INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Announcing Ekos Live

• Thank you received: 370
Fully agree! Having a EKOS web frontend for my PI would be fantastic! Having a cloud service is not my major focus.

Wolfgang
5 years 9 months ago #26782

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Announcing Ekos Live

That's an interesting piece of software there. I am probably missing something, this will connect to my own observatory right or else?
5 years 9 months ago #26783

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Announcing Ekos Live

Yes, it will connect to anywhere where Ekos is used. Still working on the cloud storage bits now. Hopefully it is ready for beta testing in July.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gehelem
5 years 9 months ago #26786

How are you going to deal with custom drivers, different type of observatory?
5 years 9 months ago #26788

Ekos already abstracts everything. This is not going to give you a generic web-based INDI control panel, it's a simple GUI for the basic Ekos modules.

For those looking for something can be hosted internally, there is StarQuew
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarun
5 years 9 months ago #26789

cool thanks, I'll check out this StarQuew too.
5 years 9 months ago #26790

• Thank you received: 29

Replied by Helge on topic Announcing Ekos Live

Regarding use case for cloud storage: thought it could be great for group projects, where users like us agree on a target (e.g. a certain galaxy) and upload all images they have taken of that target. Maybe, leveraging also on all the metadata related to the file, all such images can be stakked. So we could efficiently generate images with long exposure times. I am not sure if technically that could work, and maybe it is not a new idea, so apologies in a advance if this is a dumb proposal...
5 years 9 months ago #26797

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by Greg on topic Announcing Ekos Live

Re: cloud storage, would connecting to a service like Dropbox and others do the trick? This would allow users to use existing accounts.

www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation

I'd imagine you'll want an abstraction layer so you can switch between storage providers.

Of course, you could just have Live drop files into a local dropbox folder too. This is how I have my rig running today.
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Greg.
5 years 9 months ago #26799

Right now, I'm testing with Amazon S3, and it's going OK. Of course, needs to figure out how this all scales. Hopefully I'll have something ready for beta-testing in the next couple of weeks.
5 years 9 months ago #26800

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by Paweł on topic Announcing Ekos Live

My three cents:
1) To be positive - I love the idea of remote, web based front end to EKOS/INDI the more feature-complete the better! But does it *have* to be hosted? It will be nice to have that option but I would very much like the option to self-host it, even without any support. If not for other reason for the disconnected observatories or places with *very* limited bandwidth. Please Jasem, consider that in your plans. You will get alot of free testing and help with development if you make it so. I bet many people without sysadmin skills (most of regular windows users) will subscribe even to paid service if the price is reasonable but it will get very popular if you will make it open as well. Look at the github/gitlab story. Gitlab is expanding in this model and doing nice, I believe due to their open policy. The web-control with nice, low bandwidth protocol will be a life-saver for barely-connected (GPRS, long-distance DSL or long distance WiFi) sites. Hack this may even work over some LoRa technologies if designed well.
2) I do not see any way the cloud storage would work - you would saturate your *upstream* bandwidth in the observatory quite quickly - unless you have at least 100Mbps *symmetric* fiber in your observatory - which is probably not very common. Usual ISP links are *very* asymmetric IN/OUT being usually 8-16x. And if you have large out-bandwidth you can solve your problems with TeamViewer or something.
BTW: I would love to help in testing, but at the moment I am too busy with other things to commit. Sorry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
5 years 9 months ago #26803

Starquew is self-hosted and can control many aspects already.. even without requiring Ekos, just headless INDI environment would do.

Regarding the cloud upload, it's still experimental and I'm not sure how it will scale. For most amateurs who capture an image each 60+ seconds with an average size of 20MB, you'd need a 3 MBPS upload link which is not too bad.

Now if you're uploading 10 images per second with GPRS then this is clearly not going to work. The solution is designed around the average astrophotographer workflow. Cloud storage is an optional bit anyway. For now, only captured images are uploaded, but I'm even thinking of support upload in the future from system files (e.g. uploading finished processing images), so along with a powerful metadata system, it would be nice to sift through your images and view them at any time from any where. Add to that the ability to share links, post to social media websites, upload to Astrobin..etc.
5 years 9 months ago #26806

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Announcing Ekos Live

Astrobin is open source. Would getting an interface to this make sense as a personal cloud storage on a NAS or a rent server?

-Eric
5 years 9 months ago #26815

Time to create page: 0.401 seconds