Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
20 Aug 2017
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.5.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: QHY5 camera and Raspberry Pi

QHY5 camera and Raspberry Pi 5 months 3 weeks ago #15765

• kecsap
  • kecsap's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
This is FYI. Who may wonder why his QHY 5PII-C camera does not work on Raspberry Pi 3:
- after checking the USB cables...
- after checking the powered USB hub...
- after checking the AC adapter for the Pi...
- after checking with an other Pi board...
- after checking Raspbian and Ubuntu Mate...

...disconnect the ETHERNET cable and try again.

I just can't believe it: this CCD camera fails because the ethernet device sits on the USB bus. I replaced everything, tried even Ubuntu Mate, but the network cable was the culprit. D'oh!
The following user(s) said Thank You: knro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QHY5 camera and Raspberry Pi 5 months 3 weeks ago #15783

This is one the drawbacks on RPI3 that we are stuck with. Ethernet shares USB2 host, 100 Mbps, USB 2.0, and 1 GB RAM.

Now, if we can get USB 3.0+, Dedicated Gig Ethernet, and 2GB of LDDR3/LPDDR4, Integreated GPS, that would be a blast. I will add this bit to the FAQ in case someone runs into the same issue.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Last Edit: by knro.

QHY5 camera and Raspberry Pi 5 months 3 weeks ago #15790

I've recently played with ASUS Tinker Board ( www.asus.com/uk/Single-Board-Computer/Tinker-Board/overview/ ) which ticks some of those boxes (dedicated GigE, 2GB DDR3), unfortunately it's only USB 2 and the OS support is still fairly bad. The official supported OS is Debian Jessie, though I've upgraded to current unstable to be able to compile KStars on it. More memory and faster SD make it feel quite a bit faster than RPi 3 so I hope to be able to replace it at some point.

QHY5 camera and Raspberry Pi 5 months 3 weeks ago #15792

Yeah, the Raspberry PI is the most reliable one. I tried ODroids C2 & XU4 and while more powerful, they have issues in OS and also some hardware reliability issues.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?

QHY5 camera and Raspberry Pi 5 months 2 days ago #16242

For what it is worth, I have gotten INDI running well on both the Pine64 2GB model, as well as on an intel Edison. Granted I haven't done any video transfer, just transferring images from my DSLR and controlling the mount, but it appears to be sufficient. Neither of those boards share USB with networking though, and could potentially be viable alternatives to the Pi.

QHY5 camera and Raspberry Pi 5 months 1 day ago #16261

I'm now using an UP board. Not very cheap, but it was one that had gigabit Ethernet available. Running great on Ubuntu mate for some weeks now. Not sure about their support etc. though, seems a bit of a niche among boards.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica