Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
08 Apr 2018
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.7.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers.
Read More...

TOPIC: Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact)

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 4 months 5 days ago #23357

I tried a number of different ways, including "marco --no-composite --replace" and using MATE Tweak to try the interactions of the Marco WM, but I either get:
1. Icons on the desktop but graphical programs don't display properly (Firefox, Kstars)
2. No icons on the desktop, but Kstars and browsers render properly.
So, for now, I'm going with #2 and have created shortcuts to the apps and utilities in my Applications menu. Now to test out my cameras and see about wifi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 4 months 4 days ago #23397

Hi Rob,

I have read about the issue with a blank screen you observed for the Rock64. I wonder if it is the identical issue I occasionally observed with the Raspberry (which I recently thought I might have resolved, see my post in the astroberry thread, - but then it was not)..

If this fix can help also for my Raspberry (astroberry server), then I just need to download your script „installdummyvideodriver“ and execute, correct?

Many thanks! Helge

P.S. I have put aside the Rock for some time, since I cannot run the astroberry-diy drivers, due to the different chip behind the GPIOs. Have you by chance identified a robust library to address the GPIOs?

This is the lib I found some time ago: github.com/swkim01/RPi.GPIO-PineA64

Though as it looks to me, it cannot directly replace the BCM2835-based commands, I found in Radek‘s script, see for instance:

github.com/rkaczorek/astroberry-diy/blob/master/rpi_focus.cpp

Unfortunately, my programming skills are close to zero, otherwise I would feel tempted to convert for the Rock64! :unsure:

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 4 months 4 days ago #23399

Hi Helge,

You should not have any issue with VNC on raspberry pi. I used to install the dummy driver and set up a config file on the raspberry pi the way that I had to do for the script on the rock64, which is why I knew how to do it. But, the secret to the Raspberry Pi is to edit the boot configuration files correctly. If you do it that way, then both VNC and HDMI should work great!

See my instructions on how to get set up to run my script. github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3

Thanks,

Rob

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 4 months 3 days ago #23409

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for your reply. Actually, I am using the astroberry server, headless. I guess it may not have the dummy driver installed. I have seen your instructions. The HDMI settings were already configured as suggested. I will then give your dummy driver a try and revert.

Best, Helge

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 3 months 2 weeks ago #23950

So I thought I had solved most of the problems on the Rock64 with the xenial mate image provided by the rock64 community. But then I decided I wanted to change the settings in users and groups. So I clicked on that in the menu the same way I always have on a Raspberry Pi or Odroid, but instead of opening, it gave this message:

The configuration could not be loaded: an unknown error occurred.

So then I tried launching users-admin from the command line both with and without sudo (just in case). It gave the same error, but provided more information in the terminal window.
Liboobs-WARNING **: There was an unknown error communicating with the backends:
org.freedesktop.systemtoolsbackends permission denied

I suspect this means the user rock64 is not a member of an important group, but I can't figure out which one. rock64 is a member of the sudoers, ssh, sambashare, audio, and a number of others.

Anybody know how to fix this one?

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 3 months 2 weeks ago #23974

Hi Rob
I had a similar problem to change language: when I inserted the Italian it gave me a dbus error (if I remember correctly) ...
I reinstalled dbus and it worked ...
I tell you because I tried to enter users and groups and I have no mistake. I suspect the dbus may be the manager since it was the only thing I did with your script ....
I hope you help solve

Paolo

Ciao Rob
Ho avuto un problema simile per cambiare lingua: quando inserivo l'italiano mi dava un errore di dbus (se mi ricordo bene)...
Ho reinstallato dbus e ha funzionato...
Te lo dico perchè ho provato ad entrare negli utenti e gruppi e non ho nessun errore. Sospetto che il dbus possa essere il responsabile dato che è stata l'unica cosa che ho fatto insieme al tuo script....
Spero ti aiuti a risolvere

Paolo

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 3 months 1 week ago #24156

rlancaste wrote: Liboobs-WARNING **: There was an unknown error communicating with the backends:

You're not the only seeing this. I replied to a post on the Rock64 focus with the same issue.
forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=5840&pid=36176#pid36176

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 3 months 1 week ago #24179

colgs3b wrote:

rlancaste wrote: Liboobs-WARNING **: There was an unknown error communicating with the backends:

You're not the only seeing this. I replied to a post on the Rock64 focus with the same issue.
forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=5840&pid=36176#pid36176

Try the following commands in a terminal:

sudo chown root:messagebus /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper
sudo chmod u+s /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper

Seems to work now.

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 3 months 1 week ago #24180

Yes this works nicely! Good work!

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 3 months 1 week ago #24193

Can I ask a question, I am looking at getting the Rock64 and have a perfectly good working rpi3 with stellarmate OS on, would it be a case of just swapping the SD card over and off I go, or am I missing something major here...??
:)

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 3 months 1 week ago #24194

It would be nice if that worked, but no, you need the Rock64 Ubuntu-Mate image to start. Yes it is the same OS/distribution, but there are differences due to the hardware. I don't think it would work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 3 months 6 days ago #24201

• wimvb
  • wimvb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12

AstroNerd wrote: Can I ask a question, I am looking at getting the Rock64 and have a perfectly good working rpi3 with stellarmate OS on, would it be a case of just swapping the SD card over and off I go, or am I missing something major here...??
:)

The Rock has a different processor than the Raspberry Pi, and you can't just swap sd cards. But installation is about the same as you would a standard RPi. Install an OS (Ubuntu Mate), link to the PPA's and install the software. I don't know if Stellarmate is available for the Rock, but the standard INDI distribution works, as does PHD. The Rock is a LOT faster than the RPi (RPi 3B, I haven't tested the new B+ model).
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd

Wim

Opticron Oregon 15*70, Skywatcher 150PDS + ST80, AZ-EQ6 GT + EQ3-2 Goto, ZWO ASI174MM-Cool + Pentax K20D (retired) + ZWO ASI120MM, homemade ditherbox, PixInsight, Raspberry Pi with INDI & PHD2, cloud cover

www.astrobin.com/users/wimvb/
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica