INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos telescope hand control button crashes KStars/Ekos on RPI

• Thank you received: 3
First of all, I can't start without saying that KStars/Ekos is a fantastic piece of software! Thank you Jasem for developing it and for the continuous support!

I've now been testing Ekos on my RPI 3, at first I just used it as an INDI server but now that I got myself a new camera which has a rather large resolution, the size of the files I have to download by network can become an issue especially in star parties where network infrastructure is shared and can be under heavy load - hence it then makes a lot of sense to run Ekos on the RPI as well and just operate it with remote desktop. Mostly things work well, I've had a couple of crashes for unknown reasons, but now I've found that the telescope mount control always crashes Ekos on RPI.

Looking at the log output, the last message is:
QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled
Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior 2, swapInterval 1, profile  0) 

Now, since this is RPI I don't think OpenGL is supported. This is probably the issue - but why does the mount control need it? Everything else works just fine.
This is a bit annoying since sometimes it would be handy to move the telescope from my screen instead of operating the hand control.

Other than that, my experience has only been positive :)
It's great to see that the software runs on RPI and is completely usable.
5 years 7 months ago #28731
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thanks for the feedback. That is actually the reason for your crash and OpenGL is supported in RPI3. What OS are you using? There is a missing installation somewhere there.
5 years 7 months ago #28738

• Thank you received: 3
You're right, I could enable OpenGL from raspi-config. Testing it directly with a monitor it now works - however I still have a problem with XRDP which is the main use case anyway as I'll be operating on it remotely. I haven't found a solution for this yet. But yeah, this is a non-Ekos problem... I wonder if anyone else has run into this before.

Oddly enough, glxgears does run just fine under XRDP. When starting KStars however I'm getting the errors:
QXcbConnection: Failed to initialize XRandr
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to create any config

And then when it crashes:
Xlib: extension "XInputExtension" missing on display ":10.0"

And in the kstars log file:
[2018-08-19T14:24:49.942 EEST WARN ][                       default] - QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL are enabled
[2018-08-19T14:24:49.943 EEST FATL ][                       default] - Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior 2, swapInterval 1, profile  0) 

So, definitely OpenGL and XRDP related issue. Now I just need to scour the internet to find a fix... :S
5 years 7 months ago #28754

Time to create page: 0.447 seconds