INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by Adam on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Yes, it is necessary because the kde stuff that is installed with homebrew depends on qt5 and doesn't see custom qt installations. Maybe there is some way to make homebrew recognize a custom qt installation, but I didn't manage to do so.
Building qt5 completely takes 2-3 hours on my macbook, with the patch applied (which excludes qtconnectivity, qtwebengine and qtwebview) it took less than half an hour.
7 years 4 months ago #11153
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

well, I've just re-installed my airbook, all nice and clean with lots of storage... off to download/compile/break stuff :D
7 years 4 months ago #11154

I just had a look at the homebrew github repo and it seems that if you do 'brew install qt5' without the '--dbus' option it should download the binaries and doesn't have to build from source. I don't know whether the dbus option is really necessary for the stuff that depends on qt5 though.
7 years 4 months ago #11155

so that way it should be even quicker? I might try this now as I am doing this installation.
7 years 4 months ago #11156

You could try it without the patch and without the dbus option. If the rest doesn't work then, you probably really have to build it from source.
7 years 4 months ago #11157

I shall report back once it's done. thanks
7 years 4 months ago #11158
  • Thank you received: 23

Replied by Jamie Smith on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Got pretty far, doing the make install. I am, however running in to:
[ 35%] Built target indi_ieq_telescope
[ 39%] Built target indi_sbig_stv
[ 40%] Linking CXX shared library libindiAlignmentDriver.dylib
ld: library not found for -lgsl
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make[2]: *** [libs/indibase/alignment/libindiAlignmentDriver.1.2.0.dylib] Error 1
make[1]: *** [libs/indibase/alignment/CMakeFiles/AlignmentDriver.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I am running on sierra - I see that in my home-brew folders that there is /usr/local/Cellar/gsl/2.2.1/include/gsl/, so I tried removing it, which resulted in:
In file included from /Users/jamie/IndiProject/indi/libindi/libs/indibase/alignment/AlignmentSubsystemForDrivers.cpp:11:
In file included from /Users/jamie/IndiProject/indi/libindi/libs/indibase/alignment/AlignmentSubsystemForDrivers.h:16:
In file included from /Users/jamie/IndiProject/indi/libindi/libs/indibase/alignment/MathPluginManagement.h:14:
In file included from /Users/jamie/IndiProject/indi/libindi/libs/indibase/alignment/BuiltInMathPlugin.h:11:
In file included from /Users/jamie/IndiProject/indi/libindi/libs/indibase/alignment/BasicMathPlugin.h:13:
/Users/jamie/IndiProject/indi/libindi/libs/indibase/alignment/ConvexHull.h:50:10: fatal error: 'gsl/gsl_matrix.h' file not found
#include <gsl/gsl_matrix.h>
         ^
1 error generated.
make[2]: *** [libs/indibase/alignment/CMakeFiles/AlignmentDriver.dir/AlignmentSubsystemForDrivers.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [libs/indibase/alignment/CMakeFiles/AlignmentDriver.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Should I have it in brew, or should it be picking up the one in the hierarchy I am working in? Any way to give it a hint where that folder is? (I recall Adam saying that he hadn't been able to convince it to find the usb or nova).
7 years 4 months ago #11160
  • Thank you received: 23

Replied by Jamie Smith on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Meanwhile, while Xcode updates so brew will work again...
7 years 4 months ago #11162

I have gsl in my Cellar too. Did you run ./configure and make in the gsl folder that goes into same directory as the indi source code?
7 years 4 months ago #11164
  • Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Last night, I ran a full scale test of the system at a friend's house during an astrophotography meeting with my SBIG 8300M, my Losmandy G11 mount, my meade dsi guide camera, and my moonlite focuser all attached to my raspberry pi 3 which was strapped to my 6 inch f/4 scope. The pi was just an indiserver for the mac last night, because my goal was to test all of this work I have been doing to get it working on os x. One complication is that my mac currently has no wifi because it is broken, it broke 8 months ago, so I am waiting anxiously for a brand new macbook pro which will arrive in about a month. The solution currently is that either I have to connect an ethernet cable between mt computer and the pi or the router, or I have to do what I did last night and use my odroid c2's internet sharing capability because it has wifi. So basically last night I was running kstars and ekos on my 8 year old mac, which then communicated through the odroid c2's wifi antenna to my friend's router, which then wirelessly sent the signals to my raspberry pi outside that was strapped to the scope, which then communicated via USB with the devices. Surprisingly, this worked very well for most of the night and I took a bunch of images of the flaming star nebula, a couple of the flame nebula, a few of the horsehead, and a couple of m78.

Plate solving offline was working great, communications with the gear was surprisingly fast especially considering the complications, Jasem's new autofocus routines that he just spent a month working on worked great, and most other features worked well. What was not perfect was my guiding experience, but then again, I seem to always have guiding issues no matter what I do. I really need to just spend one night just figuring out what works and doesnt work for guiding. Right now I don't know of my issue is with software, with my mount, with my settings, or with my guide camera. But since I have always had these problems, i don't blame Ekos. Another issue I had was with my raspberry pi, something happened at the end of the night where it became unresponsive and didnt give me my images for a considerable length of time. I dont know what happened to it so I will need to worj out the issue. But it worked most of the night, so something must have changed that either froze the pi, or took up most of its processor/memory.

Anyway, I think it was a successful test with running KStars on my mac, other problems need to be worked out, but I think all this work we have been doing trying to get it working on os x has finally paid off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
7 years 4 months ago #11168

I should mention that last Monday, I managed to install KStars a different way, using a tool called emerge. It will not solve any problems you are having with libindi building, but it seemed to be very happy accepting a different qt installation and it does simplify a few of the latter steps. I have two qt versions on my computer, the homebrew qt5 with dbus one that takes forever to install and the qt 5 installation that installed when I installed QT Creator. It is possible that the installation steps you are currently following would also accept that alternate qt version, but I don't know. I am not sure if it makes any difference whether or not dbus is installed, but without dbus, the scripting capabilities of Ekos would likely be very hampered. Granted, I haven't tested the dbus scripting capabilities on OS X yet, but I'm pretty sure without dbus, they would not work at all.

I did have a couple of problems with emerge, but I think I documented how to fix them. I first had a problem with the server, which can be fixed with a configuration specification. Then I had a problem with the extra cmake modules, which i had to manually install. (I don't know why, I think it should have worked with the home-brew ones) And third, I had some sort of problem initially with the breeze icons, but somehow that is fixed now. If you want to try this method, feel free. Maybe it will work better.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
7 years 4 months ago #11170
Attachments:

Please let me know if you get it working using either method and what you did to do it. Thanks!
7 years 4 months ago #11171
Time to create page: 5.480 seconds