INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Flip-Flat

• Thank you received: 3

Flip-Flat was created by JP Durman

I'm interested in buying an Alnitak Flip-Flat Flat Fielder to automatically take flats, but is it possible to also use it to take darks? It would only require to flip the disk in front of the telescope, but not turn on the light :)

I understand that you guys were working on support for the Flip-Flat, and it was the first time I read about the existence of such a device, so I started wondering about it.

Taking flats and darks require me to go in to my observatory and do all sorts of changes to the system (dustcover, laying my flatfield on the telescope etc), so it would be great to have this automated.
8 years 3 months ago #6613

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Flip-Flat

your camera does not have shutter? Anyway, it is possible.
8 years 3 months ago #6616

Replied by JP Durman on topic Flip-Flat

I'm using a Canon 1000D. It has a shutter yes. Is there a better way to take automated darks without putting the dustcap on the telescope that I don't know off? :P Really? :) Did I put the dustcap on every time without it being necessary? Omg :P
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by JP Durman.
8 years 3 months ago #6619

So i guess it's not working, or do I need a separate shutter cable for this to work? It's connected through USB right now.
8 years 3 months ago #6621

That's the CCD telling you that because there is no shutter, you need to cover the camera which is the case. So if you have FlipFlat, the cover will close and then you will take your frames.
8 years 3 months ago #6622

• Thank you received: 46

Replied by Gerry Rozema on topic Flip-Flat

I dont think there is a way to take a frame using a canon dslr without opening the shutter. We always used a telescope cap when we were using dslr cameras.
8 years 3 months ago #6628

So just to clear things up. If you're using DSLR with FlipFlat in Ekos, you can automate your darks and flats. Now there is still an issue with automated flats for DSLRs that I haven't yet addressed (hopefully on weekend).
8 years 3 months ago #6636

That would be awesome... I struggle to find the right shutterspeed :) Automated would be best B)
8 years 3 months ago #6649

Time to create page: 0.565 seconds