INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 8
You need to tell cmake where to find the ECM installation. I'm using Homebrew, but you should find a similar folder in the macports location. I still don't have kstars cmake completing yet, but this will get you a bit further.
kstars-build$ export ECM_DIR=/usr/local/Cellar/kf5-extra-cmake-modules
kstars-build$ export Qt5_DIR=/usr/local/Cellar/qt5/5.5.0
kstars-build$ cmake ../kstars -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debugfull -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/kde/usr 
8 years 7 months ago #4928
The topic has been locked.
I've managed to get kstars to compile and run on OSX. You'll need to apply the patches in my github repo, then set the environment variables mentioned in my previous post before running cmake. Make sure you run the "install" target, you can't run it out of the build folder. Also, I had to copy a bunch of resource files from the install output folder into my ~/Library/Application Support/kstars folder - I'm still missing all the icons and I think this isn't the right way to set it up but that's for another day to figure out.

Here's what I had to change to get it to compile on OSX:

github.com/seanhoughton/kstars/commit/5d...60e654c1098c4becea96
8 years 7 months ago #4932
Can you send me a patch? The changes are fine.
8 years 7 months ago #4933
A patch is in flight for kstars build errors now. Also, I put together a gist with what I had to do to get it to run on OSX. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the icons working - the install target puts all the data files in the wrong place for OSX and I'm still learning how KDE apps expect their data to be arranged. I can't figure out how cmake is transforming what seems to be correct CMake config files into odd paths with "shared" in them.

gist.github.com/seanhoughton/1b2649a2a0ef904d79f9

Note: the git clone can be replaced with the normal svn sync once the patch is live.

<code>

# Install the KDE libraries

brew tap haraldf/kf5
brew install d-bus
brew install eigen
brew install qt5 --with-d-bus
brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-karchive
brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-kate
brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-kplotting

# Grab kstars source

git clone git@github.com:seanhoughton/kstars.git

# Generate makefiles

mkdir kstars-build
cd kstars-build
export Qt5_DIR=/usr/local/Cellar/qt/5.5.0
export Qt5DBus_DIR=/usr/local/Cellar/qt/5.5.0
export ECM_DIR=/usr/local/Cellar/kf5-extra-cmake-modules/5.10.0/share/ECM
cmake ../kstars -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debugfull -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/kde/usr

# Build

make install

# Fixup content

mkdir ~/Library/Application\ Support/kstars
cp -R ~/.kde/share/kstars/* ~/Library/Application\ Support/kstars
cp ~/.kde/share/config.kcfg/kstars.kcfg ~/Library/Application\ Support/kstars
cp ~/.kde/share/kxmlgui5/kstars/*.rc ~/Library/Application\ Support/kstars
cp ~/.kde/share/appdata/org.kde.kstars.appdata.xml ~/Library/Application\ Support/kstars

</code>
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Sean Houghton. Reason: Adding note about git clone
8 years 7 months ago #4945
  • Thank you received: 2
I am having a rough time getting kstars-bleeding running on my Mac. I am running 10.10.5, and have Xcode 7.2.1 installed.
I am following seanhoughton's instructions, and got as far as this line:

before I ran into what looks like a dependency loop?

$ brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-karchive
==> Installing kf5-karchive from haraldf/kf5
==> Installing dependencies for haraldf/kf5/kf5-karchive: haraldf/kf5/kf5-extra-cmake-modules
==> Installing haraldf/kf5/kf5-karchive dependency: haraldf/kf5/kf5-extra-cmake-modules
==> Downloading download.kde.org/stable/frameworks/5.16/...odules-5.16.0.tar.xz
Already downloaded: /Library/Caches/Homebrew/kf5-extra-cmake-modules-5.16.0.tar.xz
==> cmake . -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS_RELEASE=-DNDEBUG -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE=-DNDEBUG -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/Cellar/kf5-extra-cmake-modules/5.16.0 -DCMAKE_BUIL
==> make install
Error: No such file or directory - (/usr/local/share/kxmlgui5, /private/tmp/kf5-extra-cmake-modules20160317-7933-9a6kzu/extra-cmake-modules-5.16.0/.brew_home/Library/Application Support/kxmlgui5)

(It's looking for kxmlgui5), so

$ brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-kxmlgui
==> Installing kf5-kxmlgui from haraldf/kf5
==> Installing dependencies for haraldf/kf5/kf5-kxmlgui: haraldf/kf5/kf5-extra-cmake-modules, haraldf/kf5/kf5-kconfig, gettext, libffi, glib, shared-mime-inf
==> Installing haraldf/kf5/kf5-kxmlgui dependency: haraldf/kf5/kf5-extra-cmake-modules
==> Downloading download.kde.org/stable/frameworks/5.16/...odules-5.16.0.tar.xz
Already downloaded: /Library/Caches/Homebrew/kf5-extra-cmake-modules-5.16.0.tar.xz
==> cmake . -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS_RELEASE=-DNDEBUG -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE=-DNDEBUG -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/Cellar/kf5-extra-cmake-modules/5.16.0 -DCMAKE_BUIL
==> make install
Error: No such file or directory - (/usr/local/share/kxmlgui5, /private/tmp/kf5-extra-cmake-modules20160317-8047-1vyebhq/extra-cmake-modules-5.16.0/.brew_home/Library/Application Support/kxmlgui5)

(kmlgui depends upon extra-cmake-modules, which in turn depends upon kxmlgui)

Any ideas? After about 3 or 4 days of dealing with dependencies, I got Fink to install kstars, but it did not include INDI or Ekos, so I spent another few days getting -bleeding to compile, only to run into a very nasty part-Brew, part-Fink mess that was causing runtime library problems. So I removed Brew and Fink (and all the stuff they installed) completely, and am starting from scratch with this recipe...

Best,
Jimbo
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Jimbo S Harris. Reason: bold around relevant bits
8 years 1 month ago #7321
Update:

I had to install extra-cmake-modules (ECM) manually:

brew install haraldf/kf5/kf5-extra-cmake-modules 2>&1 | tee /tmp/install.log
cd /tmp
tar zxvf /Library/Caches/Homebrew/kf5-extra-cmake-modules-5.16.0.tar.xz
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ../extra-cmake-modules-5.16.0 -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS_RELEASE=-DNDEBUG -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE=-DNDEBUG -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/Cellar/kf5-extra-cmake-modules/5.16.0 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_FIND_FRAMEWORK=LAST -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=ON -Wno-dev -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/qt5/5.5.1_2/lib/cmake
make
make install

I got the cmake parameters out of the "install.log" file that brew created. I had to add the CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH myself, after running it the first time and having it fail to find Qt5 properly on its own.

Once I got the proper version of ECM installed, brew counted it as a fulfilled dependency, and I was able to go on to:

and am continuing through the list from there.
8 years 1 month ago #7323
OK, I got kstars compiled using seanhoughton's method. I am now trying to work my way through getting KStars / Ekos / INDI up and running, and I'm getting a worrisome error in the logfile in the Terminal Window that kstars opens:

File opened: "/Users/jimbo/Library/Application Support/kstars/comets.dat"
klauncher not running... launching kdeinit
couldn't create slave: "Cannot talk to klauncher: The name org.kde.klauncher5 was not provided by any .service files"
Loading Supernovae data

I have tried running

/usr/local/Cellar/kf5-kinit/5.16.0/bin/kdeinit5_wrapper klauncher

from the commandline (which seems to be how to start klauncher, please advise), btu that spits out this error:

kdeinit5_wrapper: Warning: connect(/Users/jimbo/Library/Application Support/kdeinit5_NODISPLAY) failed: : No such file or directory
Error: Can not run klauncher !

Which leads me to believe that it's having a problem with the " " in "Application Support". Is there a way to get kdeinit to escape the space character, or some other way to get klauncher launched?

Any advice at this point would be appreciated.

Clear skies,
Jimbo
8 years 1 month ago #7327
Absolutely no experience here with KDE on OSX, perhaps you can try the KDE Forums for a better chance of response.
8 years 1 month ago #7350
Well, this has been an interesting ride.

About five years ago, I heard about INDI, and it sounded like a path out of Windows, and in particular, sounded like a great way to use my Mac for astronomy, natively (my observatory runs in a VMWare Fusion VM at the moment). At the time, it felt like there was just not enough device support to justify trying to switch.

This time out, it looked like there was a lot more device support, great job everyone, so I decided to give INDI a go on OSX.

After two weeks of fighting Homebrew, Fink, Qt, and KDE, I'm ready to quit again, for now.

In the end, I got INDI 1.2.0 and Kstars 2.5.0 (compiled under KDE 5.16.0 and Qt 5.5.1) running on OSX 10.10.5. I never quite got all the icons working in Ekos. I couldn't get the indi_qhy_ccd driver to build on the Mac, so I tried both Astroberry 1.0, and the latest Raspberry Pi daily builds (the RPi stuff was on a RPi 2 running Raspbian Jessie), where it built, but was unable to connect reliably to either my SSAG or QHY5-IIL.

I felt like I was a couple a moving parts away from a 100% Mac solution in the observatory, and was setting up to write a port of Lesvedome (K8055 based dome under ASCOM) as an INDI driver.

Perhaps this all just works out of the box on Linux, but I'm feeling like we are still "not quite there yet" on OSX, and so I will just put this project back on the shelf and go back to ASCOM for now. Maybe I will try again in a few years, when Windows starts wearing on me again.

For the record, the only reason I am running KDE on the Mac is to run Kstars, which, after all, is part of the KDE Education package.

A suggestion to someone with a little time on their hands, write a small utility that will enumerate all of the "full names" on a given INDI server. Trying to glean that info from log files was the second-to-last straw.
8 years 1 month ago #7383
Sorry about your rough ride, why don't you try the clients built specifically for OSX? i.e. AstroTelescope and AstroImager? This way you can perhaps runs INDI on a raspberry pi and the client on your OSX?
8 years 1 month ago #7384
Good luck with the OSX port. I somehow got it to work at one point and last month, after my older macbook had a beer-related incident and died, I tried to get it running on a different machine and ran in to a bunch of new problems. I'll give it another go this weekend and see if I can get something working. Note that even when I did get kstars up and running on OSX I had no icons. It looks like not many people are using KDE on OSX. I would normally just run it in a VM, but I was having tons of problems running any of the kstars VMs in virtualbox - lots of OS hangs, graphical corruption, and mouse-not-responding problems.

I deal with enough software problems at work, so I have a small frustration budget every month to use on my hobbies.

All the work happening on kstars/ekos is awesome so it's worth pushing through to try and get it working. I'm actually tempted to get a low-power laptop and just run linux on it for kstars.
8 years 1 month ago #7408
  • Thank you received: 76
:woohoo: LOL
:lol: Same here
This is what I did. I bought a second hand desktop from e-bay and leave it in the observatory running indi,kstars & ekos. I remote desktop into it.
8 years 1 month ago #7410
Time to create page: 0.569 seconds