INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars icon missing in my LXDE environment.

• Thank you received: 226
I already had it installed. :huh:
Still no KStars Icon in the system toolbar or window bar top corner. I tried using the Oxygen theme too.
It's not really a big issue. But interestingly other icons display correctly, including the Ekos and INDI control panel's.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24171

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12
I have the same issue
I am using Raspbian and I compile the Kstars in the pi3.

The icons are critical to me. When I focus using the focus frame, I need to zoom in/out, and enable/disable the star circles. Now the screen shows the "text" on the buttons, but the window is not large enough to display all the text. Meanwhile if it's the icon, it's a small square box which I can see the icons without problems.

Stephen
Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by Stephen Wong.
6 years 1 week ago #24405

• Thank you received: 301
I have two Lubuntu installs, one is displaying the icons, the other isn't. I'll try to come up with a diff because this is annoying.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teseo
6 years 6 days ago #24457

• Thank you received: 0
Hi all! Any news about this? I am new into kstars and yesterday I found the same problem with the missing Kstars icon under fresh Ubuntu 18.04 LTE installation.
Many thanks.
5 years 10 months ago #26013

I was about to write an answer :) it's a bit difficult to tell precisely, but I think installing (or reinstalling) "libkf5iconthemes-dev" restored all icons on my lubuntu installs #2 and #3 that were missing them. The lubuntu install #1 had all kstars development dependencies already installed, and had expected icons. Probably this package has too much data, but it seems to pull enough requirements, such as the breeze theme, and KDE tools to link that with kstars.

-Eric
5 years 10 months ago #26016

Thanks for the tip. But it did not work for me.
5 years 10 months ago #26028

Well, one solution is to use Plasma desktop instead of LXDE :D
5 years 10 months ago #26031

• Thank you received: 0
Didn't work for me also.
I have installed Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 LTE and there it works but not in 18.04.
5 years 10 months ago #26036

• Thank you received: 420
Same here. Abelink and I tried running different flavours and versions of Ubuntu in virtual machines and whatever we try, the KStars icon doesn't appear in the bottom panel (where all running applications appear) nor in the workspace switcher. When I run Firefox, it does show the Firefox icon in those two places. See the attached screenshot. It looks like something ay have changed with Ubuntu Bionic preventing the icon from showing up or needing the icon to be added to a directory where it isn't now.

However, when I compare the output of "dpkg -L firefox | grep icon" and "dpkg -L kstars-bleeding-data | grep icon" then the only differences I see are
- Firefox uses an SVG icon and KStars SVGZ
- Firefox places the icons in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/symbolic and KStars in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable

Simply copying the kstars.svgz file to /usr/share/icons/hicolor/symbolic didn\'t solve the issue though...

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking this topic. Just to be clear, I am using Ubuntu Mate and the icon is missing in Bionic (18.04).

EDIT 2: The icons also are missing in Ubuntu Mate 17.10 which I have been using for some time but I never noticed this before...
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
5 years 10 months ago #26040
Attachments:

Apologies I realize I offered a solution for the wrong issue. The OP has a problem with the KStars icon, while I was referring to the problem with *all* icons missing *inside* the KStars application and replaced with text, as reported by @sywong2000.

During installation, I had one such issue with the KStars icon, but it was transitory: after building and installing, the icon remained a white square in the menu and in the Taskbar. I just had to restart X11 for it to appear properly. Probably related to the icon cache, but possibly unrelated to your issue, sorry.

-Eric
5 years 10 months ago #26045

• Thank you received: 420
<text deleted>

Forget what I wrote before. I am facing the same issue: there is a blank square in the task bar and workspace switcher where there should be a KStars icon.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
5 years 10 months ago #26046

This issue has never been solved. But I may have found a reason why. Within the icon folder /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps
Among the icons is a scalable version of the kstars icon. However it is in a Gzipped compressed format (.svgz), while every other icon is a standard .svg file. Could it be the compressed form is not supported on our systems?
5 years 3 weeks ago #35785

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds