INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Editing an existing driver

• Thank you received: 0
Hello,

My question is very simple, but I am a complete beginner to anything coding-related so I hope you can have patience with me.

My indi setup with astroberry is fully working with the exception of the Trutech filter wheel driver. By default it only supports five filter slots, whereas the filter wheel I have has eight slots.

I tried to edit the driver by downloading it via github.com/indilib/indi and simply changing the code so it sets the maximum number of slots to eight.

My problem now is I have no idea how to compile this .cpp file and turn it into a functioning replacement driver, if that is even possible at all. It has not been for lack of trying; I've been looking for a solution on the forums and the manual for several hours, but I haven't seen anything that I can understand. I tried to do the tutorials, but I ran into issues there as well.

If anyone could explain the process to me simply then I would be very grateful

Thank you
5 years 8 months ago #26889

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I can add a property to specify the maximum number of filters. But perhaps it is better to find if the filter can report this information back? I can't seem to locate the command set for the filter wheel as it was written over 10 years ago. If you can get the RS232 command set for the filter wheel, this would be great. Try to email Trutech or search for it.
5 years 8 months ago #26893

Hello,

This information doesn't seem to be publicly available. (On that note, the website that the TruTech Filter Wheel page on this website links to, www.trutek-uk.com/cwss/USB/ssu2.htm, is a 404.)

I have sent them an email.

In the meantime, I could test whether the driver responds to an increased number of filter slots, if you could show how to add the property?

Thank you
5 years 8 months ago #26908

I update the driver now, so just git pull and recompile and install.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sam Widdet
5 years 8 months ago #26911

I am back to my previous problem, which is that I'm not sure how to go about recompiling and installing the driver.

I've used
git clone https://github.com/indilib/indi
and changed the directory to the filter wheel folder, but I don't know what to do next. A friend tells me to use
g++ trutech_wheel.cpp
to compile but it's clearly not working.

Again, I am very new to Linux, so apologies for being slow on the uptake.
5 years 8 months ago #26915

No need to recompile, just use INDI Nightly Builds and it should be there.
5 years 8 months ago #26916

Unfortunately it seems like the filter slot option on the TruTech driver is still capped at 5.

I enabled the nightly build exactly as shown on my pi running astroberry:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/indinightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install indi-full kstars-bleeding

I then booted up KStars and then found the TruTech wheel driver under Device Manager.

Am I missing something? Is there something I should have done after installing the nightly build?
5 years 8 months ago #26918

The next build is due in 5 hours, so I guess have to wait until then.
5 years 8 months ago #26919

I installed the nightly build again just now, and the problem persists: when I run the Trutech wheel driver on simulation mode, the filter wheel slider is capped at 5.
5 years 8 months ago #26947

Go to Options tab and set the Filter Count first.
5 years 8 months ago #26948

After some playing around I managed to download the correct version of the driver.

I should have an opportunity to use the driver with a telescope in the next few days. After I do I will update this thread with whether the driver can successfully interface with the filter wheel after these modifications.

Thank you very much for your help.
5 years 8 months ago #26954

I am currently observing with my college's telescope using the new Trutech driver and I've run into a major problem.

The slider to adjust the number of filters is present under "Options". But when I edit it to reflect that there are 8 filter slots as opposed to 5 filter slots, it does not appear to actually change anything; under the "Filters" tab, the slider is still restricted to five slots maximum.
5 years 8 months ago #27252

Time to create page: 1.014 seconds