INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

keyboard messed up in Ekos/Kstars on Rock64

• Thank you received: 16
When I use Kstars (v 2.9.3) on my Rock64 the keyboard is all messed up. I connect through Windows Remote Desktop from my laptop. The keyboard works fine in Ubuntu and OpenOffice. It even works fine in Kstars File menu. But when I try to edit a new profile in Ekos or try to find an object in Kstars, the keys are all jumbled, not the standard qwerty layout.
So far, I have used Kstars and Ekos on my laptop (windows), but I now want to use it directly on the Rock64.
Does anyone have a solution to this? Any help appreciated.

Edit: the problem persists after uninstalling kstars and installing the newest version (2.9.6)
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Wim van Berlo.
5 years 9 months ago #26827

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
There are known keyboard issues with certain VNC servers, such as with TightVNC. Switch to something like X11VNC or TigerVNC. I use x11vnc. it should resolve your issue.
5 years 9 months ago #26834

Will try that. Thanks.
5 years 9 months ago #26865

Unfortunately: no luck
I use windows remote desktop to connect to the linux computer. On this I have xrdp running and tightvncserver installed. When I uninstall tightvncserver and install x11vnc, I can't get a connection with remote desktop. TigerVNC can't even be located. (Note that I run arm64 not armhf on my rock64. Maybe there's no arm64 version of tigervnc?)
I have now uninstalled vnc servers and reinstalled tightvnc. remote desktop allows me to start a session, but the keyboard is still messed up in kstars. Ie back to square 1.
5 years 8 months ago #26933

I have always had issues with TightVNCserver and the keyboard.
I suggest you reinstall x11vnc and on the PC connect to it with a VNC client, not RDP. They are not the same thing.
You may have to do some configurations to setup x11vnc server for start on launch, passwords, etc.
5 years 8 months ago #26940

Can you recommend a good/stable vnc client for windows 8?
I just defaulted on rdp because it worked (so far)
5 years 8 months ago #26942

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wim van Berlo
5 years 8 months ago #26944

I downloaded this and the tightvnc viewer for windows. But I still have issues getting this to work. Tigervnc doesn't seem to have an arm64 version. x11vnc installs, but I'm having trouble connecting. Have to figure out the exact cause. It could either be a firewall setting or some services colliding.
5 years 8 months ago #26957

5 years 8 months ago #26986

• Thank you received: 24
I had an issue that sounded similar. I needed to run locale and locale-gen. Perhaps this may help.
5 years 8 months ago #26991

Thanks again.
Of course I run my machine headless, so there is no session to view. Fortunately the first link you provided contains information regarding this.
5 years 8 months ago #27020

• Thank you received: 24
Wim,

Please post back if this works for you. I have had to recreate my Rock64 and followed such directions. VNC worked, yet I was unable to get Ubuntu to find a different resolution (traveling right now so cannot say what resolution is the default.) The caveat is that I am using the xenial armhf image for the rock.

Even though I thought I saved my instructions, I cannot get the headless Rock64 to use the dummy xorg video driver after a dust-upgrade. Fortunately I have a backup image I can use.

Thank you.
5 years 8 months ago #27025

Time to create page: 0.677 seconds