Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
27 Feb 2017
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.4.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers. Several improvements and enhancements are included in this release including native support for Cygwin and MacOS platforms in addition to Linux, BSD, and Windows (Client only).
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3?

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 4 months 3 weeks ago #12895

• u2pilotjt
  • u2pilotjt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Ok, all. I've attached the Idiot's Guide to Pi3 setup instructions that I've created from my efforts over the past couple months. EDIT: The guide attached here has been replaced with an updated version in the next post from me.

My intent here was to take was rlancaste gave me and expand it to be usable by someone like me that didn't know anything about any of this but wanted to install INDI/KStars on a Pi3 and get started. It is by no means authoritative, just a total beginner's take on how to get from start to up and running and skip all the Googling around and forum searches trying to figure it all out.

I just completed a brand new, from scratch, install on a fresh 32Gb SD card using these instructions and everything appears to be working just fine; so I'm confident these instructions work. I welcome input from anyone interested in critiquing them and letting me know what I did that was not necessary, overkill, wrong, etc. All I can say is that the instructions work and get the job done - right or wrong. It's a boring read for someone that knows what he's doing - I'm sure. What I'd love now is for someone who has NEVER done this before to take them and see where they end up and give me feedback.

What I'm wondering now is.....is it possible to package my existing setup as an image anyone can just install and use after following a much smaller set of instructions to configure some of the stuff to their specific circumstances?

Thanks for Jasem and Rob for all the help getting to this point. I hope someone can make good use of the information.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: knro, malcol@outlook.com, jamiesmithnc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by u2pilotjt. Reason: File update

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 4 months 3 weeks ago #12916

• u2pilotjt
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I already have an update to the guide. After sleeping on it and considering a couple other things I've tried, I managed to get the WiFi Hotspot instructions resolved and working. Had to use RealVNC instead of Vino to make the issues I was having go away. So here's a new file with some additions.

Last Edit: by u2pilotjt. Reason: removed attached file

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 4 months 3 weeks ago #12917

thanks for the Pi3 setup. Just wondering how is the performance when connecting telescope, CCD and focus control to the Pi3? I understood using Ekos server and indi servermanager can reduce the load on the pi but if the Pi3 can manage to run all devices + Kstars, I can see using VNC is another way to setup the remote telescope.

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 4 months 3 weeks ago #12918

u2pilotjt wrote: I already have an update to the guide. After sleeping on it and considering a couple other things I've tried, I managed to get the WiFi Hotspot instructions resolved and working. Had to use RealVNC instead of Vino to make the issues I was having go away. So here's a new file with some additions.

I pinned your post in the Embedded INDI forum, can you please make the changes there in the first post?

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 4 months 3 weeks ago #12919

• u2pilotjt
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Yabby: I'm sure Jasem and others can speak to the pros and cons of the various connection methods. I, literally, barely know what I'm doing....still. Which is why I generated that guide so others don't pull out their hair the way I did.

Now, the funny thing is - I haven't had first light with the Pi3 setup yet! Life, weather and various other issues (including things crashing with the Pi setup) have prevented me from getting this baby out for test drive. I can say this, though. When I go to make-believe land here in my office and connect everything up on the Pi3, remote into it with my laptop using VNC Viewer and take it for a test drive - it all runs just fine. The mount slews when I click the mouse on an object in KStars, the camera shutter cycles happily away at the wall and the SSAG seems to be waiting for a star it can guide on (including PHD2). I haven't tried a simulator with it yet. The image download from the camera is very slow, but that's not due to the connection setup. My 6D has large image files and the transformation takes a while on the Pi3.

Other than the image download time, it appears to operate as well as my usual EQMod, Carte du Ceil and Astrophotography Tool setup does when I test run it. So I think this setup will be just fine.

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 4 months 3 weeks ago #12920

I have Canon 600D (~18 megapixels vs ~20 megapixels of 6D) which I use for testing GPhoto driver. It is connected to a test Pi3 system over WiFi. The download literally takes a few seconds. I worked on reducing the file size generated by the GPhoto driver (from RGB to Bayer) so that's 3x improvement in size. If you're running KStars in Raspberry PI, you can reduce memory footprint as well by turning off Auto-Debayer (in KStars setttings --> Advanced). That should help to display the image faster without changing its contents.

So if you're running the latest stuff, you should see these benefits.

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 4 months 3 weeks ago #12921

• u2pilotjt
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks, Jasem. I added a new comment to my Canon 6D notes in my guide about turning off the auto debayer and the 3DCube as well (saw that in another post). Is turning off 3DCube also a good idea?

Also, is there a way I can post that Pi3 Guide as a document that I can just overwrite when I update it so I'm not posting new files each time? I don't have a web site I can hang it on or anything like that.

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 4 months 3 weeks ago #12922

Yes, we can make it into a website tutorial, I'll work on it tomorrow and will grant you permission to edit it.

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 4 months 3 weeks ago #12923

• u2pilotjt
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

knro wrote: I have Canon 600D (~18 megapixels vs ~20 megapixels of 6D) which I use for testing GPhoto driver. It is connected to a test Pi3 system over WiFi. The download literally takes a few seconds. I worked on reducing the file size generated by the GPhoto driver (from RGB to Bayer) so that's 3x improvement in size. If you're running KStars in Raspberry PI, you can reduce memory footprint as well by turning off Auto-Debayer (in KStars setttings --> Advanced). That should help to display the image faster without changing its contents.

So if you're running the latest stuff, you should see these benefits.

Jasem. Just updated and made the suggested setup changes. Yes, faster! In my case, it took just under 30 seconds for it to display a FITS image after a preview capture. That's down from well over a minute when I first started playing with it over a month ago. If I capture in NATIVE, it's just under 5 seconds between successive subs when I run a job; that's not bad at all as far as I'm concerned.

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 4 months 3 weeks ago #12928

• u2pilotjt
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

knro wrote: Yes, we can make it into a website tutorial, I'll work on it tomorrow and will grant you permission to edit it.

Thanks, Jasem. I would greatly appreciate it if you could at least take a quick look through the guide to make sure anything I have in there that's INDI or KStars related is correct. I will go back and attach the most recent version to the original post and then work with the tutorial version once you have it up.

Ubuntu Mate customized image for Raspberry PI 3? 4 months 3 weeks ago #12938

• u2pilotjt
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

knro wrote: Yes, we can make it into a website tutorial, I'll work on it tomorrow and will grant you permission to edit it.

Jasem: I see the tutorial is there now and I can edit it. The formatting is a mess and I'll go in there and clean it up nice and pretty for the readers as soon as I can.

Thanks! I'll try to keep it current.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MiHell

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica