INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] Kstars crash after INDI start Kubuntu 15.04

• Thank you received: 0
I am using Kubuntu desktop 15.04 and Kstars 2.3.0. The INDI server is hosted on a Raspberry Pi 2 running Ubuntu-Mate(3.18.0-20-rpi2 #21-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Sun Apr 5 01:56:02 UTC 2015 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux). I can sometimes establish a connection to the INDI server, but Kstars crashes immediately after this; below is the Kstars output of the error. At first I thought it was a permission problem, but I am starting Kstars as root.

Below is the output from the indiserver
Thank you for your help, I have been beating my head against this for a few days.

UPDATE: Was able to connect to the telescope. Had a couple seconds of control before the above error occurred again.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Benjamin. Reason: update
8 years 10 months ago #4463

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I can confirm that this bug exists; I've been getting it (with the same error message) when running KStars inside the Ekos VM. I've just updated everything in the VM to the current (2015-06-24, around 0300 GMT) versions. Running an older KStars (from the regular package, not kstars-bleeding) under Ubuntu 15.04 (not in a VM), the problem doesn't occur. All this is with the INDI server running on Ubuntu Mate on a Pi2 as well.

In general, the whole KStars/INDI/Ekos system has been very impressive and I'd like to help with the debugging...but need some expert guidance to know where to begin.
8 years 9 months ago #4464

• Thank you received: 12
Hi

looks like the same problem as mentioned here . All sound notifications crash KStars.
You can try using phonon-backend-vlc by installing:
sudo apt-get install phonon-backend-vlc phonon4qt5-backend-vlc
I also had to clean the vlc plugin cache to avoid problems introduced by different qt versions:
sudo /usr/lib/vlc/vlc-cache-gen -f /usr/lib/vlc/plugins
To use the backend open system settings -> Multimedia -> Backend and Prefer the Phonon VLC backend.

cs Markus
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Markus. Reason: Format error
8 years 9 months ago #4466

This is an annoying bug with Phonon (a KDE multimedia component). Try the following, it might resolve the issue:
sudo apt-get remove phonon4qt5-backend-gstreamer
sudo apt-get install phonon4qt5-backend-vlc
sudo /usr/lib/vlc/vlc-cache-gen -f /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
8 years 9 months ago #4468

I've just tried making the recommended changes and running the latest in EkosVM with Ubuntu Mate on a Pi 2 controlling a NexStar 6se.

The bug appears to have been resolved with this change. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, the latest version is much more successful than the non-bleeding KStars with a Celestron in equatorial mode, so thanks for another important improvement! Further discussion about that belongs in the Celestron thread, I guess.
8 years 9 months ago #4473

I can confirm also that the suggested fix work immediately. Thank you all for the quick responses.
8 years 9 months ago #4474

Time to create page: 0.568 seconds