INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Plate solving issue in EKOS

• Thank you received: 19
Oh this is great! Thanks Jasem!

And yes, that is EXACTLY what happened yesterday. I klicked on Park and though it allready was in park-position, it started to slew fast in a total strange position...
that´s where i stopped then and went to bed.
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 11 months ago #25263

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Plate solving issue in EKOS

About 1, the duration depends on the implementation of the solver. Intuitively, it is driven by the number of testable triangle combinations in the solved area. Thus solving near the Milky Way might be longer than far from that belt, roughly speaking. The adequation between your optical path characteristics and your reported resolution, in arcsec/pixel, and field of view, in arcsec, have a great impact. The radius is only a search boundary, but if that value is too narrow, the solver will timeout, so it has some sort of impact indeed. Also, one big improvement was brought in with the support of persistent parity, which avoids half the combinations once the first solve is successful (which means that perhaps the first solve will be longer that the subsequent ones).

About 3, I think EQ6-R doesn't have gear encoders. From the manual, there is a detector on the RA axis but it is used for PE correction. So when you unlock an axis, the relation between coordinate and gear becomes invalid.

Also, just because it was discussed before, the old atom 1.6GHz minipc mounted on my telescope usually solves in less than 15 seconds with its local astrometry engine, most of that duration being used to load catalogs in memory.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom, Jose Corazon
5 years 11 months ago #25267

• Thank you received: 182

Sorry to disappoint you, Eric! You and Jasem have done such a great job with the scheduler, it now works flawlessly, at least for me. I literally now just start it, make sure it starts imaging and correctly saves my first target with all the settings I intended and then I go to sleep, not 1 am, but 10 pm!!

Seriously, for the last few nights since you put in your last tweaks (build from 4-11-2018) it has been running through its sequence, no more early aborts, focusing, aligning, guiding, all totally flawless.
If I find any residual snags (with the exception of the minor issue related to the in sequence focus evaluations in the capture module), I'll let you know, but so far it looks great!

Thanks again!
5 years 11 months ago #25268

One question i have. When i have to set UTC offset, what is right?
I mean when i google for UTC offset austria, it tels me CET or UTC +2
the offset in EKOS is 3
Is it right? or do i have to change? And if so, how?

cheers
Niki
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 11 months ago #25279

I can't check this right now, but as I recall, when you press the button with the globe on it a menu will come up where you enter your city (if you live in a major city) or your coordinates. That will then place you in the correct time zone.
For instance, for me the time zone is currently GMT-5, since daylight saving time is active, so for you that should be 7 hours later, i.e. GMT+2. Anyway, just enter your coordinates, set time via UTC>Now and make sure that the time shown in Kstars at the upper left side of the window is correct, otherwise set the time in the Menu to Now (provided your system time, i.e. the time your computer shows, is correct) and all should be fine.
5 years 11 months ago #25281

Along the same lines, an embarrassing question to Jasem, hope you are reading this:
I have an issue with one installation of a Pi3 where the time in Kstars never updates to the current time when I start it. System time is correct and current, but Kstars always shows the time and date when Kstars was shut down previously. That had made for some very interesting slewing in the past before I noticed this when my telescope was attempting to image its target at a 30 degree angle pointing into the ground.
This only affects one installation on one Pi3, I have another installation on another Pi3 and one on a mini-PC and the other two are always updating the time when Kstars is starting up on those machines.
There's got to be a checkbox somewhere that allows me to tell Kstars to interrogate the system time when it starts up, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

Anyone reading this who can help with that?

Jo
5 years 11 months ago #25282

Yes, you have the "I paused KStars and forgot to unpause it" syndrome :D I've seen it happening a lot of times that Ekos actually forcibly unpauses the clock when it starts.

EDIT: I think I'll try to figure a way to make this stand out.. paused state should be RED or something scary.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
5 years 11 months ago #25283

"Yes, you have the "I paused KStars and forgot to unpause it" syndrome :D I've seen it happening a lot of times that Ekos actually forcibly unpauses the clock when it starts."

I will gladly work with you to bring this debilitating syndrome to the attention of the medical community at large. In fact, we should write a paper about it and Nature seems to be the appropriate forum for this.
But I am concerned that the reviewers will ask us to be more specific on the methodology of the therapeutic approach.
So, where is this pause/unpause button???
I am prepared to sacrifice myself and be the guinea pig.
Just point me in the right direction.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Jose Corazon.
5 years 11 months ago #25285

It's a big pause icon in the main toolbar...
5 years 11 months ago #25286

Sorry, I just don't get it. Here are the two screenshots from my Pi3 and from my Zotac mini-PC, both shut down this morning at the same time, both started back up tonight at the same time, both showing Kstars. The Pi3 shows the time from this morning,

the Zotac this evening's.

In neither case is the Pause button in the main menu activated.

Where is that Pause button you are referring to?
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Jose Corazon.
5 years 11 months ago #25294
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Plate solving issue in EKOS

(in any case I have a commit in the pipe to warn the user when the Ekos Scheduler starts with a non-current time clock, but it might be helpful to emphasize on this more generally in the UI)

-Eric
5 years 11 months ago #25300

Checked yesterday the time and found out, that there indeed was a wrong time displayed in the main window on the left upper side. Changed that time then to the right. But in the indi drivers page where i set up the time, it still remains utc 3. it was not a problem yesterday but is it right? I always get confused, when its about time in such environments.

Cheers Niki

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
5 years 11 months ago #25302

Time to create page: 1.907 seconds