INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Plate Solver fails to solve

• Thank you received: 420
Great! And yes, make sure to save the options as El Corazon suggests.
5 years 7 months ago #28091

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by kostas on topic Plate Solver fails to solve

i return to this topic in need of help since i spent a lot of time in the cold trying to figure this out and i am very frustrated and sorry if am rambling. the plate solver does not work, out of the blue, even the online simulator does not work, the solver keeps failling and i have no idea why.

What i have noticed are the following
1) I have the astrometry files installed at a usb flash drive but at the alignment configuration screen the index files are not checked even though they exist at my usb drive, i tried at all of the pi's usb ports but i have the same result. one thing i noticed is that when i open the usb drive from the file exploree i have a KIngston, Kingston1 and Kingston 2 drives is that normal?

2)when i polar align i get the message that the index files 4201 to 4207 are missing but i have the path to my usb unchanged

3) i tried logging the whole process but i am not sure if i did it correct so i include a log file, by looking at the log file i came upon this entry

CCD Simulator : "Error: Invalid range for Width (WIDTH). Valid range is from 1 to 1280. Requested value is 3362 "

the atik 38l+ has an image size of 3362x2504 is there something wrong?
HEQ5 Pro Rowan Belt Mod, GSO RC8'', SW ED80, Atik 383L+, Atik EFW2, Atik OAG, SX Lodestar, ZWO ASI 120MC
5 years 3 months ago #32054
Attachments:

Shouldn't the astrometry files be checked?
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Joshua R.
5 years 3 months ago #32055

Re 1) no this isn’t normal. It happens when Linux “thinks” there was already a file system called Kingston and then the USB stick is inserted. It will then mount the USB as Kingston1. Apparently this has happend at least another time since now also Kingston2 was mounted.

When you boot your RPi3 WITHOUT THE USB STICK ATTACHED what do you see when you type

mount

? Also, does the file manager show a device or file system called Kingston? If yes, then this may indicate a system misconfiguration.

Wouter
5 years 3 months ago #32057

Take two. I installed ubuntu and kstars/indi/ekos and did a simulation test without any equipment and only with the online solver and the result is the same, the solver fails to solve the image. As for the usb stick issue since i installed ubuntu again i haven't seen this again.

i include screenshots of my simulation setup and todays log files. I use Kstars
Build: 2018-08-18T08:14:53Z,
KDE Frameworks 5.18.0
Qt 5.5.1 (built against 5.5.1)
HEQ5 Pro Rowan Belt Mod, GSO RC8'', SW ED80, Atik 383L+, Atik EFW2, Atik OAG, SX Lodestar, ZWO ASI 120MC
5 years 3 months ago #32072

Can you post screen shots of the alignment tab of Ekos and the three option tabs when clicking Options in the lower right of the alignment tab please?

Wouter
5 years 3 months ago #32074

here you go, note that i have not installed the index files yet as i am testing the online solver first
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by kostas.
5 years 3 months ago #32083

From the telescope coordinates: are you trying to solve around the north celestial pole? That is notoriously difficult and I’d advise you to “slew” to a different part of the sky.

EDIT Also, do you need the fits2fits option? This ONLY is needed if astrometry.net is version lower than 0.67 and should NOT be enabled for 0.67. If this doesn’t help try downsampling to 4 or 8 times and see if that helps.

EDIT 2: I see that the image already is binned 4x4 so downsampling probanly will not make a difference.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
5 years 3 months ago #32084

i have the default settings at the alignment tab and at the astrometry tab of the driver. I tried at a different portion of the sky, i also did that yesterday at the field with my camera, but the solver still fails. I had no issue plate solving near the pole at the field and at the simulation
5 years 3 months ago #32086

Then untick the fits2fits option and try again.
5 years 3 months ago #32087

i did that and still no success, also i tried with my ed80/atik383 which haw wider field and still no luck
5 years 3 months ago #32088

For some reason the sensor size is locked at 1280x1024 and pixel size at 5.2. i found it by updating the image bounds from the solver options and checking it with 12dstring fov calculator. The sensor specs don't seem to change even when i save the configuration and although at the ccd simulator tab it has the correct values stored. And even whit these locked values the solver still fails.
5 years 3 months ago #32090

Time to create page: 1.710 seconds