INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How low can you go at the Kstars end

I don't think it will work, and at any rate, you'll end up with an old version of KStars/Ekos and a really old version of libindi. You have two choices:

1. Get a modern distribution that supports latest KStars (Kubuntu 14.10 or Fedora or Gentoo)
2. Install KDE Frameworks 5.3 and build KStars from GIT on OpenSUSE 13.2
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 1 month ago #3211

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41
I had a look at it, all dependencies should be available on 13.2 including KF5 stuff. So I would start with techbase.kde.org/Projects/Edu/KStars/Building_KStars_KF5
The following user(s) said Thank You: John
9 years 1 month ago #3212

• Thank you received: 0

Some one has done something along that lines and put a web server on the end at the telescope end that is in a 'pi 2. The various run times aren't too bad. INDI drivers can be looked after with either an Ipad or Android utility allowing that sort of thing to be used to control the scope. I've not looked at the driver aspect in great detail but .......

John
-
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by John.
9 years 1 month ago #3241

I haven't much interest in running Ubuntu or Kubuntu. In fact no interest what so ever. Very little interest in KDE 5 either. 4 still has some oddities.

I am getting some where compiling Kstars from source providing INDI isn't about. When it is I am getting compile errors - no known type conversion.

Where can I find source for older versions of INDI ?

John
-
9 years 1 month ago #3242

I think the only thing to do is to wait until Lupinix can make packages for OpenSUSE if he has the time. Otherwise, build the source on your own.
9 years 1 month ago #3243

The usual problem with trying to install the latest over older is undated library files and depend's problems preventing an upgrade without messing other things up. That isn't the case with INDI 1.x, just compile errors which is unusual.

I suspect as I sort of mentioned in the previous post that if I can find earlier versions on INDI it will compile. Surely the earlier versions are kept up some where ?

:evil: Sorry about the Ubuntu comment - I'm sick to death of seeing that one around - use it. : Whoops I nearly added something else.

John
-
9 years 1 month ago #3244

Bit of an update on this as I stopped trying in order to have a rest.

My last attempt had all dep's available and I tried building from KDE's original Kstars source. No problem with Kstars but the same one when INDI is about. Compile errors.

I have tried looking around for earlier versions of INDI expecting to find straight forward compressed packages but can't find any anywhere so far that I am sure contain the lot. Surely this sort of thing could be added to the sourceforge page ?

John
-
9 years 3 weeks ago #3424

Looking around further there is some opensuse 13.2 stuff around here

download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:...penSUSE_13.2/x86_64/

My desktop is still on 12.3 but all of these install without any problem other than the larger libinidi-1.0.0-46.1 which complains about "libstdc++.so.6 (glibcxx-3.4.18)"

libstdc++.so.6 is on my machine as is ditto 6.0.17 but only an earlier version of glibcxx. I'd guess I would break something if I install a newer version.

What i am not sure about is why 2 libindi rpm's ? As I have installed the rest for all I know I may already have linindi installed - worth sorting out before I look around for kstars and see what happens with various build of that or source.

The Fedora one I found is a better as it's kept as a real repo so can be easily used for auto updates if needed. It looks like everything needed is there but some how libnova MAY have been updated and other code in it wont accept it. That's here, I need to check the problem a bit more carefully.

download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:...sch:/INDI/Fedora_20/

Very thoughtful of who ever did that. A repo with everything in it removes most of the pain with updates. All really. Any conflicts are glaringly obvious.

John
-
9 years 2 weeks ago #3514

I did it, was my old testing repo I don't use anymore. The libnova014 is a compat package to get the Atik driver working, it doesn't conflict with the system version.

BUT: The repo I recommend is this one: build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:lup...indi:fedora-bleeding as I maintain it actively. Fedora 20 and 21 are supported, but bleeding edge KStars only works on 21.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, John
9 years 2 weeks ago #3516

Thanks. I don't get the opportunity to thank people who do this sort of thing generally. I have bug reported the build problems I have had to Novel. Unusually no one seems to have picked it up yet. I wonder if part of there problems is lack of earlier versions. Taditionally Suse lagged way behind. Since Novel they still tend to but no where near as much. This only relates to releases as well, not what people choose to install/upgrade. Fair enough in my view as they try to produce stable releases and often thinking of kde in particular have done better than others.

I just pinched a fedora libnova 13 and you test repo libindi now installs libindi.OpenSuse have provided 15 for some time now and don't seem to have ever offered this one going way back and moved from 12 to 14, then 15.

I then tried astrometry-net (is that the web based one?) then comes problems, netpbm-progs is needed, no problem but that seems to need libtiff_4.0. There are no rpms for this even on Fedora 20 but I did find one amongst a large list on a .pl edu site. :sick: then another it seems to need libjbig.s0.0. That seems to be well before the one OpenSuse install. Have to wonder which none distro libtiff-4 I should install?

John
-
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by John.
9 years 2 weeks ago #3518

You mixed up openSUSE with Fedora packages? Could end bad… I'm working on openSUSE packages too, but still need some time. Fedora and openSUSE differ in more points than I thoughd before.
9 years 2 weeks ago #3520

Not sure about that. I don't get too involved with the nitty gritty but have noticed that library upgrades can cause problems as can taking packages from mixed repo's - I have had that happen as one package needed an upgrade and all seemed ok until I rebooted. When a file or group are installed my impression is that they are linked via version numbers and that several different version can co exist without any problem at all. I suspect if you could group the odd things needed on opensuse such as the ones I mentioned in say one rpm the Fedora repo would be ok for both. What mustn't happen is that any of the OpenSuse ones get up or down graded.

In this case the problem seems to be down to files that OpenSuse have never provided and have skipped over the ones INDI needs. Libtiff-4 is an odd one as I couldn't find and disto versions of that just some none distro via ftp search. I just took one at random. OpenSuse has libtiff5 and I could also install 3. 4 seems to be missing even from Fedora. Libnova which I also mention currently shows that I have libnova, dito -0_15-0 and 014 all installed and could upgrade 014 to 014-2.2. I would be very wary of taking the upgrade without know what used it.

John
-
9 years 2 weeks ago #3525

Time to create page: 1.139 seconds