INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Several things have happened in the past week.

I corrected a problem with the Gphoto driver build on OS X. By accident, it wasn't included when otool redirected the paths to files in frameworks.
ZWO ASI driver now builds natively in KStars for OS X.
We corrected the problem where several remote drivers that are available for remote use were not listed (like the post by T-Studio).
We directed the user to relaunch kstars if they change their driver directory correcting an observation Sean Houghton made a few weeks ago.

And I just updated the documentation on the OS X KStars page so the instructions are up to date:

github.com/jamiesmith/kstars-on-osx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, nMAC, Oliver, T-Studio
6 years 11 months ago #15825
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Matt Fulghum on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

So I've downloaded the prebuilt image, and tried building with homebrew, but the ZWO driver still isn't showing up. Any suggestions?
6 years 11 months ago #16006
  • Thank you received: 5

Replied by Alessio Beltrame on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

I'm testing Ekos on Mac OS X (Kstars 2.7.6). Unfortunately, I cannot connect any of my Canon DSLR's ("Unable to establish: +Canon DSLR Please ensure the device is connected and powered on"). I went through the Q&A, read all the docs I could find but I can't find a solution. Just for your information:
  • The DSLR is NOT mounted by the OS
  • Canon EOS Utilities are NOT installed
  • The DSRL is correctly detected by gphoto2 --auto-detect
  • Camera properties are correctly reported by gphoto2 -a
  • If I run the Ekos VM in VirtualBox the DSLR is detected and it works properly
  • I have the same issue with MacOS Sierra and Yosemite, with a Canon EOS 7D and a 7D Mark II
The above considerations seems to rule out any hardware issue (USB port, USB cable, etc.).
When checking the log I found a suspicious line:
DEBG - INDI Server:  "2017-05-01T19:39:42: Driver indi_canon_ccd: Number of cameras detected: -4."
The full log is attached.
While the problem is solved I can run Ekos VM, but having it run natively would be great. Is there something else I can check to sort this out?
Thanks in advance - Alessio
6 years 10 months ago #16452
Attachments:

Hi Allessio, I'll look into it and ask Jasem if he knows anything about it. It was working the last time I tried it, but the code may have been changed.

I'll do the same for you poobie, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Thanks,

Rob
6 years 10 months ago #16454

Allessio can you test this dmg? I was experimenting to see if I could reproduce the issue you reported and yes I did see the problem when I used a dmg build with my old Mac, but not with the DMG created with my new Mac. Please note that this is a Sierra-Only DMG since I did not build it with the El Capitan machine. Please let me know if it works with your Canon DSLR. I will need to figure out what issue I have with my installation on my old machine if this works.

Thanks,

Rob

drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ivMJINsdQ8SEh...UE0/view?usp=sharing
6 years 10 months ago #16456

Thanks Rob. I tried the DMG from Google Drive but unfortunately it didn't work. Just for the record, I tested it on my MacBook Pro (13" 2015 model) with Sierra. BTW, that's my current astrophotography machine.

Alessio
6 years 10 months ago #16457

Was it the same error that you reported before?

Can you try running a cloudmakers indiserver on your macbook and connecting to it from the kstars app "remotely" and then try the canon camera?
6 years 10 months ago #16459

Yes, it was exactly the same, including "cameras detected: -4"

I did it. EKOS connects to all the simulators I added to CM INDI server, however the DSLR does not connect. The only difference I noticed was in the debug message "Please ensure remote device name corresponds to actual device name.", which is expected as CloudMakers INDI server does not include a Canon DSLR driver (Canon DSLR's are supported by AStroDSLR, which I have installed and it's working fine. But, as far as I know from a previous conversation with Pavel, AstroDSLR uses Canon's API).
6 years 10 months ago #16464

Alessio,

Thank you, that is very useful information because one of my computers says the same error. Now I at least know it is probably just the one problem. I should be able to just study the differences in the dependencies installed on each computer. it is probably something simple like a missing framework or an out of date dependency. It will probably be.a couple of days before I can track it down though.

I am surprised the gphoto/canon driver is not in the cloud makers Indi server. I thought it was. I will have to remember that for future reference.

Thanks,

Rob
6 years 10 months ago #16466

I looked into this, it looks like Jasem did the work to get the driver functioning on OS X, but then the CMakeLists file was never updated to tell the system to build the driver, so the driver was able to be built and included in the dmg, but it just was not done. Sorry that this got overlooked. It should be corrected in the next dmg.
6 years 10 months ago #16467

Thanks Rob.
If I can help in testing or debugging please let me know.
6 years 10 months ago #16468
  • Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Apologies for being absent from this thread in months and from the Astro world. I had to dedicate all my spare time to my other expensive pass-time..... I'm building a vintage race car.
I'm going to slightly change course in my astro stuff, going to swap my Megrez 72 for a an old camera lens. This is to try to achieve my quest of a much more compact observatory.
6 years 10 months ago #16469
Time to create page: 0.604 seconds