mostly.
6 years 1 month ago #23498
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Checking the logs it looks like that the dithering process was proceeding normally, but capture was not triggered for some reason. Anyone having similar issues with dither?
6 years 1 month ago #23517

Thanks Jasem, by capture - do you mean capture of the guiding camera? I think the dither operation used to work for me with the same hardware about 9 months ago or so, I recently came back to Ekos/Indi and did a full update about 3 weeks ago or so.

On a slightly related question: when capturing a dark frame from within the Guide Module, it appears to only be possible to capture a single dark. Is this the case, or is it possible to capture multiple which are stacked to improve the picture quality when guiding?
6 years 1 month ago #23519

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by Greg on topic Difficulties With Dithering

I see that. It captures for several iterations, then it doesn't.

I just checked my log files from last night. All appears to be fine on the latest build.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Greg.
6 years 1 month ago #23520

On QHY?
6 years 1 month ago #23540

The dark frame is subtracted after each capture. When you change settings (frame, binning..etc) it will take another dark frame. If camera has temperature sensor, then it will also take another one if the temperature begins to change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feilim Breatnach
6 years 1 month ago #23541

Hi Jasem, just a quick note that the dithering issue for me, reported above remains the same in version 2.93. I was wondering if you might have any ideas of how I could resolve this, or a possible workaround that would achieve the same end result as the automated dither? Not having the dither option is really killing me with the colour mottle in final stacked DSLR image :(
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by Feilim Breatnach.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24080

Is it the same problem? i.e. QHY getting stuck at capture?
6 years 2 weeks ago #24089

Sorry, yes I should have said in my previous post - the issue is still the same (QHY getting stuck at capture after dither applied, and 'Lost Track of Guide Star' appearing in console) as with the previous version of KStars / Ekos.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24099

I was just looking at the GIT history for indi_qhy, I don't suppose this recent fix could possibly be related to / provide a resolution for the issue I am describing in this thread? If so I could try to build the driver from source on my Raspberry Pi 3:
github.com/indilib/indi/commit/89f0f2d77...0f124b51d0c5d10f4414
6 years 1 week ago #24168

Time to create page: 0.557 seconds