INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to visually frame a subject?

• Thank you received: 0
Hi all!

I am trying to find the feature that allows us the visually frame a target and add it into the scheduler. At the moment, all I can do is to acquire/load up an object and it will place it dead center in the frame. What can I do if I want to offset it slightly (rule of thirds it for example) visually? Is there a way to do that?

I have tried looking in manuals, tutorials, videos, googling etc. and can't find anything; maybe I'm looking for the wrong terms. If anyone can shed some light on this that would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!!
Brendan
5 years 6 months ago #29520

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 66
you can bring up the mount control - top right of the telescope control tab and manually position the scope with the arrow buttons. you can see where the scope points if you go to the kstars star map - the mount control will stay on top of the window. Then take a quick 5-30 sec pic at max ISO to see if you like the frame.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Greg.
5 years 6 months ago #29530

• Thank you received: 301
If your problem is to give the offset to the scheduler, you can actually give the job target whatever name suits you, and enter RA/DEC coordinates directly. So once you find the coordinates of the center you want to use in the star map, you can configure the scheduler manually. Just pay attention to your real fov rotation.

-Eric
5 years 6 months ago #29532

• Thank you received: 0
Thanks guys! So there's no way to do it offline or visually? i.e. before I connect my devices and doing it via a GUI automatically? If not, I guess working out the Ra/Dec is the closest to it.
5 years 6 months ago #29543

• Thank you received: 31
Why not frame it as you want, run an alignment with "do nothing" to load the co-ordinates and copy the result into a scheduler job.

Paul
5 years 6 months ago #29544

• Thank you received: 301
You will need to clarify your intent: we provided you with one solution to do it offline, and two to do it online using the captured frame :)

-Eric
5 years 6 months ago #29546

• Thank you received: 20
My approach to framing is as follows:

- Take an initial frame on center. Decide how I want to offset from there, then find a star or object that
- Once re-framed, select the object at the center and right click->Copy Coordinates. Put these in a text editor. You want JNOW.
- In the Data menu, select "Manually add a deep-sky object" In that dialog, name the object. I use "PRJ-<object name>" so I can easily find any items I added for a project.
- Put in the JNOW coordinates. YES - it says to put in J2000. Doesn't work. Must be a bug. Use JNOW.
- Save it/click OK

Now when you go to Find - search for PRJ and your object will come up framed and centered as you wanted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
5 years 6 months ago #29547

Time to create page: 0.734 seconds