Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
20 Aug 2017
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.5.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers.
Read More...

TOPIC: Remote astrometry solver

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 2 months ago #10142

my guess is whichever indiserver the ccd camera is connected to since the driver tab for the remote astrometry solver is located in the CCD driver.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 2 months ago #10143

knro wrote:

Basically if you have the latest version of INDI running on the remote machine, and you are running the latest KStars/Ekos on the local machine, you can check a button in the align module when trying to use the plate solver to solve on the remote machine instead. The align module can use 3 methods of plate solving, online, offline, and remote. I find that the online one has issues with the astrometry.net server. The offline method requires the astrometry.net package, KStars, INDI, and index files to be on the local machine. The remote method requires astrometry.net and index files to be on the remote machine, INDI to be on both machines, and KStars to be on the local machine. There is no web interface for the remote solver and there is no need to use the command line. You just click a button in the align module and the solve command is executed on the remote machine.

Online solver issues fixed, but I haven't pushed any fixes yet to the repo. Once I do, it should work quite reliably!

Awesome! Then I will stop saying it doesn't work ;)

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 2 months ago #10144

If so, why are you trying to build it in the vm and not on the target system? (I might have missed something). That way it will have the right architecture.

That's what I meant with "getting my neurones straight". Building on the INDI server.
However, as I mentioned, the version installed by the gentoo ebuild is 1.2.0, the same as the package listed on launchpad.net.
Therefore I'm trying to build something, but that's not where the change is.

Could someone confirm where the change to support the remote solver is exactly? Not in libindi, for sure.

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 2 months ago #10145

I think it is in libindi. You have the right version number, but not necessarily the right revision number. The current revision number is 2616. I poked around a bit just now and I found that libinidi gained this functionality in revision number 2535: bazaar.launchpad.net/~mutlaqja/libindi/master/revision/2535

I think this might help you get the current libindi revision: code.launchpad.net/~mutlaqja/libindi/master
The following user(s) said Thank You: TallFurryMan

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 2 months ago #10146

Mmmh, it happens I was following indilib.org/develop/developer-manual/163...ent-environment.html instead of www.indilib.org/forum/general/210-howto-...st-libindi-ekos.html to setup my build environment... :S

Timestamps weren't that bad (latest is end of May), but obviously the repo is missing the change... I'll update my source and retry.
(Could someone update the developer manual?)

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 2 months ago #10147

Just updated the manual, sorry about that!
The following user(s) said Thank You: TallFurryMan

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 2 months ago #10183

Doesn't work (yet) on my side.

The INDI server is running tip of github.com/indilib/indi.git: indiserver, indi_v4l2ccd and indi-eqmod rebuilt.
I have many issues with my DMx21AUS04 (blank frames, saturated frames, mainly weird exposure times as described in www.indilib.org/forum/general/1501-expos...re-with-a-dmk21.html ), but I could grab Fomalhaut a few times.

It took me a while to understand I was missing python module "pyfits".

Now the remote solver fails with the following:
2016-09-12T23:55:59: Driver indi_v4l2_ccd: Command failed: /usr/bin/an-fitstopnm -i /tmp/ccdsolver.fits > /tmp/tmpVSAp4r.pnm
2016-09-12T23:55:59: Driver indi_v4l2_ccd: augment-xylist.c:588:backtick Failed to run command: /usr/bin/image2pnm.py --no-fits2fits --fix-sdss --infile /tmp/ccdsolver.fits --uncompressed-outfile /tmp/tmp.uncompressed.KZPugg --outfile /tmp/tmp.ppm.Sx2aR9 --ppm
2016-09-12T23:55:59: Driver indi_v4l2_ccd:  ioutils.c:549:run_command_get_outputs Failed to waitpid() for command to finish
2016-09-12T23:55:59: Driver indi_v4l2_ccd:  system: No child processes

Which is puzzling as the tool and the temp files do exist, are accessible, and the command does work by itself, returing $?=0 when executed at the command line.
Well, not much more for tonight.

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 2 months ago #10185

are you running those commands from the command line on the remote machine or on the local machine?

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 2 months ago #10190

This is the remote INDI server talking:
  • After rebuilding and installing libindi on it, the message "CCD does not support remote solver" on KStars disappeared.
  • However, whatever the capture, I got the message "Solver failed", and tracked the problem in the v4l2 indi driver stack to be a command failure.
  • Verified sci-libs/astrometry was installed on the remote INDI server (will re-check version number)
  • Increased the debug level of indiserver to -vv and checked "Verbose" in the solver tab in KStars to see there was an import error when calling one of the solve-field functions.
  • Used pip to install the missing "pyfits" (which on second though maybe wasn't a good idea, vs. gentoo's emerge, but well).
  • Gave up at the "command failure" message, end of test session :)

So to me this might be a problem with the installation of astrometry on the gentoo system, didn't check there yet.

Interesting to note, I had to rebuild indi-eqmod as there is a compatibility issue between libindi from trunk and indi-eqmod from 1.2.0 apparently. This is probably well-known, but there was no clue this was the root cause, even with "-vvv", though the only message I saw was a version exchange, followed by a blatant "stderr EOF".

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 2 months ago #10213

(sorry to spam this thread with my errands, I really want to help but I keep being drawn sideways)

For my installation of astrometry 0.67 to start solving, I needed to add pyfits (pip install) and media-libs/netpbm (emerge with use flags jpeg/png/tiff), as indicated at astrometry.net/doc/build.html . Too bad the gentoo ebuild didn't pull those along, maybe I'll look into that later. But even there I still have errors with the use flag "extra", supposed to enable plotting, but that's optional (cairo not finding netpbm apparently).

Right now on the Atom cpu, solving the demo images takes forever (apod1 crashes after 5min / 175 fields, apod2 is still running after 30min).
I hope a "real" capture, with a restricted field, can actually be solved faster, but I'm not there yet. :S
Of course, those are comments better suited to groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/astrometry posts. Continuing!

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 2 months ago #10294

With astrometry 0.67 built correctly with netpbm support, the feature seems functional, from KStars down to solve-field.
Eagerly waiting for clear skies to validate the tracking corrector :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: knro

Remote astrometry solver 1 year 2 months ago #10297

Unfortunately, back to beginning. Astrometry v0.67 confirmed working properly, but I still systematically get:
2016-09-17T20:09:36: Driver indi_v4l2_ccd: Command failed: /usr/bin/an-fitstopnm -i /tmp/ccdsolver.fits > /tmp/tmpzMXckc.pnm
2016-09-17T20:09:36: Driver indi_v4l2_ccd: augment-xylist.c:588:backtick Failed to run command: /usr/bin/image2pnm.py --no-fits2fits --fix-sdss --infile /tmp/ccdsolver.fits --uncompressed-outfile /tmp/tmp.uncompressed.SEZrby --outfile /tmp/tmp.ppm.e0kaUn --ppm
2016-09-17T20:09:36: Driver indi_v4l2_ccd:  ioutils.c:549:run_command_get_outputs Failed to waitpid() for command to finish
2016-09-17T20:09:36: Driver indi_v4l2_ccd:  system: No child processes
Right now I don't see where the problem is. The second error message seems to be the top-level command. But I can run it without issue from a prompt with the same user as the INDI server executes under:
indi@astro1 ~ $ /usr/bin/image2pnm.py --no-fits2fits --fix-sdss --infile /tmp/ccdsolver.fits --uncompressed-outfile /tmp/tmp.uncompressed.SEZrby --outfile /tmp/tmp.ppm.e0kaUn --ppm
fits
indi@astro1 ~ $ echo $?
So no clue... yet.

Time to create page: 0.402 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica