INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos/Linux a few comments!

• Thank you received: 10
Hi guys
After using Ekos for sometime now, and when my linux laptop is behaving I think Ekos is the dogs whatsits and by far better than any windows equivalent and I`m indebted to the developers and I`d very much welcome the facility to be able to custom resize the many windows I have open to fit on my 15.6" laptop screen.
I use an NEQ6 mount,Atik 314 ccd,Lodestar ccd,ZWO ASI120 cmos camera and joystick so on a typical night I will fire up Kstars then Ekos then the Indi screen, connect everything up then preview my Atik with a fits viewer window, then my lodestar another fits viewer window and finally my ZWO with yet another fits viewer window and I find myself constantly maximing and minimising windows to check whats going on and the ability to monitor most if not all of these windows on one screen would be perfect!
When taking spectra through my scope I need to gradually nudge the mount so the star is placed on a slit which is observed through my Lodestar and the light goes through the slit to the Atik ccd and ideally these things need monitoring together as the slit is only 25 microns wide the positioning of the star is crucial!.
regards
Steve
9 years 2 months ago #3100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

If you're running KDE desktop, then you can make windows always kept above "others". Just right-click the window border --> more actions --> keep above others. You can then resize it and move it anywhere on your monitor. Notwithstanding that, I added an option "Single Window FITS" which will basically display all FITS from all cameras in one FITSVewier window, not sure if you will find this useful, but it is an option now in KStars --> INDI.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 2 months ago #3108

Replied by Steve on topic Ekos/Linux a few comments!

Thanks Jasem. I was running KDE on Kubuntu 14.10 and later 15.04 but I`ve just put Distroastro 3.0.1 on my observatory laptop and to honest I just fired up Kstars to check all the Ekos stuff out so not sure if it was KDE or not will check later :oops: . It has Kstars as I don`t think Kstars-bleeding will install (from another post on the forum!). So maybe the fits windows won`t be resizeable (is that a word?) ?. Does it need KDE installed to run Kstars?
cheers
Steve
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Steve.
9 years 2 months ago #3116

• Thank you received: 34

Replied by pauledd on topic Ekos/Linux a few comments!

What I observed: I can run latest kstars snapshot with kde5 which seems to require a full plasma-workspace environment installed AND started through "startkde".
I can also run kstars without or at least with minimal dependencies of kde/plasma-workspace without "startkde" with the side-effect of missing quite every icon in kstars and not applying theme/color scheme from kde. Since the same behavior applies to dolphin file manager I guess this is not an kstars issue but a kde5 issue.

I also noticed in KDE5 when I start kstars and I do a preview shot the new window opens always reset in size no matter what size it had before. I also cant rearrange the icons (Auto stretch,zoomin zoomout...) in the preview window. They are reset on every close.
--= human, without Windows™ =--
pls excuse my bad english! :)
9 years 2 months ago #3117

Replied by Steve on topic Ekos/Linux a few comments!

I don`t think KDE5 ships with Distroastro 3.0.1 so there shouldn`t be a plasma issue. I start Kstars from the `applications`-->education-->science-->kstars option. It seems to be working fine with DA 3.0.1 but I have said that before with other distro`s only for stuff not to work on the `only clear night for ages` observing run :P
I`ll try the resizing that Jasem suggests next observing session, might be just the thing!
Steve
9 years 2 months ago #3118

Yes, DistroAstro is based of 14.04 so KDE5 is not available. I think 15.04 is the first semi-stable KDE 5 release and IMO, KDE 5 will be quite stable in 15.10. I am now working in Plasma 5 on 14.10 and mostly no issues though.
9 years 2 months ago #3124

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds