Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
20 Aug 2017
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.5.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers.
Read More...

TOPIC: Remote astrometry solver

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 5 months ago #8935

Ekos Align module now support remote astrometry.net solver. So if you have the astrometry.net solver installed on a remote machine. Ekos will ask the INDI CCD driver to run the astrometry.net solver and return the result to Ekos. This can be faster if you don't want to download images from the remote machine. If you check "Preview", it will download the captured image from the remote machine regardless.

Please test.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 3 months ago #10101

Hello,
I'm interested in testing this, but I'm new to the process. Which document procedure should I follow to participate?
I installed astrometry on the server connected to the telescope, but right now Ekos on KStars 2.6.0 says "CCD does not support remote solver" when asking indi_v4l2_ccd.
Here's the versioning information, I suppose I should download and rebuild a bleeding edge version?
astro1 ~ # indiserver
2016-09-09T16:53:57: startup: indiserver
Usage: indiserver [options] driver [driver ...]
Purpose: server for local and remote INDI drivers
INDI Library: 1.2.0
Code $Rev: 2039 $. Protocol 1.7.
Options:
 -l d     : log driver messages to <d>/YYYY-MM-DD.islog
 -m m     : kill client if gets more than this many MB behind, default 64
 -p p     : alternate IP port, default 7624
 -f path  : Path to fifo for dynamic startup and shutdown of drivers.
 -v       : show key events, no traffic
 -vv      : -v + key message content
 -vvv     : -vv + complete xml
driver    : executable or device@host[:port]

Thanks for any pointers, sorry for the newbiness :blush:

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 3 months ago #10102

I would say yes, you should have the latest version installed on both computers. Actually, I got the remote solver working on my system before I could get the local solver working due to issues I was having. Now they both work great.

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 3 months ago #10105

So for my own reference, the procedure document is there: www.indilib.org/forum/general/210-howto-...st-libindi-ekos.html
The Ekos VM contains everything needed to build, but unfortunately I haven't found a way to generate a x86 binary yet (some SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES command?).

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 3 months ago #10106

Is this x86 system running Linux? Did you try installing kstars-bleeding or indi-full (depending on how much you want on the remote machine) from the ppa? That should give you the latest version I think.

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 3 months ago #10125

The INDI server is running gentoo linux 4.4 on a 32-bit Atom cpu. I'm using release 1.2.0 from the stable x86 ebuild:

astro1 ~ # equery l indilib
 * Searching for indilib ...
[I-O] [  ] sci-libs/indilib-1.2.0:0/1

I gave up trying to build INDI for architecture x86 on the Ekos VM, which is x64. I don't know cmake enough to make it generate a x86 build folder instead of the default one, which is x64 on this system... Plus I can't seem to install both x86 and x64 development versions of some libraries required for the build. Too bad for cross-compiling :)

Thus, getting my neurones straight and thinking just one second, I'm moving the developement build to the INDI server: this is a gentoo after all, so it already built 1.2.0 by itself and has all dependencies (20+ minutes to build subversion though...).

Right now in order not to have "make install" alter the current installation, I defined CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to /home/indi/indi_dev and modified CMakeLists.txt to have UDEVRULES_INSTALL_DIR target the same location. So I can have the "official" and the "development" version independent.

Next chapter in a few hours.

Last Edit: by TallFurryMan.

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 3 months ago #10130

• H__
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7

knro wrote: Ekos Align module now support remote astrometry.net solver. So if you have the astrometry.net solver installed on a remote machine.

Do you mean a working 'solve-field with indexes' as remote astrometry.net solver or do you mean a complete astrometry.net web interface with api as well ?

-- Hans

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 3 months ago #10136

H__ wrote:

knro wrote: Ekos Align module now support remote astrometry.net solver. So if you have the astrometry.net solver installed on a remote machine.

Do you mean a working 'solve-field with indexes' as remote astrometry.net solver or do you mean a complete astrometry.net web interface with api as well ?

-- Hans

Basically if you have the latest version of INDI running on the remote machine, and you are running the latest KStars/Ekos on the local machine, you can check a button in the align module when trying to use the plate solver to solve on the remote machine instead. The align module can use 3 methods of plate solving, online, offline, and remote. I find that the online one has issues with the astrometry.net server. The offline method requires the astrometry.net package, KStars, INDI, and index files to be on the local machine. The remote method requires astrometry.net and index files to be on the remote machine, INDI to be on both machines, and KStars to be on the local machine. There is no web interface for the remote solver and there is no need to use the command line. You just click a button in the align module and the solve command is executed on the remote machine.

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 3 months ago #10137

TallFurryMan wrote: The INDI server is running gentoo linux 4.4 on a 32-bit Atom cpu. I'm using release 1.2.0 from the stable x86 ebuild:

astro1 ~ # equery l indilib
 * Searching for indilib ...
[I-O] [  ] sci-libs/indilib-1.2.0:0/1

I gave up trying to build INDI for architecture x86 on the Ekos VM, which is x64. I don't know cmake enough to make it generate a x86 build folder instead of the default one, which is x64 on this system... Plus I can't seem to install both x86 and x64 development versions of some libraries required for the build. Too bad for cross-compiling :)

Thus, getting my neurones straight and thinking just one second, I'm moving the developement build to the INDI server: this is a gentoo after all, so it already built 1.2.0 by itself and has all dependencies (20+ minutes to build subversion though...).

Right now in order not to have "make install" alter the current installation, I defined CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to /home/indi/indi_dev and modified CMakeLists.txt to have UDEVRULES_INSTALL_DIR target the same location. So I can have the "official" and the "development" version independent.

Next chapter in a few hours.

I don't have too much familiarity with gentoo, but I noted via a quick search that it doesnt support the apt installation system and so you have to build or copy binaries manually. Is that correct? If so, why are you trying to build it in the vm and not on the target system? (I might have missed something). That way it will have the right architecture. On the other hand, If you were planning to build it on another system and just copy the binaries over, why dont you just copy the prebuilt x86 binaries from the internet instead of building it? I am not sure if that would work, but its just an idea.

launchpad.net/~mutlaqja/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 3 months ago #10138

Yes, the 'solve-field with indexes'

Jasem Mutlaq

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 3 months ago #10139

Basically if you have the latest version of INDI running on the remote machine, and you are running the latest KStars/Ekos on the local machine, you can check a button in the align module when trying to use the plate solver to solve on the remote machine instead. The align module can use 3 methods of plate solving, online, offline, and remote. I find that the online one has issues with the astrometry.net server. The offline method requires the astrometry.net package, KStars, INDI, and index files to be on the local machine. The remote method requires astrometry.net and index files to be on the remote machine, INDI to be on both machines, and KStars to be on the local machine. There is no web interface for the remote solver and there is no need to use the command line. You just click a button in the align module and the solve command is executed on the remote machine.

Online solver issues fixed, but I haven't pushed any fixes yet to the repo. Once I do, it should work quite reliably!

Jasem Mutlaq

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 3 months ago #10140

• H__
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7

rlancaste wrote: Basically if you have the latest version of INDI running on the remote machine, and you are running the latest KStars/Ekos on the local machine, you can check a button in the align module when trying to use the plate solver to solve on the remote machine instead. The align module can use 3 methods of plate solving, online, offline, and remote.

Can I choose which particular remote INDI server to use ? The machine running Kstars/Ekos connects to an INDI server which I start manually, and happens to be on the same machine as Kstars/Ekos but will probably move to a rpi3 someday. Next I have another computer where I want to run astrometry on. So there'll be two INDI servers involved. I can have the second INDI server connect to the first one, but on which machine will astrometry then run ? Both machines have astrometry installed, but one is a lot faster :)

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica