INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Problem with taking more than 5 subs

• Thank you received: 3
Hi,

This past weekend I had the first light with my new telescope. I had 2 clear nights so I started my first imaging session.
Unfortunately I discovered a new problem, which is that I cannot take more than 5 (light) subs. I wanted to take 36x5 minute subs, but it stopped after 5 subs.

In the attachment you can see what happend to the images in the file directory . You can see that the first 4 worked like a charm (i did a 60 second cooldown), but the 5th was not saved to the disk and the sixth image was saved as the fifth sub with filename Light_300_secs_005.fits. You can see there is a 11 minute delay between Light_300_secs_004.fits and Light_300_secs_005.fits. After this last save, Ekos cancels the job so the imaging job states 'aborted'. No further debugging information was available in Indilib.

I tried this a couple of time and everytime the same thing happend. I also noticed that when the problem appears, the file manager where you can choose a directory to save your files to also gives an error. You cannot select a directory. Besides Ekos there is no problem with the disk (SSD) in any filemanager. This problem only appears in Ekos. Also Ekos empties the directory location. It's a blank space. This happens regularly, even when everything works perfect, and also seems like a bug.

When making flats and darks I had no problem which I believe makes the problem even weirder.

I use the latest Indilib on a Raspberry Pi with Raspian and Kstars/Ekos bleeding on my Kubuntu laptop running 14.04 with the latest updates.

I have no idea where to look to solve the problem, but it limits my abilities to do long imaging sessions :( Hopefully someone knows what is causing this.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by JP Durman.
8 years 3 months ago #6611
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KStars on 14.04 is old and I can't support it, get Kubuntu 15.10 or wait until 16.04 is released.
8 years 3 months ago #6617

Oops.. sorry. I meant 15.04 :( Do you support this? :)
8 years 3 months ago #6618

I have to say, I upgraded from Kubuntu 15.04 to 15.10 and tried 10 test shots and it worked. No problems found yet. Perhaps there was some sort of problem with 15.04?

I'll keep doing some tests to see if I can break it, but so far so good.
8 years 3 months ago #6620

It seems the problem has not gone away after last nights session.

So i have Kubuntu 15.10 and started a test run last week with the lenscap on. I made 12 testshots and everything seemed stable,
Last night however, I started a session with all features enabled.

- Guiding with my Lodestar (binning 2x2).
- Imaging 300s subs with my Canon 1000D
- NEQ6 mount

Now the thing I noticed right before it crashes was that the file was saved on the disk, but not shown in the FITS viewer. The imaging job states 'aborted'. Afterwards, if you want to take new subs or previews it still isn't shown in the FITS viewer. The FITS viewer icon (the black galaxy) isn't greyed out, but if I click it to view the image, it turns to greyed out and no photo is to be seen. The FITS viewer can't be started.

Now i have other problems which could be related to this:

- Sometimes the configuration of the camera isn't properly loaded. The option save to memory card magicly enables giving a big amp glow in the images. Simply disconnect en connect the camera in Indi and clicking 'save to InternalRam' solved this, but its weird that this option enables itself while there is no memorycard in the slot and the option is not selected. I have to say that the camera itself cannot remember settings anymore (something to do with the internal battery), so I rely on the loaded config entirely.
- Downloading images takes 10 seconds easily. Don't know if this is normal. They are 10 MP images.
- I have no powered USB hub. Only a USB extender and 3 devices connected: Lodestar, Canon 1000D and my EQdir to NEQ6.

To mitigate past problems i have a rocksolid 23 amp 12v powerfeed in my observatory now. I also have a modified Canon 60D on the way.

If you need more info I can provide it a.s.a.p.
8 years 3 months ago #6659

Right now i'm imaging and am seeing live what happens:

- subs 1 to 3 work fine
- sub 4 isn't loaded in the FITS viewer. If you try to open it, the FITS viewer give some sort of error that this operation isn't allowed
- sub 5 is written as sub 4 causing the original sub 4 to be deleted
- sub 6 (Ekos believes it's sub 5) is written to disk but the FITS viewer stopped working and disappeared.
- sub 7 is written as sub 5 causing the original sub 6 to be deleted, which actually would be the original sub 5 :)

When you stop the job, everything acts up and you can't create a new image directory without getting error messages in Ekos. Shutting down Kstars is the only remedy until you do an imaging job and get to sub 4. Then it starts all over again.

This happens every time and it's a lot of time wasted as you can see. No clue to what makes my setup act differently because I use Kubuntu 15.10 and nothing special. Hopefully you guys do. For now I'm limited to 3 sub imaging jobs.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by JP Durman.
8 years 2 months ago #6668
Attachments:

Ok it looks like your problem is only triggered when you have everything running in Ekos. I would assume the problem doesn't manifest itself if you just run Ekos with the DSLR camera and capture with it? Please enable KStars logging (advanced options) and enable log to file. Next time you run the imaging session, send me the log file.
8 years 2 months ago #6670

Well indeed, i ended last night shooting 10m darks and no problem occurred. I have 20 darks sitting in a directory without a problem. Sub 20 was sitting in the FITS viewer, so also no problem there it seems.
So it's only the lights, which require guiding also.

I will enable KStars logs to see what happens. It seems we will have a clear night tonight, although with a first quarter moon, so options to photograph are limited.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by JP Durman.
8 years 2 months ago #6671

Ok, I just updated KStars as well so hopefully you get the new version. If you have access to your PC now, I can help in setting up a development environment where this can be tracked down.
8 years 2 months ago #6674

Great! I've send you a PM. Hopefully we'll get it to work so I can get some sleep tonight ;)
8 years 2 months ago #6675

Time to create page: 1.150 seconds