INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guiding won't start because calibration fails

• Thank you received: 11
I can't seem to get the forum to let me upload screen shots, but here is a link to multiple log files and screen shots in case this helps further diagnose the issue. It contains 3-4 log files and a couple of screen shots of the guiding tab in EKOS.

app.box.com/s/28yjhrs8ven0q3udxv0ayv48f2urf02i
5 years 7 months ago #28585

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

There are obviously still issues in the guiding calibration and I appreciate your patience on this. Just please do not forget to attach the logs and describe exactly what you're doing. Because there are so many variables involved, it's not straight forward to figure out what's going on.
5 years 7 months ago #28586

In my case I've got:
- Skywatcher EQ6R
- Celestron EdgeHD 8" with Hyperstar (FL is about 400mm with this) using manual focus (no autofocuser)
- ZWO 1600MC Cool for imaging
- ZWO 120mm-s for guiding using a 50mm guide scope
- Stellarmate on the mount using the EQMOD drivers connecting via a bluetooth module
- Mac connecting to Stellarmate and its running KStars/EKOS - I'm using ethernet because image download is faster, but it didn't matter whether I am using wifi/ethernet to connect to the Stellarmate I've found (apart from image download times being way faster).
- Kstars/EKOS is now on v2.9.7 on both the Stellarmate and the Mac
- Using EKOS for capture, guiding, mount control, plate solving etc. Haven't gotten experienced enough to try the scheduler just yet

My previous post I put a link to four log files as I seem to not be able to upload some items. They were all showing the issue and some screen shots of my Mac's screen when it was having calibration issues as well in case that also helps. I didn't get a screen shot of the guiding settings screens sorry.

Is there anything else I need to give you Jasem??
5 years 7 months ago #28587

I noticed that you had Guide Rate in 1.5x? You set this value in EQMod? Why is it so highly? usually guiding rate is 0.5x
5 years 7 months ago #28588

I have no specific reason, apart from trial and error. So I found that 2.5sec exposures and 1.5 "seemed" to be OK. I've had it set at .8 before too and that wasn't too bad. BUT being new, I'm all ears on what you think and what you see others doing that should be good exposure time and guide rate numbers. What do you recommend?

I set all this in EKOS and not in the EQMOS driver page (INDI drivers). Does that matter?

PS I'm going to try and setup again tonight to see if I'm still stuck with the internal guider and will be reporting back.
5 years 7 months ago #28592

In Ekos, the setting doesn't do anything, it just gives you the recommended proportional gain you need to set for such guide rate. The actual changes happen in the EQMOD driver panel. I used 0.5x and have very good guiding with EQ8.

Ok, if you start tonight let me know on StellarMate chat when you begin and I can monitor it from there assuming you have TeamViewer ready.
5 years 7 months ago #28594

According to www.avalon-instruments.com/support/13-tr...suggested-parameters guider settings look different between tooth belt and worm gear driven mounts. I'm owning an Avalon mount but haven't had time to check these parameters as I'm terribly short of spare time. Nevertheless, in case you can't get the guider to calibrate you may give these parameters a try.

CS
Klaus
5 years 7 months ago #28619

I had the scope out last night, and wouldn't you know it, it worked perfectly. Not that I'm complaining (at all) mind, but I'm no closer to coming up with a good answer on why this happened.

The only thing I can think off is that the other night, at this new site for the first time, I know for sure my polar alignment was pretty bad, like 4-6deg off, as I was setting up in a hurry and in the dark with no good view of the SCP. I tried to improve this and moved the mount etc. But it was still no where near as good as where I usually shoot from home.

Jasem I also took your earlier advice and had guiding at 2sec and 1x guide rate. It was getting 2-4arcseconds easily over about 4hrs of imaging......
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
5 years 7 months ago #28629

• Thank you received: 22
I am having the same issue but not all the time
just disconnect the guide came then reconnect it and just try to move your telescope both axis slightly or move it to home position and do plate solving again every thing gonna work i hope .
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
5 years 7 months ago #28643

• Thank you received: 160
Today I did a screen recording of an attempt to guide with and without the subframe box ticked. I hope this helps figuring out what the cause of the problem is. With SUBFRAME activated 100% of the attempts failed. To the contrary with SUBFRAME deactivated 100% of the attempts were successful. The video can be found here:

www.sendspace.com/file/ryhn26

The name of the corresponding logfile is log_22-27-57vid.txt.

Also attached is a shorter logfile of an attempt that did yield similar results (log_22-27-57a.txt). The guiding was done via Losmandy Gemini. Using an ST4 cable shows 100% the same results.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 7 months ago #28708
Attachments:

I did the same thing via ST4 with the same results. Log attached.
5 years 7 months ago #28709
Attachments:

I forgot to mention... included is a demo of a glitch (starting at 9:02) when I try to get the Drift Plot tab back. The arrow that is supposed to do it, doesn't work reliably.
5 years 7 months ago #28710

Time to create page: 0.856 seconds