INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Hi Adam, were you building using Jamie's script or some other way? Jasem was just changing some things recently where he changed to libindi 1.4.0 and he was trying to change it so that the modifications we had to make to libindi to get it build before would then not be required. Right now we are working on making the build process simpler. I don't know about the baseclient.h problem, but we will look into it, it is probably related.

Did you try the DMG I posted? it should work pretty well.

Also, for the astrometry options. Jasem's change to the Alignment module does disable all the controls if you don't have valid paths to astrometry. But did you try the options button at the very bottom right of the align module? That button should still work and let you change your paths. Just like you, I had a problem with my paths at first and found myself locked out of the settings, until Jasem pointed out the other options button that is not disabled.
7 years 1 month ago #14841
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 9

Replied by Adam on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Hi Rob,
I didn't use Jamie's script, I just built indi and kstars from the git-sources (using the homebrew method). It worked fine except for that little issue :)
Concerning the astrometry options: For me, the whole alignment panel gets greyed out. I can click the options button you marked in your screenshot, but everything in the options panel is then greyed out too. I fixed it for myself by changing the default paths in kstars.kcfg for now.
I also want to add that the homebrew method is very convenient now, as the homebrew qt5 is now shipped as a binary with the dbus addon by default, so installing and updating qt5 takes minutes rather than hours now. Also, the 'download new data' stuff works perfectly now with the hombrew kf5 frameworks as it seems.
7 years 1 month ago #14862

I actually wrote some code yesterday that was posted by Jasem this morning which might help with the defaults. We had a problem where you couldn't set the kstars,kcfg on different operating systems. So the defaults for the paths to the external programs were the linux defaults. So when I made the code work on OS X, I had to come up with a way to change the defaults for OS X when the user installs KStars, but not change it later when they set it to something they want. You would also want to keep your settings when installing an updated KStars from a dmg. Basically what I had done, since most people will probably be dragging and dropping from a dmg that we are about to post, is that I set those defaults when the user installs the data directory from inside the app. If you don't run that code or if you have nothing inside the app, then the problem was that the defaults for OS X never got set.

But yesterday, I came up with a way that we could programatically set the defaults to be correct on either OS X or Linux. So I coded the official mac defaults to be the typical external paths for the programs on os x. For example: /usr/local/bin/xplanet for the xplanet program and /usr/local/share/indi for the Indi drivers directory. So now, if you build KStars yourself, you would have to make sure you install these programs as well, but it will point to the right places.

For the people that use the dmg, or Jamie's script the defaults will still get set to the internal xplanet, indiserver, etc because then the code for setting the defaults when they copy the data directory would still be run.

So I think this solution should work for people who build KStars from source, for people who build from Jamie's script, or for people who drag and drop from the DMG we will be releasing shortly. In the first case, the defaults will be the OS X defaults, and in the other 2 the defaults will be the internal programs.
7 years 1 month ago #14866

Your other problem is the disabled Astrometry options. When Jasem first made the change, I had a problem just like you where I couldn't get to the options but clicking on that button at the bottom worked for me. So I wonder if your problem isn't different than mine. Did you export all of the correct environment variables when building? Perhaps the compiler couldn't find some required programs.

You can see if the updates I made today help with the problem. Maybe it is just the paths.

But also I noticed today that when I changed the paths to try to replicate your problem today, it no longer seems to disable the align module when the paths are wrong. So maybe Jasem made another change to it. Can you check to see if this is still a problem?
7 years 1 month ago #14867

As I mentioned in a post a couple of days ago, Jasem and I made some massive revisions to Jamie's script, removing all of the required patching of emerge and craft, patching of libindi, and patching of 3rd party stuff. Jasem fixed the build so the patching is not necessary. I also went through this afternoon and made a bunch more simplifications. And I tested the build script thoroughly building kstars using craft, cmake, and Xcode. I tested it on both an older and a newer system. So it seems we didn't break anything. I was also able to figure out why my code for using otool on the plugins wasn't working, it was a capitalization error. So I was able to delete the extra script I had written and just use the original one that was supposed to work. It is much simpler now. The changes are now posted to the gist. github.com/jamiesmith/kstars-on-osx
7 years 1 month ago #14872

So I just thought I would let you guys know just in case you didn't see it yet. Jasem released the dmg that I created the other day.

KStars is officially released for OS X!

knro.blogspot.com
edu.kde.org/kstars/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sean Houghton
7 years 3 weeks ago #14903
  • Thank you received: 8

Replied by Sean Houghton on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Nice work! My tiny contribution is a patch to homebrew-cask so you can easily install it with
brew cask install kstars

Semi-related, I've also added the sbig drivers so you can install them with
brew cask install sbig-universal-driver
7 years 3 weeks ago #14934

I can't get the internal indi server to work. When I check the box in the setting to enable it I am unable to choose any drivers.
7 years 2 weeks ago #15074
Attachments:

Did you install from the DMG or did you compile it yourself? If you compiled it yourself, then there would be no internal structure to the app, so yes no internal drivers would be found. If you installed from the DMG, then inside the APP, there will be a folder with the indi server the drivers and the xml files, a folder with astrometry files, and a folder with xplanet files. All of these files are inside the app located at /Contents/MacOS/. Please check to see that they are there.
7 years 2 weeks ago #15075

here is the internal structure of the app for reference.
Last edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by Rob Lancaster.
7 years 2 weeks ago #15076
Attachments:

I got it working after restarting kstars. It looks like a restart is required for a change to the internal/external indi setting to take effect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob Lancaster
7 years 2 weeks ago #15080

hmm, interesting. I will look into it then.
7 years 2 weeks ago #15084
Time to create page: 1.034 seconds