INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Polar Alignment Assistant and the Southern Hemisphere

• Thank you received: 19
I recently tried to use the Polar Alignment Assistant and found some weird issues. I'm located in the Southern Hemisphere and I was wondering if it could be related to that...

At one point it asks you to rotate the scope East or West. I had to pick the "opposite" to get the right direction of movement.

During the process you get feedback on how far from the pole it thinks you are. I am going to go back over the documentation to understand things more, because I got a number of different values of various degrees, including at one point being "70" degrees off!

I'm using Kubuntu with the latest package builds installed.
6 years 1 week ago #24333

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 66
One thing some have found is that you should put your scope back to park before each use. Makes sense I suppose because if you try two in a row, you'll get counterweights up. I think it might work if you change directions on a second iteration but I haven't tested it. (Not saying you need to do it more than once but I'be been using it a second time to check the result.)
6 years 1 week ago #24341

I picked the opposite direction for the second iteration each time. It said I was so far out from the pole that it couldn't find it in the FOV. I'm at about 1500mm, so I assume a more restricted FOV makes it harder to be on target.

I'll try the park scope next time as well - maybe that will help.

Edit: Just looked at the video - my FOV is too narrow. Ok, will have to think about this more.
Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by Chris Ryan.
6 years 1 week ago #24344

Don’t use your main scope for PA. use your guide scope and cam. Faster and wider FOV

The pole does not have to be in view
Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by Greg.
6 years 1 week ago #24346

I use an OAG, so that's not going to work. :)

I might have to use another tool instead. I can't use the legacy PA as it wants me to go to the North meridian, but that's not possible for my current situation.
6 years 1 week ago #24377

Doe! :-P

Well the only thing I can say is - and you probably have already done this - download the very large astrometry files for narrower FOV operation. Now I see why a lot of people like pole-master. Probably help a lot in your situation. Also try PHD2 polar align tool - not the drift align tool - I think its only on linux at the moment.
6 years 1 week ago #24395

Time to create page: 0.624 seconds