Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
08 Apr 2018
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.7.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers.
Read More...

TOPIC: Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 4 months 4 days ago #23374

Ha, awesome! Going to do a reinstall right away. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by supernov.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 4 months 3 days ago #23425

Thanks for all the continued work on this!
Just a quick question - if I wish to install this from scratch again on my Raspberry Pi 3, but take a backup first of my Ekos Configuration and local astrometry files (to eg. USB stick) do you know whether this is easy to do? *Maybe* it be worth considering a script inside the Utilities folder for this purpose also?

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 4 months 3 days ago #23426

• wvreeven
  • Away
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Yes this is really easy. Simply make backups of these files and folders:

~/.config/kstarsrc
~/.local/share/kstars
~/.indi

EDIT: depending on the additional data installed in KStars (images or the USNO catalog) that second directory may contain several Gb of data.
The following user(s) said Thank You: feilimb

Modded Canon EOS 700D with a WO ZS 71 ED on a SW HEQ5-Pro
Last Edit: by wvreeven.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 4 months 2 days ago #23448

• rlancaste
  • rlancaste's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 303
This is not a bad idea.

By the way, a few minutes ago I added a check to any file updating script so that it can check to see if any updates are currently in progress before continuing. I added this because I was getting really annoyed at my raspberry pi when I tried to run my scripts and it was encountering a dpkg lock which meant that system updates could not happen due to another update process currently running. The problem was that the script continued when it should probably stop until the other process is done. So I told it to stop the script with a warning message.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 4 months 2 days ago #23451

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I added the backup and restore script.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 4 months 2 days ago #23452

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Please let me know if there is anything else that should be backed up/restored or if there are any problems with the script. Thanks!

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 4 months 2 days ago #23453

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Here is what utilities looks like now.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: supernov, TheRealEleven

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 3 months 1 week ago #24128

I've used the script about a million times with Ubuntu Mate on my Raspberry Pi3 while trying to track down why my bluetooth dongle doesn't work correctly. The script is great, I can't say enough good things about it!

I used it again last night on the RPI3 but this time with Lubuntu. It seems that conky is not starting on it's own. When starting manually, conky give syntax errors but it does start. Apparently there is a new conky config file format. I've found a script that converts the config file to the new format but haven't tried it yet. Are there any other suggestions?

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 3 months 1 week ago #24132

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I am not an expert on conky by any means. I found a tutorial on how to set it up and configure it online and I then incorporated it into the script because I liked it. Currently I'm not having problems with it, but maybe it just happened recently. I do know that there is a new format for the configuration file, but the older format was working for me still. If you have any suggestions on how I should update it let me know.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 3 months 1 week ago #24137

rlancaste wrote: I am not an expert on conky by any means. I found a tutorial on how to set it up and configure it online and I then incorporated it into the script because I liked it. Currently I'm not having problems with it, but maybe it just happened recently. I do know that there is a new format for the configuration file, but the older format was working for me still. If you have any suggestions on how I should update it let me know.

I'm pretty sure it's an Lubuntu thing. I can't get it to load at boot at all. The format of the config file doesn't really seem to make a difference. Via command line, it does whine a little bit when loading but it starts just fine. I don't think the new format has anything to do with it not auto-starting in Lubuntu.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 3 months 1 week ago #24144

• rlancaste
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, it could be. One reason I recommend Ubuntu Mate is because that was the system I used to get it all working, so I know the script, KStars and INDI work pretty well on it. Also there seems to be an Ubuntu Mate image for most of the SBCs and it seems to work fairly well on them.

Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Script 3 months 1 week ago #24169

Hi rlancaste,

I noted today that a new version of the Raspberry Pi 3 (Model B+) has just been released and couldn't help but purchase one as an upgrade to the original Raspberry Pi 3 that I have been using. It boasts 5GHz Wifi (which should give a nice speed increase in downloading of FITS files, when connecting to Indi from another client machine) as well as higher processor spec etc.

I was wondering do you know / expect if the script you have worked on here should work out of the box with the new Raspberry Pi 3 version? In any case, when I receive it I can try it out and let you know if anything unusual turns up.

Last Edit: by feilimb.
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica