INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Call for SEP testing

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Call for SEP testing

So in KStars GIT, it detected all stars fine, and I didn't see any hot pixels gets picked up. Would be great if you can test that from the nightly PPA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
5 years 11 months ago #24655

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic Call for SEP testing

I am not sure if this is relevant for your SEP testing, because I experienced this issue also with the Centroid or Iterative method, but a frequent reason why the scheduler gives up and aborts is failure to reach proper focus.

In this case, I was imaging M101 (under adverse conditions, like a full moon, yes, I know that's crazy!) and that is a region of the sky that has relatively few brighter stars around for the focuser to latch on to. From the attached screenshot one can see that there was one aberrant reading (HFR 0.842) which the focuser, of course, never could reach again, resulting in failure and aborted schedule.
Would it be possible for the focuser to compute a more realistic HFR value from the aggregate of measurements and then use that as the basis to reach? As you can see, I already had set a pretty high tolerance, but if one erroneous minimal HFR value is too great an outlier that doesn't help either.
5 years 11 months ago #24710
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic Call for SEP testing

One other thing I just noticed is that in its many unsuccessful attempts to reach focus, the module dumped so many image files into the ~/.local/share/kstars/autofocus folder that the 32GB eMMC on my Zotac 332pico was close to being maxed out. The last unsuccessful focuser attempt alone had generated 4.7GB! As is, I have set up a script to clean out that folder every time at startup, but it would be advantageous to have the option to do so every time the focuser has completed a - successful or unsuccessful - autofocus run. The image files would not be required any more under normal circumstances after that.
5 years 11 months ago #24712

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Call for SEP testing

I think I will disable the image logging in the next version completely. Since you're doing full-field, it already takes the average in the frames. You could increase number of frames so that it averages it even further. If you have a better statistical approach, checkout out ekos/focus/focus.cpp file and the function setCaptureComplete() where all the calculations for this are done. Any improvements are appreciated!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
5 years 11 months ago #24733

Time to create page: 0.268 seconds