Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
20 Aug 2017
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.5.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers.
Read More...

TOPIC: Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact)

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 1 month 1 week ago #20522

• wimvb
  • wimvb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Sorry, just couldn't resist the pun.

Here's a short write up of how I installed indi and the web manager on the Rock64 (2GB) from pine64.org

Rock64 ubuntu installation

download of a Linux image to my windows machine:

download xenial-mate-rock64-0.5.10-118-arm64 from github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases
This is a the latest stable community release. The latest pre-release is 0.5.15 at the time of writing.

extracted using 7z
written to a 32 GB micro sd-card using win32diskimager

connected to hdmi, tplink usb device connects to wifi, cordless keyboard and mouse (logitech with usb dongle)

Booted the Rock64:
this starts the mate desktop (default login is Rock64/Rock64, you might want to change that for security reasons)

in the network manager for your network (that's where you've set the SSID, passkey), allow the network (wifi) connection for all users

From here on I used Putty to SSH into the Rock64. No more need for the desktop (but I keep it for future use with Teamviewer). So I removed the logitech usb device.

installed indilib full and kstars bleeding, see the ubuntu instructions on the indilib website.

Installed pip:

$ sudo apt-get install python-pip

This installed an older version. However, upgrading did install the newest.

Tried installing indi web manager, but got a compilation error:

Python.h - no such file or directory.

Solution: install Python-dev (use this for Python 2.7)

$ sudo apt-get install python-dev

(for Python 3.x use:)
$ sudo apt-get install python3-dev

Install indi-web:

$ sudo pip install indiweb

That's it!

(If it doesn't work, ask around. I'm no good at Linux, I just follow the various write ups and tutorials.)

Btw, I use a wifi usb dongle because I want to use the board outside with my mount. This takes one of the 2 usb ports. Eventually I will use the wired Ethernet port to connect to a local network, just for my astro gear. It's just that I haven't set this up yet.

Hope this can be of use to someone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wim

Opticron Oregon 15*70, Skywatcher 150PDS + ST80, AZ-EQ6 GT + EQ3-2 Goto, ZWO ASI174MM-Cool + Pentax K20D (retired) + ZWO ASI120MM, homemade ditherbox, PixInsight, Raspberry Pi with INDI & PHD2, cloud cover

www.astrobin.com/users/wimvb/

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 1 month 1 week ago #20528

Really appreciated!

What USB WiFi dongle do you recommend - would 300mbit be ok? I think my outdoor router (tp link) can only do 150mbit upload anyway.

Best, Helge

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 1 month 1 week ago #20529

• wimvb
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I have two dongles:
a tplink TL-WN725N which I use with the Rock64, and a Dlink (don't have the model right now, but equivalent) for my RPi
Both work on the RPi, but I haven't tested the DLink on the Rock yet.
I've never really considered speed, which is most likely compromised anyway, due to the distance between the mount (outside) and the router (inside). If I move the RPi with DLink dongle a bit further away, close to a small shed for shooting darks, I can lose wifi connection. So I guess I'm close to the distance limit of my device. And this is likely to affect transmission speed.

I may be using both the RPi and the Rock as indi servers. The RPi for mount control, and the Rock for imaging. The mount (AZ EQ6 with EQDIR cable) doesn't work properly when I connect the cable to a usb hub. But it works great when I connect it directly to the RPi. I still need to test real hardware control through the Rock.

Wim

Opticron Oregon 15*70, Skywatcher 150PDS + ST80, AZ-EQ6 GT + EQ3-2 Goto, ZWO ASI174MM-Cool + Pentax K20D (retired) + ZWO ASI120MM, homemade ditherbox, PixInsight, Raspberry Pi with INDI & PHD2, cloud cover

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 1 month 1 week ago #20531

Many thanks!

If I may ask: Why are you using two indi servers, to have more ports? I am using the EQ6, i.e. eqmod driver. Had some problems to connect, related to the serial protocol / serial port EQ6 uses. The following link helped:

indilib.org/support/tutorials/157-persis...al-port-mapping.html

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 1 month 1 week ago #20610

• wimvb
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
The Rock has only 3 usb ports, one of which is usb3, and which I want to use for my camera. Otoh, the eqmod connection to my az eq6 works best if the eqdir cable is connected directly to the board, and not through a usb hub. And I haven't tested how a wifi dongle performs when connected to a hub. My guess is, slow.
If I can get everything working on the rock, I may leave the Pi out and use only one board. I also have the option to use my router and ethernet. Then I won't need the wifi dongle.
Btw, I also need one usb port for my focuser, and one for the guide camera. I will try to use the on camera usb hub (imaging camera) for the guide cam. If that doesn't affect image download time.
I still have a lot to test before going live...

Wim

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 1 month 1 week ago #20652

Hi Wim,

In the meantime I have received the usb WiFi stick, and tested on the Rpi3, and it works without installing any drivers (looks like for that chip set it is already equipped). The Rock64 comes in a week or two.

When you started using the usb stick for the Rock64, was there anything you needed to do, to get it up and running?

Thanks in advance,,

Helge

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 1 month 1 week ago #20656

• wimvb
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
No need to install anything. But I needed to connect to the network by hooking up a keyboard/mouse and a hdmi display first. Just to select the correct network and enter the password. Same as RPi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HelgeMK

Wim

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 1 month 1 week ago #20657

I think I might try a rock64 as well just to see how it compares to my raspberry pi. I got an ODroid for the same reason. I might have a little shoot-out between them with my camera(s) to see how long each one takes to download images under different scenarios.

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 3 weeks 1 day ago #21053

Hi Wim,

Few days ago I received the Rock64. Thanks to your instructions, managed to install KStars and indiweb. In addition, I needed to add the followings steps:

sudo apt-get install perl-modules-5.2

sudo apt-get install python-setup tools or same for python3-setuptools

Now I have to issues left that I need to resolve:

1) The /etc/network/interfaces definition - I can somehow access the Rock64 via WiFi, but it is reported as eth0 connection, with a strange IP address (169.254.xx.yyy). Can you share what you wrote into that file - did you also define anything in the wpa_supplicant.conf file?

I found those instructions - do you think those may work for the rock?

learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-raspberry-p...fi-with-occidentalis

2) when opening Ekos or other already installs programs, the color themes are strange, making it impossible to read some of the menus. Did you experiencing anything similar?

Thanks in advance,

Helge

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 3 weeks 1 day ago #21059

So I ordered a rock 64 back on November 2nd and I finally got a shipping notification on Nov 13th that it had been shipped on Nov.11th. Now it is Nov 19th and I haven't heard anything since the 13th. Based on your experience, how much longer will it take?

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 3 weeks 1 day ago #21060

A 169.254 IP address is not that strange. That sounds like the self assigned IP address my laptop gives itself when it has no contact with a router and dhcp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HelgeMK

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 3 weeks 1 day ago #21061

Once I get my Rock64, I will test it with my setup script for SBC systems. That will make it easier for anybody that wants to just run a script to get their SBC all set up for KStars and Ekos. But until I get that system, Rock64 is untested. The script has been tested successfully on Raspberry PI 3, ODroid C2, and Tinker Board. (The last 2 were the 64 bit version of the script)

github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica