Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jul 2018
Glad to announce of release of INDI Library v1.7.4 on 2018-07-25. A few drivers were added in this release as we continue to improve & stabilize existing drivers.
Read More...

TOPIC: Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 7 months 3 weeks ago #22680

When I am connected to one network or via a direct ethernet connection, I either select a different network or use the icons to start up or stop the ad hoc network. Then yes VNC loses connection, but then I reconnect VNC from the new network and all is fine. If for some reason it doesn't work, I have an ethernet cable to plug my laptop directly into the Pi, VNC in, and change whatever settings need to be changed.

If I press disconnect from _FieldWifi my PI won't connect with my infrastructure at home any more. Is it possible to explain what you mean with "use the icons to start up or stop the ad hoc network". Sorry for my question. I simply need a easy way to stop hotspot and enable infrastructure from remote.
Thomas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 7 months 3 weeks ago #22682

starhopper,
there is a Utilities folder on the Desktop that contains scripts for changing the network settings.
"Start Ekos Field Wifi" will switch the Wifi into access point mode.

In the field, I am usually using my iPad Mini to control my RPi, so I don't have a laptop to make a direct connection and switch the RPi to adhoc. The usb key idea is interesting, so long as you have a free usb port.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 7 months 3 weeks ago #22683

colgs3b wrote: starhopper,
there is a Utilities folder on the Desktop that contains scripts for changing the network settings.

In the field, I am usually using my iPad Mini to control my RPi, so I don't have a laptop to make a direct connection and switch the RPi to adhoc. The usb key idea is interesting, so long as you have a free usb port.

Similar to my own reasons for wanting e.g. USB (or something other than direct connection) to switch to ad-hoc mode when no infrastructure available.

Been investigating further and whilst beyond my Linux knowledge, I did wonder if "Autorun" might be a way to do this. i.e. setup a USB drive with the "Switch to Field/ad-hoc mode" script configured as Autorun (and configure the Linux to autorun without requiring user confirmation).

So you'd fit the USB drive, startup the RPi, the USB would do it's stuff (swtich to ad-hoc mode), then remove the USB drive and connect your astro gear (so USB drive would only need to be fitted at startup.

Based my revised thoughts on
https://askubuntu.com/questions/642511/how-to-autorun-files-and-scripts-in-ubuntu-when-inserting-a-usb-stick-like-autor
and
https://askubuntu.com/questions/284224/autorun-a-script-after-i-plugged-or-unplugged-a-usb-device

But I must repeat, I'm beyond my very limited knowledge of Linux.
The following user(s) said Thank You: starhopper

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 7 months 3 weeks ago #22684

Thanks for your answer.

Yes I know this button. This direction from infrastructure to hotspot is not the problem. I have no way from hotspot to infrastructure!

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 7 months 3 weeks ago #22685

• rlancaste
  • rlancaste's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 346
Ok Here is what I mean. There are two icons in this folder for starting the field wifi, depending on whether you have 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz (or both). That of course starts the ap mode. You said you have no trouble with this part. The preferred way to switch back is to click "Restart Network Manager Service," which will (as it says) restart Network Manager. Since the ap mode was specifically set up to not connect by default, then the pi will try to connect to any other available networks it has connected to before. This will not work of course if it has not connected to any of the available networks before, nor will it work if there are no available networks. If it hasn't connected to the network before, you will of course need to use the network manager menu to choose your network and to enter the password etc. I am not sure, but if I remember right, in connecting to the other network, it will stop the ap network.

Anyway, my tendency is to usually change networks while I have it directly connected to my laptop with an ethernet cable just to be sure there are no problems. But if you have connected to the available network before, then double clicking the "restart network manager service" icon is the best way to switch back. Just remember that if you don't have ethernet directly connected, once you tell it to connect to another network, vnc will drop the connection. At this point you reconnect to it via VNC over the other network.

Just a side note: There is another icon in the folder called "Restart Network Manager Applet". That is not the one I mean. I had to add this because sometimes the Network Manager menu disappears because the applet crashed. It doesn't affect your connection, but it is annoying because you can't select another network if the menu's not there. So I added this icon to start the menu back up if it disappears.

Hopefully this helps.

Rob
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: starhopper

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 7 months 3 weeks ago #22686

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Would something like this work for you?

www.amazon.com/Lightning-Ethernet-Networ...ompact/dp/B0725PYSP3
The following user(s) said Thank You: colgs3b

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 7 months 3 weeks ago #22687

I’ve never used one of those lightning-to-Ethernet dongles, but it is worth a try!

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 7 months 3 weeks ago #22689

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Neither have I, but it might work. And as a bonus, if you need it, you can have a wired connection if the wireless option is not working some night. Every now and then I have wireless issues and am always extremely thankful for my direct ethernet backup. I have a big long Ethernet cable that I always have with me while imaging whether I use it or not. Ethernet does not degrade with distance the way USB does. (it does degrade, it just goes much farther first.)

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 7 months 3 weeks ago #22690

I’ve ordered one, so I’ll let everyone know if it does the job.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 7 months 3 weeks ago #22695

Hello Rob,
thank you for detailed answer. Finally I found a simply solution to switch between astropi3_FieldWife and my own infrastructure WLAN. I have simply copied your utility icon and replaced the name of the wifi network in the code. This works fine here.
Thomas
Attachments:

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 7 months 3 weeks ago #22698

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Ah yes, that would work too. Good idea.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 7 months 3 weeks ago #22757

Rob, you were right! (It's always nice to hear, right?)
So, I bought a lightning-to-RJ45 adapter, specifically the following:
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725PYSP3/ref...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I then configured my eth0 for a static IP that matches the IP address my router normally gives it. For those that don't know how to do this, here is a YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qsyPTDU2aYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qsyPTDU2aY
Once the static IP address is set, plug in the lightning-to-RJ45 dongle to your iOS device. Open Settings. In the networking menu, below WiFI, you should see a Ethernet option.

Turn Off Wifi on the iOS device. Select the Interface, and configure it for Manual IPV4 Address, using the same subnet mask. My Pi was setup for a static 10.0.1.14, so I made my iPad Mini have an address of 10.0.1.42.

I fired up Cathode (a great terminal app), and I was able to connect to the Pi at the static address. I then ran VNC Viewer on my iPad Mini, and I was able to view the Pi's desktop. Cool!

Now the real test. From my iPad I launched the "Start Ekos Field Wifi", unplugged the RJ45 dongle, turned my iPad's WiFi back on, and there was the Ekos_FieldWifi access point. I had already configured this connection with a password, so I was able to connect. Running VNC Viewer allows me to connect to the Pi from here too.

I am looking forward to testing this in the field... when the clouds clear out.... It is great to have a headed headless Raspberry Pi. Maybe I'll rename it dullahan.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica