Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jul 2018
Glad to announce of release of INDI Library v1.7.4 on 2018-07-25. A few drivers were added in this release as we continue to improve & stabilize existing drivers.
Read More...

TOPIC: Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact)

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 6 months 4 weeks ago #22505

wimvb,
Try upgrading the firmware of ASI120 from ASI website. That solves my problem.
What I encountered was, I was on a Pi3, having one SD card with ubuntu installed, and another one with raspbian.
The ubuntu works fine with the ASI120mm (usb2)
but Raspbian unable to connect.
Then I go upgrade the firmware.. then works fine in both OS
Stephen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 6 months 4 weeks ago #22509

• wimvb
  • wimvb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Thanks, Stepgen. Will try that. At the moment we're very much snowed in up here, so no possibility to try other than a dry run in the living room.

Wim

Opticron Oregon 15*70, Skywatcher 150PDS + ST80, AZ-EQ6 GT + EQ3-2 Goto, ZWO ASI174MM-Cool + Pentax K20D (retired) + ZWO ASI120MM, homemade ditherbox, PixInsight, Raspberry Pi with INDI & PHD2, cloud cover

www.astrobin.com/users/wimvb/

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 6 months 3 weeks ago #22630

Hi Wim,
May I ask the fastest FPS (say certain resolution like 640x480) you can achieve on the rock64 usb3?
Thanks
Stephen

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 6 months 3 weeks ago #22631

• wimvb
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Haven't tried that. I only do dso astrophotography with longer exposures (30 s up to 10 mins), so framerate is irrelevant. But faster image transfer can probably reduce ampglow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sywong2000

Wim

Opticron Oregon 15*70, Skywatcher 150PDS + ST80, AZ-EQ6 GT + EQ3-2 Goto, ZWO ASI174MM-Cool + Pentax K20D (retired) + ZWO ASI120MM, homemade ditherbox, PixInsight, Raspberry Pi with INDI & PHD2, cloud cover

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 6 months 6 days ago #23153

sywong2000 wrote: Hi Wim,
May I ask the fastest FPS (say certain resolution like 640x480) you can achieve on the rock64 usb3?
Thanks
Stephen

I’m curious about this too. While we’ll do long main exposures, we typically do short exposures for focusing. My QHY163M gets about 1 frame per 6.1s at full resolution on my RPi3. The 163M stuffs the USB2 bus and will sometimes drop off the bus, so it would be nice to know the frame rate on the Rock64 (even if it is for other cameras).

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 6 months 6 days ago #23165

• wimvb
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
The Rock has substantially faster transfer times for images than the RPi. The time between exposures is shorter, which means you get more exposures per imaging session.
But so far, I find the RPi more stable than the Rock. Sometimes the filter wheel is unresponsive untill I reload the indi configuration settings. Yesterday, the camera would hang when doing sub second exposures, but worked fine later when doing subsecond flats. I haven't figured out the cause yet.
The RPi, otoh, just works.
The amp glow is independent of image transfer time.
My shortest flat exposure time (I set automatic exposure to get an average pixel value of 25 000 ADU) is less than about half a second, and the camera just rattles through exposures. My (very rough) guesstimate is an imaging rate of 1 - 2 fps for 4.6 MB images (2.3 Mpixels at 16 bit), saving images locally on the Rock. So even here, frame rate is still mainly determined by exposure time, rather than transfer time. I can time a sequence next time I use the camera (when taking dark flats, hopefully tomorrow night).

Wim

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 6 months 5 days ago #23243

• wimvb
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
For those interested in frame transfer rate of the Rock64:
I shot 150 dark flats for my 5 filters (30 per filter). The total exposure time was 192 seconds. The first image was registered at 20:18:06, and the last at 20:22:34
Subtracting the exposure time, that leaves 72 seconds for 150 images, less than 0.5 seconds per frame. That is for 4.6 MB frames from my ASI174.
Frames were saved locally on the Rock64, and therefore independent of wifi transfer speed.
(Btw, the first frame was a Ha dark flat with an exposure time of 3.75 seconds. This does affect the transfer time somewhat, but it's still within the rounding off accuracy.)

Wim

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 6 months 18 hours ago #23347

I think I just solved two major problems I had with the rock 64.

1. Issue one is that when the rock 64 is accessed in VNC, you get a black screen for the desktop. When I posted about this before, I mentioned that it actually does work if you use the xorg video dummy driver but then of course HDMI doesn't work. At the time, I was also exploring changing the conf files and putting in a dummy HDMI plug. None of that worked. So I came up with a solution this week. I wrote a script that will set up the dummy driver and uninstall the dummy driver so that a user can potentially switch back and forth between the dummy driver and HDMI. The script is in the latest version of AstroPi3 and is called installVideoDummyDriver.sh.

2. The second big issue was that the icons on the desktop did not appear when the Marco compositor was running and it seemed like no matter what I did, they wouldn't appear. I tried a method suggested on this webpage however, and that seems to solve it:

ubuntu-mate.community/t/marco-compositor...ng-on-reboots/8499/3

The solution is to make this command one of your startup items:

marco --no-composite --replace

I now seem to have icons! Were you guys able to get icons on your desktop?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: maudy

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 6 months 18 hours ago #23348

Everything else I had tried with the MATE Tweak tool and the compositor before made programs like KStars look simply awful. But this command seems to work out.

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 6 months 11 hours ago #23351

rlancaste wrote: I think I just solved two major problems I had with the rock 64.
2. The second big issue was that the icons on the desktop did not appear when the Marco compositor was running and it seemed like no matter what I did, they wouldn't appear. I tried a method suggested on this webpage however, and that seems to solve it:

ubuntu-mate.community/t/marco-compositor...ng-on-reboots/8499/3

The solution is to make this command one of your startup items:

marco --no-composite --replace

I now seem to have icons! Were you guys able to get icons on your desktop?

I got my Rock64 earlier this week, loaded xenial-mate-rock64-0.5.15-136-arm64.img, and I was pulling out my hair trying to figure out why icons weren't showing up on the Desktop. I started trying a bunch of different linux builds, but they all had other issues. I'll give it another try with your suggestions. Looks like the flash will get done right before I need to go to work.
Two things I have to do: 1) the ralink wifi adapter I bought doesn't have a prebuilt module, so I'll have to remember how to do that again. Fortunately, I have an older RTL8188 that seems to work although the range is poor. 2) the desktop manager or compositor was occasionally throwing errors and making the menubar inaccessible.

For speed purposes, I got a 32GB eMMC. Are you running off eMMC or SD?

BTW, that marco command seems to work for me. I have desktop icons!

Last Edit: by colgs3b.

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 6 months 10 hours ago #23352

Yes, as I posted on this forum a couple of months ago, there were a few annoying problems with the Rock64 and I think they are due to issues in the way they built the image, it was nothing I was doing. I believe at the time I posted that it was something to do with Marco and compositing. If I turned that off, it did show the icons, but then the programs would not repaint correctly. So far, this fix doesn't seem to have that problem. I just want to make sure of that before I add it to the AstroPi3 64 bit script. Also I don't know if it helps you, but I had put another script into that project that can install RealTek wifi adapter drivers, because I had a similar issue, but I don't know if your particular one is included. You can check. github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 6 months 7 hours ago #23354

I’ll have to some more testing when I get home. While the command allowed for the desktop icons to show up, both Firefox and Chromium are having display problems. But... I didn’t test the browsers before trying the startup command.

Yeah, the distribution builds aren’t comparable to those for Raspberry Pi. All the builds appear to be “Community” instead of officially made by Pine. Maybe this is an opportunity for StellarRock.

Time to create page: 0.341 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica